Italian Football Thread

Kris.

so - is this how FFP should work or is a transfer involving two players valued at €150m in total with both sides involved able to show a profit of €60m each on completion just making an absolute mockery of things and an example of nothing more than 'creative accounting' ?

I absolutely get that - as below - Barca have made a €60m profit on buying and selling Arthur over the term of his contract, but having done that they are then paying €70m for Pjanic so surely they are €10m down on the deal, no ? what the f**k does it matter to their financial standing what Juve have/have not made on Pjanic, and vice-versa - why is Juve's profit on the Bosnian used to mitigate Barca's profit/loss ????

ETA - have been drinking rough cider most of the evening and cannot currently undertake basic mental arithmetic - go easy on me....

What also makes sense is the financials of the deal. On paper, Barcelona are said to be paying €70 million for Pjanic, while younger man Arthur is costing Juve €80 million, which looks to work out as a swap deal plus €10 million cash from the Bianconeri. However, FFP rules mean that both clubs will be able to report €60 million profit on their books, due to player amortisation.

Barca paid €30 million for Arthur in 2018 on a six-year deal, meaning that his value decreases by €5 million per year in terms of FFP. Therefore, he is now worth €20m in terms of their accounting, meaning a sale for the equivalent of €80 million means the Catalan side can show a €60 million profit. 

Similarly, Pjanic arrived in Turin from Roma for €35 million in July 2016 on a five-year contract, meaning his FFP value reduces by €7m per year, leaving €21 million in value on the books after two years when he was handed a new five-year contract by the club. The remaining €21 million is then divided by five and therefore reduces by €4.2 million per year, and currently leaving €13 million in value on Juve’s accounts. A €70 million sale therefore leaves a tidy €57 million profit for the Old Lady.

anyway - all that counting stuff notwithstanding, Serie A has been blisteringly fierce entertainment since the restart - goals going in all over the place, something approaching a title race, sixteen goals (two wins, a draw and a defeat) in four Hellas games, and I Gialloblù in the thick of the race for the last EuropaLeague place - could be looking at an autumnal trip to Kazakhstan, or Barry Town if everything goes to plan...

Fiorentina v Sassuolo was a walkover for the away side, la Viola never got out the blocks and looked very poor all night. Had Fiorentina won by 3 goals they'd have overtaken Sassuolo on goal difference but instead they remain closer to the relegation zone than they'd like to be after a 3-1 defeat. Tomorrow night's game in Bergamo looks good with Atalanta playing Napoli.

That's brilliant business for Inter to get Hakimi for that much

As for the Serie C playoff clusterfuck, I'm just glad that the team I cheer for at that level (Reggina) have won their league.  When we were in Calabria last year Reggina were in the playoffs and my wife's Italian cousins tried explaining the system to me but a combination of wine and language difficulties left me more confused after the conversation than before!

Edited by senorsoupe

Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 25th Serie A goal of the season earlier. He becomes the first Juventus player to hit 25 goals in a Serie A campaign since Omar Sivori in the 1960/61 season! 

All time record for Juventus is 32. 

Needs 8 goals in 8 games to beat it 

He scored a free kick for Juve for the first time in 43 attempts. Who keeps letting him take them? Especially considering Pjanic would have been on the park for a good few of them.

Ronaldo is clearly an unreal player and is having a big impact at Juve just now, but that seems to be a good example of his ego coming before the good of the team.

11 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

He scored a free kick for Juve for the first time in 43 attempts. Who keeps letting him take them? Especially considering Pjanic would have been on the park for a good few of them.

Ronaldo is clearly an unreal player and is having a big impact at Juve just now, but that seems to be a good example of his ego coming before the good of the team.

Tbf I watched them the other day and Pjanic took the first, Dybala the second and then Ronaldo the third.