Italian Football Thread

Kris.

Only stuck this on at half time as well. Michty me!

There is a slight anti climax without the crowd though, my first instinct in a situation like this is always to look to the stands.

Not watched the game but as an a side, find it strange why Juve stick with Szcesny (Sp) as their number 1. Either play Buffon until he wants to pack it in (Because he's still a top tier keeper despite his age) or commit to finding his successor.

Szcesny is a massive weak point for them. It's like when Celtic were going with Bain or Aberdeen with Langfield FFS. Absolute liability.

Two great results on the bounce for Milan - if they can keep this form up going in to the last few games they'll have a good chance of cementing 5th place. I can't see them catching Atalanta with the 14 point gap between the two, only a monumental collapse would see that happen surely. 

Two great results on the bounce for Milan - if they can keep this form up going in to the last few games they'll have a good chance of cementing 5th place. I can't see them catching Atalanta with the 14 point gap between the two, only a monumental collapse would see that happen surely. 
With a goal difference 40 (forty) better than Milan I think you might as well call it fifteen points.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
12 minutes ago, Andy_K_97 said:

With a goal difference 40 (forty) better than Milan I think you might as well call it fifteen points.

Aye, definitely. I find it so strange watching Milan competing to just get to Europe rather than challenging for scudetti and the coppa Italia on a regular basis, as well as seeing them in the CL. Shows you what a lack of leadership at boardroom level can do to a club. 

Aye, definitely. I find it so strange watching Milan competing to just get to Europe rather than challenging for scudetti and the coppa Italia on a regular basis, as well as seeing them in the CL. Shows you what a lack of leadership at boardroom level can do to a club. 
Berlusconi's got Monza in Serie B already, so there'll be some strong boardroom leadership in the top tier soon enough.

9 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
9 hours ago, Andy_K_97 said:

is serie A not head to head?though i dont recall how the games between the 2 have gone this season

23 minutes ago, highlandcowden said:

is serie A not head to head?though i dont recall how the games between the 2 have gone this season

Yeah it's head to head. They've still to meet at the San Siro but Atalanta won the first meeting 5-0.

4 hours ago, C. Muir said:

Yeah it's head to head. They've still to meet at the San Siro but Atalanta won the first meeting 5-0.

if both teams have a win against one another does GD in those games count?or does it just go to GD over the season?

1 hour ago, highlandcowden said:

if both teams have a win against one another does GD in those games count?or does it just go to GD over the season?

Yes. Milan would have to beat Atalanta 6-0 for them to finish above them if tied on points.

Juventus v Atalanta on Saturday night should be a cracker.

Serie C's protracted play-off odyssey gaining momentum now; here are the weekend's second round results (remember, just one game, home team goes through if there's a draw, as they are the higher seeds):

Pontedera - Novara (w/o for Novara)

Südtirol  0 - 1  Triestina

Alessandria  3 - 2  Robur Siena

Ternana  1 - 1  Catania

Calcio Padova  1 - 0  FeralpiSalò  

Potenza Calcio  1 - 1  Catanzaro

round three this evening (Wednesday) with the following ties:

Juventus II - Calcio Padova

Carpi - Alessandria

Renate - Novara

Potenza Calcio - Triestina

Monopoli - Ternana

that'll leave us with five winners to add to the last three qualifiers (Carrarese, Reggio Audace aka Reggiana and Bari) to make up the final eight teams

I'd love to see Triestina get promoted, and fill that magnificent stadium of theirs with some decent crowds, but it's going to be a long shot for them to get close; same can be said of Padova, but I guess most folk will be rooting for Bari (in the unlikely event that anyone gives a flying one, of course)...

leaving Serie C via the relegation trap door are (notionally at this stage) the following nine teams

girone a) Gozzano, Pianese and Giana Erminio

girone b) Rimini, Ravenna and Arzignano Valchiampo

girone c) F C Rieti, Rende and Bisceglie

but of course, relegation for these teams hinges on their being any appropriate replacements for them coming up from the madhouse which is Serie D, and adjustments following the usual spate of insolvencies, points deductions, hissy fits, resignations and entirely random decisions which characterise this time of year; I can only imagine the carnage this time arouind will be more widespread than usual with clubs going to the wall for obvious reasons...

I can't believe Juve's cheek. They are still challenging in court, for the Scudetto's taken away due to match fixing.

It's like they're saying 'yes, we got caught cheating, but we should be allowed to cheat'.

I think in Italian law, you can challenge a rule as many times as you like.

I hate Juventus as much as the next person, but I can't see the argument against those penalties given that in Serie A almost any handball in the box is being given as a spot-kick. 

Decent game, Atalanta very unlucky not to win. I can't see either threatening the CL final.