Italian Football Thread

Kris.

I watched Sudtirol the other week, they're not great. Genoa got knocked out by Entella tonight in a cracking game that went to sudden death penalties.

Coppa Italia is a shite tournament though due to its seedings and draw.
I've noticed clubs seem pretty apathetic to the cup akin to how some clubs in England treat the league cup. No idea if fans feel the same way though.

From what I gather it's a bit like the league cup here. 90% of Italian football fans don't see their side enter until the last sixteen and for most of them the priority is the league or European competition. Because of the way it works you don't think "if we can squeeze past Genoa maybe we'll get a winnable tie. You already know you're away from home against Roma.

14 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

After years of being on Sky when BT had Serie A, it appears BT now have the Coppa Italia rights despite losing the league rights to eleven sports. Torino v Südtirol (currently 9th in Serie C Girone B [North-East]) tonight on BT Sports 1. Watched a wee bit of Samp v SPAL last night on a Rai Uno feed, which was decent enough but eerie with no fans visible behind one goal or the stand opposite the cameras.

Anything that keeps Gary Birtles off the Italian football is a good thing IMO

1 hour ago, David W said:

Inter really should be winning this. I'm sure in classic Spalletti style they'll end up going to mush at some point.

Called it. Totally moronic substitution, concedes a goal.

11 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Anything that keeps Gary Birtles off the Italian football is a good thing IMO

Unfortunately he's appeared a few times this season on some of the league matches.

Decent match tonight, despite the result.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Lazio fans put up a banner near the stadium this weekend calling Milinkovic-Savic a gypsy. Really nice bunch those Lazio fans, in keeping with their splendid reputation.

I never understand why Italian fans seem so determined to force away star players. 

Donnarumma and Icardi spring to mind. I understand they've annoyed fans with their actions, but the fans go next level to try and force them out.

On 10/12/2018 at 18:46, RandomGuy. said:

I never understand why Italian fans seem so determined to force away star players. 

Donnarumma and Icardi spring to mind. I understand they've annoyed fans with their actions, but the fans go next level to try and force them out.

Yeah something I have always found odd, it's a fine line between being idolised or hated. 

SMS is having a rotten season, but he didn't really have a break in the Summer, coming off a long hard season where they were pipped at the post for the final Champions League spot, then straight into the World Cup. Hopefully the couple weeks in January will see him come good. 

As for the banner, just another in the long line. I follow the fella who does the designs for the Irriducibili clothing and banners on Instagram, every so often you will see a picture he has done, and you think "wow that is excellent" then you notice a swastika in the corner and just sigh. They will never change, and the folk saying "Lazio should do more" there isn't a lot that can be done that hasn't been tried unfortunately. 

Eleven sports going bye bye from the UK it seems after their UFC deal falls through
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/12/eleven-sports-may-be-facing-closure-in-uk-after-only-four-months?

It would be unsurprising if the UFC deal has failed. Spanish and Italian football on its own probably isn't enough to pull in significant numbers of subscribers. The combination of the two leagues not having enough standalone fans in the UK combined with the lack of actual TV channel leaving subscribers to have to watch online probably isn't a recipe for success. UFC, as much as it isn't my cup of tea, has enough hype and mainstream fan base that you could imagine that working, but I'm not sure La Liga and Serie A are really enough of a box office product to get many people subscribing.