Italian Football Thread

Kris.

1 hour ago, Smurph said:

I didn't expect Wigan to outscore Atalanta today. I'm a little disappointed in their performance. Good win but not good enough.

93 goals in 33 games is absolutely crazy; they'll smash past the century you would imagine. They have 25 more than Lazio/Inter (who have played one game less).

Sassuolo vs Juve looks like it has been an epic. Juve were 2-0 up after 12 mins  and then Sassuolo ended up 3-2 in front. Currently 3-3 with 20 to play.
I noticed that's how it finished.

It's a shame Inter and Lazio both seem to have bottled it since the restart. Juventus have been less than impressive and look there for the taking.

results from the last three rounds of the Serie C playoffs:

Juventus II 2-0 Calcio Padova

Carpi 2-2 Alessandria

Renate -1-2 Novara

Potenza Calcio 1-0 Triestina

Monopoli 0-1 Ternana

======================

Carpi 1 - 2 Novara

Bari 1 - 1 Ternana

Carrarese  2 - 2 Juventus U23

Reggiana 0 - 0 Potenza Calcio

======================

Reggiana 2 - 1 Novara

Bari 2 - 1 Carrarese

======================

so - Reggiana v Bari on Wednesday evening (22/07) for the last promotion place to Serie B, at the MAPEI stadium which Reggiana share with Sassuolo, as their regular season points per game record was marginally better than  I Galletti (in a marginally stronger division). common sense dictates that it's going to be a tight one - both sides conceded less than a goal a game throughout the season - so I'll go for the home side by the odd goal in seven - 4-3 Reggiana after extra time, cards galore....

Edited by Herman Hessian

46 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Reggiana beat Bari 1-0 to go up this evening. It the first time in 21 years Reggiana have been as high as the second tier, although they have Sevco'd themselves a few times in the intervening years.

fairly good turn out around the MAPEI for a game behind closed doors !

and i momenti salienti della partita:

Edited by Herman Hessian

three rounds of matches left in Serie B this season - and it's all up for grabs

Benevento are up as champions by a country mile, with any one of Crotone, Spezia, Pordenone or Frosinone joining them in the second automatic promotion place

at the bottom, Livorno are dead and buried with any two from eight joining them in going straight down, with a further two clubs potentially being dragged in to the relegation play-offs

Pisa who currently occupy the last promotion play-off place could find themselves in these relegation play-offs, and pescara and juve stabia who are currently in these two potentially vulnerable spots could yet make the promotion play offs - only two of the twenty clubs currently know their fate with any degree of certainty - talk about things going down to the wire !

Fiorentina battered by Inter Milan tonight but a heroic performance from Terracciano in goal helped them to a 0-0 draw. They seem to be onto the makings of a good team and a lot of their squad are quite young and on an obligation/option to buy deal (*)(*/), with a chairman willing to invest in the team and, if he keeps his word, wants to hold on to Chiesa and doesn't want them to be a selling team. They have several players on loan too, including Lafont, Amrabat, and Pedro (*/). Their kind of main team is:

Dragowski, Terracciano

Milenkovic, Pezzella, Cacares, Lirola (*), Igor (*), Dalbert (*/)

Chiesa, Castrovilli, Ribery, Pulgar, Sottil, Duncan (*), Agudelo (*/) Badelj (*/)

Vlahovic, Cutrone (*), Kouame (*)

It does seem that Giuseppe Iachini will only be a short term appointment, it was rumoured that maybe Ivan Juric of Hellas Verona was in line for the job but he signed a new three year contract there. With Pioli staying on at AC Milan, it would be very audacious but a dream if they tried to hijack the Ralf Rangnick deal. I think they're only a few signings away from easily getting European football and keeping a hold of their better players, and that's not just because (well it kind of is but also it's not) of my recent success in Football Manager

13 hours ago, Smurph said:

It does seem that Giuseppe Iachini will only be a short term appointment, it was rumoured that maybe Ivan Juric of Hellas Verona was in line for the job but he signed a new three year contract there. With Pioli staying on at AC Milan, it would be very audacious but a dream if they tried to hijack the Ralf Rangnick deal. I think they're only a few signings away from easily getting European football and keeping a hold of their better players, and that's not just because (well it kind of is but also it's not) of my recent success in Football Manager

I was thinking about (not particularly realistic) options in case Juric jumped ship; Marcelino has not worked since being inexplicably dumped by Valencia at the arse-end of last year, and the magnificent Luciano Spalletti is still available after getting sacked by Inter - either of them would be a decent option - but I love the idea of Commisso/Spalletti double act - that'd be box office and a half !