Italian Football Thread

Kris.

That's because the Sudtirol game was played in Bolzano. The two forfeited games were home games. The council wouldn't let them play the games until they'd cleared their debts. They literally refused to let them unlock the gates.
In terms of how shambolic it is, it's not unlike Parma a few seasons ago. Only difference is that it's still early enough in the season to punt them out the league instead of the FIGC/other clubs loaning them money to get them through to the end of the season.

I’ve had a few things pop up on my twitter feed about this. What’s the issue with Modena? Possible corruption in-house akin to Juve a few years ago? Or is it just dreadful management by those in charge at the club? What happened with Parma again? I remember them being a top club back in my teens, then they just seemed to vanish. Apologies for all the questions but stuff keeps popping up on my Twitter. Lost track of Italian football a few years ago so playing catch up!

32 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I’ve had a few things pop up on my twitter feed about this. What’s the issue with Modena? Possible corruption in-house akin to Juve a few years ago? Or is it just dreadful management by those in charge at the club? What happened with Parma again? I remember them being a top club back in my teens, then they just seemed to vanish. Apologies for all the questions but stuff keeps popping up on my Twitter. Lost track of Italian football a few years ago so playing catch up!

Modena was financial. From what I remember, a few years ago, they chucked all their money into getting promoted from Serie B. They ended up in the playoffs but didn't get promoted. The following season, they avoided relegation by winning a playoff against Virtus Entella, who themselves ended up not being relegated because Padova and Siena went bust. The following season, they were royally fucked financially and unsurprisingly got relegated. Somehow they got into Lega Pro where they narrowly avoided playing in the relegation playoffs. This season, they were initially banned from playing Lega Pro because of unpaid taxes - but they were allowed in on appeal. Might have been best for them if they hadn't been.

Parma - @Kris. would be able to fill you in more about that. Can't remember if it was corruption or whether the chairman saw them as a little play toy. I believe it all started to go wrong the previous season when they weren't allowed to play in Europe.

If you want to read about a clusterfuck club, or rather a clusterfuck chairman, look no further than Palermo's Maurizio Zamparini. An utter cocksocket at a club that I quite like.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

Modena was financial. From what I remember, a few years ago, they chucked all their money into getting promoted from Serie B. They ended up in the playoffs but didn't get promoted. The following season, they avoided relegation by winning a playoff against Virtus Entella, who themselves ended up not being relegated because Padova and Siena went bust. The following season, they were royally fucked financially and unsurprisingly got relegated. Somehow they got into Lega Pro where they narrowly avoided playing in the relegation playoffs. This season, they were initially banned from playing Lega Pro because of unpaid taxes - but they were allowed in on appeal. Might have been best for them if they hadn't been.
Parma - [mention=15093]Kris.[/mention] would be able to fill you in more about that. Can't remember if it was corruption or whether the chairman saw them as a little play toy. I believe it all started to go wrong the previous season when they weren't allowed to play in Europe.
If you want to read about a clusterfuck club, or rather a clusterfuck chairman, look no further than Palermo's Maurizio Zamparini. An utter cocksocket at a club that I quite like.

Cheers, think you may be onto something re Parma. The chairman thing kind-of rings a bell. Will look up Mr Zamparini just now. Intrigued.

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

Just read about him. 40 managers in 15 years?! Surprised anyone would take the managers job under his regime. Bit of a shifty crooked type as well it sounds like.

I almost admire his brass neck to be honest...then I remember the state he left Venezia in when he decided he couldn't be arsed with them anymore.

I almost admire his brass neck to be honest...then I remember the state he left Venezia in when he decided he couldn't be arsed with them anymore.

Its sad but just how football is these days. Theres numerous ‘Venezias’ & ‘Zamparini’s’ every season, everywhere, at all levels now.

At the same time though, and leaving Italy for a second, I’d kind-of really like to see what’d happen if QSI decided to pull the plug at PSG.

Parma were sponsored/bankrolled/owned by Parmalat, the huge diary firm which went bankrupt after a huge fraud (forged bank statements and a bond issue that had no way of ever working IIRC) and debts over 10 BILLION Euro. It was one of the biggest financial scandals of the time and Parma went buat because of it. That was only the start of their problems though - they rebuilt but then suffered a second administration in about 2012 (?) and have found it tougher to come back this time round.

RE Parma: The latest bankruptcy was due to a combination of mismanagement and chancers.

Tommaso Ghirardi ran the club, signed about a million players and was losing huge amounts of money every year. Seems they were using the players as assets, declaring them to be worth far more money than they actually were.

Former Killie man Manuel Pascali was one of them, signed for Parma from Lega Pro but never actually got to even train with them (http://www.football-italia.net/63444/pascali-never-even-trained-parma)

Eventually they were denied entry into Europe because of their accounts, and some guy called Rezart Taci took over. He then sold the club some three months later, with the players remaining unpaid, and a shyster called Giampietro Manenti took over.

He kept claiming that he was going to pay the players, but never did and he was eventually brought up on money laundering and fraud charges.

7 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Ultras currently preparing a statement which is going to be released tomorrow I believe. 

Due to them being on the Sud on Sunday there wasn't actually many of the Irriducibili there just your general fan.

Roma and Lazio trade the Jewish 'insult' back and forth, due to their Roman heritage they see it as the biggest form of abuse. Most of the response I have seen from Lazio fans seems to be "Roma did it first".

Lolitto the club president has come out and send he will send fans to Auschwitz to educate them. 

Interesting to see what happens to the club though. Got to be very careful or a ban from Europe is a distinct possibility. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Did I read correctly that they are going to read out a passage from Anne Frank's diary before each game in the next round of fixtures? Apparently Sinisa Mihilovic said "I don't know who Anne Frank is" emoji15.png

Yep, going to be a minute silence before each game I believe and a passage will be read out. 

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Did I read correctly that they are going to read out a passage from Anne Frank's diary before each game in the next round of fixtures? Apparently Sinisa Mihilovic said "I don't know who Anne Frank is" emoji15.png

i don't think that gap in his grasp on european history is necessarily emoji15.png material though,  is it - with family in Croatia during the early 90's I imagine he has direct experience of far more harrowing examples of ethnic cleansing that what is an essentially romanticised fable about someone who's ordeal was history long before he was born - I'm a couple of years older than him, and my only knowledge of AF (prior to the last decade or so) was courtesy of some vaguely-remembered feature on Blue Peter, years ago - and that's having been educated in a country where you cannot move for rose-tinted WW2 recollections and reminiscences, rather than somewhere where they're still digging up mass graves and hunting down war criminals and death squad operatives who were active barely 25 years ago...

On 10/22/2017 at 18:50, Allan Jacobsen said:

I know it's incredibly wanky to quote your own posts but...

Modena have new owners. Unfortunately, the new owners don't want to pay them wages due from July, August and September - so the players have gone on strike and did not fulfil their fixture against Fano. Both Lega Pro and FIGC seem to be OK with this for some reason.

Their next home game is against Padova next weekend. Let's see if they turn up.

Well, it's all gone terribly wrong.

The new chairman wanted to pay the players' wages for July and August today. However, his request was not accepted because Modena still owe 170,000 Euros to the council. Because of this outstanding debt, Modena have been chucked out of their stadium and they don't, at this point, have anywhere else to play their home games. They could be excluded from Lega Pro as early as tomorrow. Failing that, they would be excluded on November 8th when they play Bassano Virtus if they don't turn up as it would be the fourth home forfeit of the season.

Either way, it's looking strongly likely that Modena will not be playing in the professional leagues next season.

Plenty of goals in the midweek games in Serie A: Inter 3-2 Sampdoria, Atalanta 3-0 Verona, Roma 1-0 Crotone, Cagliari 2-1 Benevento, Genoa 2-3 Napoli, Juventus 4-1 SPAL, Fiorentina 3-0 Torino, Bologna 1-2 Lazio, Chievo 1-4 Milan & Sassuolo 0-1 Udinese. Benevento thought they'd gotten their first ever Serie A point with a 94th minute penalty...only for Cagliari to go right up the park from the kick-off and get a winner.

In Serie B, Parma are up to 6th after their second successive win, last nights being a 3-0 victory at Foggia. Still incredibly tight in the league though, just 10 points separating top to bottom, looks set to be a cracking season.

Plenty of goals in the midweek games in Serie A: Inter 3-2 Sampdoria, Atalanta 3-0 Verona, Roma 1-0 Crotone, Cagliari 2-1 Benevento, Genoa 2-3 Napoli, Juventus 4-1 SPAL, Fiorentina 3-0 Torino, Bologna 1-2 Lazio, Chievo 1-4 Milan & Sassuolo 0-1 Udinese. Benevento thought they'd gotten their first ever Serie A point with a 94th minute penalty...only for Cagliari to go right up the park from the kick-off and get a winner.
In Serie B, Parma are up to 6th after their second successive win, last nights being a 3-0 victory at Foggia. Still incredibly tight in the league though, just 10 points separating top to bottom, looks set to be a cracking season.

No draws in Serie A, and in every game the team higher in the table won. Statistically somewhat interesting.