Italian Football Thread

Kris.

Good result for Lazio against Fiorentina last night. For such a poor start, they find themselves just two points off the top four. 

Ribery had a meltdown at the end, pushing an official. Would expect a suspension for that. 

On 26/10/2019 at 20:47, DiegoDiego said:

Tonali scores a supremely beautiful free kick from the edge of the pitch, well worth a watch. Brescia one nil up at half time.

Edit: just watch the highlights in full, three belters from Genoa as well.

He's an absolutely outstanding player. Another great performance against Inter last night and still only 19 years old. Manchester United supposedly interested but he's a player Liverpool/Arsenal etc. should be bursting to get too.

Here's the video of his free-kick:

4 hours ago, TavTastic said:

He's an absolutely outstanding player. Another great performance against Inter last night and still only 19 years old. Manchester United supposedly interested but he's a player Liverpool/Arsenal etc. should be bursting to get too.

Here's the video of his free-kick:

I agree that he's fantastic, one of those players I first heard of through Football Manager and have since been keeping an eye on his career. 

In terms of moving to England, Arsenal or Man Utd could probably use a player of his skills most and that's where he would get a better chance of first team football.   I can't see him getting ahead of Fabinho or Henderson at Liverpool

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

I can't see him getting ahead of Fabinho or Henderson at Liverpool

For me he's exactly the kind of player that Liverpool are missing in there. I do agree that Henderson has really stepped it up this season but I still think Liverpool need a technically proficient playmaker.

Just now, TavTastic said:

For me he's exactly the kind of player that Liverpool are missing in there. I do agree that Henderson has really stepped it up this season but I still think Liverpool need a technically proficient playmaker.

Liverpool are more in need of an advanced/attack minded playmaker than Tonali (who seems to be best in a more deep lying rime).  From what I have seen in his last couple of performances, Oxlade-Chamberlain looks like he could be that player (that Kieta was supposed to be) while Tonali plays a more similar game to what Fabinho and Henderson already play.  Man U and Arsenal are much more in need of the deep lying playmaker to support their attacking players, Arsenal especially who often like a 4-2-3-1

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Liverpool are more in need of an advanced/attack minded playmaker than Tonali (who seems to be best in a more deep lying rime).  From what I have seen in his last couple of performances, Oxlade-Chamberlain looks like he could be that player (that Kieta was supposed to be) while Tonali plays a more similar game to what Fabinho and Henderson already play.  Man U and Arsenal are much more in need of the deep lying playmaker to support their attacking players, Arsenal especially who often like a 4-2-3-1

I've seen almost every Liverpool game this season and still think they are missing someone who can be more creative centrally but do enough defensive work to still fit Klopp's system. Strange to criticise a team with one only two points dropped out of the last twenty games but is noticable how reliant on wide play they can be. 

Inter fans were near unanimous in calling for Tonali to be signed which probably means he is Juve bound.

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
On 29/10/2019 at 16:20, Granny Danger said:
Match bans for blasphemy!  What a fucking joke.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50221110

Most Italians I've spoken to agree with this. You can still get a €300 fine for blasphemy in Padova.

strange place Italy - contrast that with the properly local patter in Verona consisting almost entirely (well - quite a bit) of two-word expletives, one of which is "god" plus any number of other words - f**k, pig, dog, whore etc etc

also - 90th minute Juve penalty against Genoa, for f**k's sake - time for a return to refereeing assignments being made by a random draw, I reckon (that leads to good things...)

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
On 29/10/2019 at 16:20, Granny Danger said:
Match bans for blasphemy!  What a fucking joke.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50221110

Most Italians I've spoken to agree with this. You can still get a €300 fine for blasphemy in Padova.

That just reinforces how backward thinking they are.

That just reinforces how backward thinking they are.
You can get a straight red for foul and abusive language in Scotland too. Insulting someone's religion surely comes under that.

If there was a Muslim referee in the Championship and Shankland said "Allah shags pigs" to him after receiving a red there would probably be a significant proportion of the public backing a match ban for him.

16 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

You can get a straight red for foul and abusive language in Scotland too. Insulting someone's religion surely comes under that.

If there was a Muslim referee in the Championship and Shankland said "Allah shags pigs" to him after receiving a red there would probably be a significant proportion of the public backing a match ban for him.

If any player makes a comment specifically aimed at an official’s religion I would imagine that would be a disciplinary offence.

But if a player utters “Jesus fucking Christ” I imagine that would be classed as blasphemy but would not IMO be a disciplinary matter.

If any player makes a comment specifically aimed at an official’s religion I would imagine that would be a disciplinary offence.
But if a player utters “Jesus fucking Christ” I imagine that would be classed as blasphemy but would not IMO be a disciplinary matter.
It's just a difference in culture I guess. Over here it's more offensive to say "God's a dog" to someone than to call that person a dog and more offensive to say "for God's sake" than "for f**k's sake".

VAR causing a bit of a shambles in the Napoli-Atalanta game, Ancelotti and the Napoli chairman are raging about it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50243858

In the incident in question, Napoli do have a good case for a penalty at the other end of the pitch but they didn't play to the whistle and allowed Atalanta far too much time to put the ball in the net

5 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

VAR causing a bit of a shambles in the Napoli-Atalanta game, Ancelotti and the Napoli chairman are raging about it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50243858

In the incident in question, Napoli do have a good case for a penalty at the other end of the pitch but they didn't play to the whistle and allowed Atalanta far too much time to put the ball in the net

Watched this last night, I believe Napoli's main gripe was that the referee refused to check it out on the video and this is something which rarely happens in Italy as they almost always check it out for themselves and then make the call (unlike the shambles in England).

As such I can see exactly why they all went radio rental...............

On 24/10/2019 at 22:42, Dele said:

Jack Rodwell is signing for Roma in the morning. 

On 24/10/2019 at 23:30, senorsoupe said:

Sorry what?  Jack Rodwell?  Like the Jack Rodwell who couldn't get a game for injury stricken Sunderland in the English championship?  What an absolutely bizarre signing.

Maybe he has the same agent Julien Faubert had in 2009

Failed to win a deal at Roma. 

About to sign for Parma. 

tim and eric mind blown GIF