Italian Football Thread

Kris.

Related to Verona, I only found out tonight that Chievo no longer exist. They were liquidated last summer and no successor club was formed. I'm gutted by that. They were a fun team from my childhood and I always liked their custard yellow strip.

14 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Related to Verona, I only found out tonight that Chievo no longer exist. They were liquidated last summer and no successor club was formed. I'm gutted by that. They were a fun team from my childhood and I always liked their custard yellow strip.

wow?! had totally missed that!
just assumed they were kicking about Serie D
kinda heart-breaking: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/chievo-verona-sergio-pellissier-flying-donkeys-serie-a-1167203

hopefully they can pull something together in an upcoming season?

10 hours ago, dingdong1929 said:

wow?! had totally missed that!
just assumed they were kicking about Serie D
kinda heart-breaking: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/chievo-verona-sergio-pellissier-flying-donkeys-serie-a-1167203

hopefully they can pull something together in an upcoming season?

Thanks for that link, I gave the article a wee read now and it was stirring my memories. As a kid, I loved that 2001-2002 side it mentions.

In 2002, Fiorentina were liquidated and came back as "Florentia Viola" the next season in the 4th tier. They were granted the right to change their name to Fiorentina again at some point and have long since been back in Serie A as if it never happened. They were given big helping hands by the FIGC (Italian FA) though, such as bizarrely being allowed to skip Serie C straight into Serie B.

If Chievo can reform in future, they'll get no such favours. The Fiorentina successor club also began immediately whereas Chievo are going to have to be resurrected now after lying dormant for at least one season and likely more. I don't see it happening. It's especially frustrating when reckless overspending was not to blame for the financial undoing but rather bad luck due to the pandemic.

It's especially frustrating when reckless overspending was not to blame for the financial undoing but rather bad luck due to the pandemic.

I think the eulogy was, as eulogies tend to be, overly kind. They were in a precarious position before Covid hit, with attendances down 70%. Every other Serie B club made it through the pandemic.

On 11/05/2022 at 15:28, virginton said:

Weren't Chievo given a points deduction (that kicked them down to Serie B in the first place) for cooking the books? 

You're right. I think this article is saying they were only given a 3 point deduction when relegated from Serie A in the 2018-19 season, but then last summer the case was re-opened and they were given a 15 point deduction had they began this season (in Serie B). Cesena being liquidated is also mentioned here and their phoenix club is already back in Serie C. That probably shows again that Chievo failing to form a phoenix club is unusual and disappointing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.allfootballapp.com/amp/news/Serie-A/Official-Chievo-risk-15-point-deduction/792574

Edited by FreedomFarter

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, superwell87 said:

3-0 Milan, 35 mins gone. They mean business. Just about sounds like a home game. 

Not surprising considering Sassuolo are a plastic nothing club.

Well done to Milan, though. Glad when it's anyone that's not Juve at this point, although Napoli not being a massive bunch of bottlers would have been nice.

I'm disappointed one has to be relegated. I like Salernitana as the south has only them and Napoli in the league but I also like Cagliari being in the league so Sardinia has representation. Salernitana's run of results prior to tonight probably earns them the "moral" right to survive and Cagliari have been knocking on relegation's door for a couple of seasons now. If Cagliari do find a winner I'll be happy for them, though.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

I'm disappointed one has to be relegated. I like Salernitana as the south has only them and Napoli in the league but I also like Cagliari being in the league so Sardinia has representation. Salernitana's run of results prior to tonight probably earns them the "moral" right to survive and Cagliari have been knocking on relegation's door for a couple of seasons now. If Cagliari do find a winner I'll be happy for them, though.

Stayed up and with Lecce back up there will be 3 southern teams next season. 

On 23/05/2022 at 10:25, DiegoDiego said:
On 22/05/2022 at 22:52, bob_mcshug said:
Stayed up and with Lecce back up there will be 3 southern teams next season. 

Roma and Lazio are southern teams too.

Lazio isnt seen as being part of the Mezzogiorno