Italian Football Thread

Kris.

ok - here's how it looks:

if Genoa lose at Fiorentina, they are down, regardless of anything else

if Genoa draw at Fiorentina and Empoli draw or win at Inter, Genoa are down

if Genoa draw at Fiorentina and Empoli lost to Inter, Genoa win the head to head and Empoli go down

if Genoa win at Fiorentina and Empoli lose or draw, then Empoli go down

if Genoa win at Fiorentina and Empoli win at Inter, it get's very interesting - they will both stay up

Genoa would beat Fiorentina on head to head, and therefore finish above them and would be safe

If either Udinese or Bologna win or draw their last games, they finish above both Fiorentina and Genoa

If Udinese lost their last game at Cagliari, they finish below Fiorentina on head to head, so Fiorentina would be safe

If Bologna lost their last game at home to Napoli (assuming they also lose at Lazio tomorrow) they finish equal head to head with Fiorentina (two 0-0 draws) but below them on (overall) goal difference, so Fiorentina would be safe

so, if Genoa and Fiorentina, Bologna and Udinese all finish on 40 points, and Empoli win at Inter, it's down to Udinese v Bologna on head to head

each team won the home fixture 2-1 so it would go to (overall) goal difference - Bologna currently have a six goal advantage with two games to play...

fucking hell  :lol:

I don't think that's right. If Genoa, Fiorentina, Bologna and Udinese all finish level on forty points, and Empoli win Bologna go down having got the fewest points in the matches those four have played against each other. 

Genoa 9 points, Fiorentina and Udinese 7, Bologna 6.

If Bologna get any points from their remaining games and Fiorentina, Genoa and Udinese all finish on forty, Udinese go down having got 4 points from their respective encounters compared to 5 for Genoa and 6 for Fiorentina. Again assuming Empoli win. 

If Udinese avoid defeat and Bologna, Fiorentina and Genoa all finish level, Bologna would finish last out of those sides on head to head again. 

If Udinese and Bologna both get at least a point and Genoa beat Fiorentina, the Genovese would finish above the Florentines. 

Always had a soft spot for Bologna. Hopefully Lazio are on the beach after their cup final win, and the Rossoblu can guarantee survival before the panic of a last day decider.. 

It should all be irrelevant as Empoli should lose at Inter, but after some recent results (looking at you, SPAL vs Juventus), I'm taking nothing for granted. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

42 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't think that's right. If Genoa, Fiorentina, Bologna and Udinese all finish level on forty points, and Empoli win Bologna go down having got the fewest points in the matches those four have played against each other. 

Genoa 9 points, Fiorentina and Udinese 7, Bologna 6.

hmmmm - good call - i'm not sure how that works with so many teams involved and was assuming that a "head to head" win against any other side on the same points would lift a given team above that particular rival - makes sense to extend it to cover them all in a 'mini league'; i'll check back and see if there's a precedent...

ETA - you're spot on - 2010/11 - Chievo, Parma, Catania all finished on the same points, and that's how it was decided

if it's Udinese, Genoa and Fiorentina, though - the results i have give them all five points - they'll all have won one, drawn two and lost one match; final goal difference will obviously depend on the Fiorentina v Genoa match - as it stands, Udinese +1, Fiorentina +1, Genoa -2; Fiorentina's GD must go down in this scenario, as they will have lost against Genoa to have 40 points, so that actually means that Udinese would be safe and it's between the other two - so there's actually no scenario which can see Udinese relegated after all ???

:blink:

Edited by Herman Hessian

I'm disappointed Parma have managed to survive after wriggling their way out of an already lenient five point deduction.

If Genoa go down you'd imagine they'd win Serie B at a canter with all that Piątek money.

I hope Empoli stay up, they always have a go at the big teams. Fiorentina have lost five on the bounce, absolute #scenes if they went down.

Napoli vs Inter was a blast.  Final score was 4-1 to Napoli and the Ultras were bouncing for most of the game.  

If you have never been to a Napoli game the Stadio San Paolo is a lot like Naples itself, very energetic but mostly under construction and missing amenities that we normally take for granted like toilet seats on the toilets (the missus was not pleased by this discovery) and consistent food vendors (although there is plenty of food available in the square before the game)  That being said, the atmosphere was pretty electric and the views are pretty good for a stadium with a running track.  A couple of pieces of advice, make sure to bring some ID to the stadium, they don't tell you this when you buy the ticket but they were checking ID's at the gate, luckily they accepted our Canadian drivers licenses and we didn't have our passports with us.  Also printed section and seat numbers are pure fiction, as long as you are in the general part of the stadium (price point) then you sit wherever, it's treated as general admission even though you have  a seat number on your ticket.  

Overall a great time

In hindsight I could have caught two Serie A games on my Italian trip as I'm in Rome tonight and Lazio are at home to Bologna.  Kick off is just over an hour away and I don't think there is a way to get a ticket and get to the match from my hotel near the Termini station.  Oh, and I don't like Lazio

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

In hindsight I could have caught two Serie A games on my Italian trip as I'm in Rome tonight and Lazio are at home to Bologna.  Kick off is just over an hour away and I don't think there is a way to get a ticket and get to the match from my hotel near the Termini station.  Oh, and I don't like Lazio

could walk to the olimpico from termini in that time

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

You can get a tube to the last stop towards the stadium then it’s a short taxi trip mate.

11 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

You can get a tube to the last stop towards the stadium then it’s a short taxi trip mate.

It was more the problem of getting tickets at the late stage, buying them for Italian football is not straightforward.  Had I thought of it a few hours earlier I could have made it happen but no tickets and an hour to kick off I don't think I could have gotten them.

wow - cittadella lose 1-2 at home to benevento in the first leg of the serie B play off semi final, then go down to campania and win 3-0 to make the final; they'll play Hellas or Pescara for a place in the top flight now - second leg of the second semi on sunday night after a 0-0 draw in verona;