Italian Football Thread

Kris.

Managed to get a ticket for last nights fixture, was a very strange atmosphere from start to finish. Felt like most Lazio fans knew that they were about to do a massive Lazio and f**k it up. 

Their was a strange atmosphere throughout, when Inter equalized for the first time, the Nord tried to sing Non Mollare Mai, and you could hear it in their voices that there was an air of uncertainty. 

Very hard to blame Inzaghi, as he has given us a terrific season, however the two biggest fixtures of the season, (this and Red Bull) have seen Lazio capitulate in the exact same fashion. He is still a young manager, and he will learn in time. His counter attacking football has been brilliant to watch, the second goal was incredible , starting with a clearance from Strakosha. His substitutions were very strange though, Immobile should not have started, Caicedo doesn't offer a great deal, but he could have done more than Ciro's performance last night. He also made a comment about it not being the right time for Lazio to qualify, when really they could have had it sewn up a long time ago. 

Be interesting to see what happens in the Summer, Lazio have a very thin squad, that extra Champions League money would have meant they could bulk it up with some decent players, opposed to the likes of Caicedo, Nani etc. I suspect Milinkovic-Savic will go for a lot of money, and Immobile's wife posted bit of a cryptic message on Instagram, so he could possibly be away. However, as always the problem with Lazio, it's how Lotito redistributes it into the squad. 

A thoroughly brilliant season though in Italy IMO, still see some call it a boring league, but much prefer it to the Premiership or La Liga. 

35 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

A thoroughly brilliant season though in Italy IMO, still see some call it a boring league, but much prefer it to the Premiership or La Liga. 

It's definitely been the most exciting of the top five leagues this season.

You've got Napoli getting 91 points and somehow still not winning the League. But the Scudetto race was enthralling for almost all of the season.

The CL race was similar, and what a game it was last night!

Then with the relegation battle OK it went as you'd have expected yesterday, but still went into the final day with five teams potentially going down.

picture finally becoming a bit clearer with regard to the Serie C play-offs after last night's games - now down to the last eight teams, who face home and away matches on May 30th and June 3rd:

Viterbese Castrense v SudTirol

Feralpi Salò v Catania

Reggiana v Robur Siena

Cosenza v Sambenedettese

some "big" names managed to get themselves knocked out in the last set of matches, with Pisa, Alessandria, and Piacenza all coming up short

in Serie D, the usual protracted array of seemingly random matches continues its interminable progress - suffice to say that Como are still in there plugging away (if anyone's really interested, I'll gladly post up a full breakdown of what's going on

On the Vicenza front, the Bassano Virtus merger may be fading in to the background, as a local BdG company Nardini (grappa distillers, as it happens) are mooted to be on the verge of buying the local club from scruffy twat Renzo Rosso, leaving him clear to pursue his interest in Vicenza - all unsubstantiated rumour at this point though (except for the scruffy twat bit - that's true...)

fbfbd512f6ae598237ba3e3cbca123cf-60396-9

Edited by Herman Hessian

2 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

picture finally becoming a bit clearer with regard to the Serie C play-offs after last night's games - now down to the last eight teams, who face home and away matches on May 30th and June 3rd:

Viterbese Castrense v SudTirol

Feralpi Salò v Catania

Reggiana v Robur Siena

Cosenza v Sambenedettese

some "big" names managed to get themselves knocked out in the last set of matches, with Pisa, Alessandria, and Piacenza all coming up short

in Serie D, the usual protracted array of seemingly random matches continues its interminable progress - suffice to say that Como are still in there plugging away (if anyone's really interested, I'll gladly post up a full breakdown of what's going on

On the Vicenza front, the Bassano Virtus merger may be fading in to the background, as a local BdG company Nardini (grappa distillers, as it happens) are mooted to be on the verge of buying the local club from scruffy twat Renzo Rosso, leaving him clear to pursue his interest in Vicenza - all unsubstantiated rumour at this point though (except for the scruffy twat bit - that's true...)

fbfbd512f6ae598237ba3e3cbca123cf-60396-9

Feel free to. I've an idea what's going on but it's always good to read because I've probably missed something important. All I'll say is that I feel very sorry for Troina.

In terms of the Serie C playoffs, who I want to win depends on the result of the Serie B relegation playoff between Ascoli and Virtus Entella. If Ascoli stay up then I hope that Samb go up - very tasty rivalry there. If Ascoli go down, I wouldn't mind seeing Cosenza come up.

Anyway, the fun starts when the season ends and clubs shite themselves when they realise that they're not as well off as they thought they were.

James Horncastle and AC Jimbo seem quite confident UEFA will ban AC Milan from the Europa League for next season due to Financial Fair Play issues. Reports that the Italian FA have sent letters to Fiorentina and a few others to get their papers in order so that they can take their place of need be. Good to.see UEFA take a stand for once.

• 2 weeks later...

doh - managed to leave it a bit late for the Serie D summary - it's now the day of the final championship match (Saturday 02.06) between Aurora Pro Patria and  U S Vibonese - 16:00 kick off

the game is being shown live on seried.lnd.it website, and on the league's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/LegaDilettanti/

real north v south encounter - Pro Patria are from Busto Arsizio, between Milan and Lake Maggiore, and Vibonese from Vibo Valentia right down in the SW corner of Calabria

pro-patria-vibonese.jpg

1075821_210545999100196_1915421785_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=04072a3b81e01b3858809a94ada0b09c&oe=5BB2B286

31949770_1760445944049958_6395276397610270720_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=588ed97b397874042a653c4f49610086&oe=5B879203

Edited by Herman Hessian

On 5/24/2018 at 11:38, Herman Hessian said:

Gyppo Rosso confirmed as the new owner of Vicenza, and immediately proposes to to merge with Bassano Virtus (who he's gifted to his son to get round the "not able to own two clubs" ruling)

supporter groups in Bassano del Grappa mobilised to take legal action to prevent any merger, Santarcangelo poised to take legal action having - as it stands - been relegated by a club who are likely to shortly cease to exist (having lost the relegation play-out to Vicenza); whole thing seems to be a bit of a shambles, but hey, this is Calcio, so what else do you expect - gotta love it...

meanwhile, Hellas, who unsurprisingly did not renew Fabio Pecchia's managerial contract at the end of the season are keeping a close eye on the Serie B promotion play-offs, with a view to poaching Pippo Inzaghi as their new boss if l'Arancioneroverdi don't make it to Serie A via the playoffs; first round (one-off game) against Perugia for them tomorrow (03.06), then a two-legged semi against Palermo; much-loved at the Bentegodi after a prolific spell on loan there in the mid-90's when he was known as SuperPippo, he'd be far and away the most popular choice with the fans (unless Luca Toni decides to take up management very quickly...) but I can't help feeling that if he doesn't stay with Venezia that his next club is going to (deservedly) be of a higher calibre than Setti's Gialloblù omnishambles....

How would that work? Would it actually be a merger to create some sort of Vicenza/province of Vicenza superteam or is it a case of Vicenza taking over Bassano Virtus?

In terms of Inzaghi, I would imagine that Venezia has one of the largest budgets in Serie B. It was clear from the start of the season that the aim was promotion. If he doesn't get them promoted, he'll be punted. Mind you, given their recent history, they'll get promoted to Serie A then relegated next season then end up in Serie D again because they couldn't afford to pay for a Serie B licence.

*edit* in terms of Serie D and my preference for Southern Italian teams: Forza Vibo.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen