Italian Football Thread

Kris.

It's not all that surprising to be honest.  After a bit of a golden age for Sicilian and Calabrese clubs in the noughties, most of them have gone kaput and had to reform.  Messina, Palermo, Reggina, and now Catania, it's sorta the circle of life for a lot of Italian clubs

Chievo who were in the Serie A for about 20-odd year until they got relegated in 2019 are another that are no more. Well, technically, they're running a youth team, but they were a team I always kept an eye out for after Dundee played them in a mid-season friendly at Dens and their keeper was doing a HT warm-up practicing his goal kicks. His practice involved booting the ball into the top corner of the goal at the other end of the pitch where Jamie Langfield was fucking about.

Perugia who papped us out of the UEFA Cup as well only recently got their act together again recently having got back to Serie B after having a decent Serie A team back in the day.

53 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Chievo who were in the Serie A for about 20-odd year until they got relegated in 2019 are another that are no more. Well, technically, they're running a youth team, but they were a team I always kept an eye out for after Dundee played them in a mid-season friendly at Dens and their keeper was doing a HT warm-up practicing his goal kicks. His practice involved booting the ball into the top corner of the goal at the other end of the pitch where Jamie Langfield was fucking about.

Perugia who papped us out of the UEFA Cup as well only recently got their act together again recently having got back to Serie B after having a decent Serie A team back in the day.

Chievo are obviously a weird case as they weren't really a side with any history or anything until they usurped their neighbours Hellas and became the number one team in the Veneto. Not sure how it came about but Hellas have had some questionable owners and fans over the years so may have been mismanagement there? Unlike some of the other names who have flamed and burned out over the years, you have to wonder if they'll ever come back having fewer fans and less goodwill than some of the other clubs who have done the same recently. 

3 hours ago, David W said:

A full Serie A card today on BT Sport, with two games at 1130, 1330, 1530, 1730 (including AC v Roma) and 1945 (including Juve v Napoli). 

I'm in.

Few postponements due to Covid, but Sampdoria kick us off! 

At home with Covid, so this will get me through the day. Didn't realise it was a bank holiday over there.

5 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Few postponements due to Covid, but Sampdoria kick us off! 

At home with Covid, so this will get me through the day. Didn't realise it was a bank holiday over there.

So I see, their method of not actually postponing the games but just waiting until a team doesn't turn up makes looking at a fixture list slightly confusing.

The Italians are the masters of taking something that can be handled relatively straightforward and then making it a chaotic farce.  Take the Bologna-Inter game, Bologna were placed into quarantine by local health authorities yesterday, but Serie A decided to send Inter there anyways and have them go through the pre-game stuff when they had plenty of time to just call off or postpone the game

I didn't see the whole match, maybe 40 minutes or so, but thoroughly enjoyed it, that third goal of Empoli's was a thing of beauty, then Lazio had a goal disallowed, had a penalty saved (I thought it was a bit of a soft award), but equalised well into stoppage time.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

The Italians are the masters of taking something that can be handled relatively straightforward and then making it a chaotic farce.  Take the Bologna-Inter game, Bologna were placed into quarantine by local health authorities yesterday, but Serie A decided to send Inter there anyways and have them go through the pre-game stuff when they had plenty of time to just call off or postpone the game

"One Team in Bologna":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59898461

kDyTQxPGrrKGLa334QGiUj-480-80.jpg

_122605262_intermilan.jpg

34V3kHGzHZDSjUZPoNKWAU.jpg

236f5ceda6.jpg

On 05/01/2022 at 07:06, Ludo*1 said:

after Dundee played them in a mid-season friendly at Dens

When was this? I am sure they played Motherwell about 15-20 years ago at one point too.