Italian Football Thread

Kris.

On 03/07/2021 at 14:34, Silverton End said:

Forza A.C.R Messina!

Seria D Group I champions today, on the up again at last (I hold my breath) 😁

Well done to them though, on promotion, after years in the wilderness. Long way to go still 

My in-laws are from Reggio di Calabria so I am naturally inclined to hate Messina so no offence but I hope that they get relegated again lol

What's happening with Livorno? I saw they are bankrupt?

A real shame if that's the end of them. Lucarelli was a real cult hero for me in the mid-00s (a really basic Italian football opinion, I know). 

A real shame if that's the end of them. Lucarelli was a real cult hero for me in the mid-00s (a really basic Italian football opinion, I know). 
Aye, even managed to pick up a shirt with his name on the back when I was in Venice. Twice runners up in the Scudetto.

Hopefully if Livorno do go under, they'll be refounded fairly quickly.

20 hours ago, yoda said:

Combination of financial mismanagement and bad luck.

They were meant to be sold to a Dutch businessman last year but just before the sale went through, he was nicked for money laundering. They were frequently on the brink last season from what I read. Needless to say, I read somewhere that Spinelli is no longer welcome in Livorno.

Another team who looks humped is Chievo. There was talk of them having to start again in Terza Categoria a few days ago.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Surely they'd just chuck them in Serie D or at worst Eccellenza, no?

That's what I thought but apparently the Corriere dello Sport was saying different.

Even if it isn't true, they couldn't be placed in Serie D because they aren't the only team who play in Verona (Hellas and Virtus are also professional teams). I didn't know that (the not being able to be placed in Serie D).

On 20/07/2021 at 20:19, Allan Jacobsen said:

That's what I thought but apparently the Corriere dello Sport was saying different.

Even if it isn't true, they couldn't be placed in Serie D because they aren't the only team who play in Verona (Hellas and Virtus are also professional teams). I didn't know that (the not being able to be placed in Serie D).

why is that?

23 hours ago, highlandcowden said:

why is that?

I've no idea. That's just what the article said. The only reason I could think is because there are already existing teams in Verona at a level higher than Serie D. Off the top of my head, there were no other professional teams in Bari, Palermo, Siena, Parma or Venice for example so perhaps that is the case.

Also, Livorno may not be bankrupt any more. They've applied to register for Serie D but unfortunately they don't have a stadium.

• 2 weeks later...
is there any live coverage of this league this season?
Just announced for three years on to BT, with at least 5 games live a week.

And even better: "Italian football expert James Richardson will also host a new weekly Serie A show taking in all the key storylines from the weekend's action."

So if I'm right we've seen the following movements with TV rights?

Ligue 1 - Staying with BT Sport
Serie A - Premier Sports to BT Sport
Bundesliga - BT Sport to Sky Sports
La Liga - Staying with Premier Sports (apparently you can get access to La Liga TV through Amazon Prime for £6.99/month)