Fish and Chips after the fitba

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Most of you will be lucky enough never to have to be in Shetland. However, most of you will be unlucky enough never to experience Frankies chippy. Best in Britain, won a pile of awards and their haddock supper is out of this world. Not like anything iv ever had anywhere else.

However, (blue touch paper...) any chippy who is unwilling to apply shitloads of vinegared down brown sauce for free (ram your fucking HP) can f**k off.

Wasn't that impressed with Frankies. It was good but not 'best in the UK' good. Fort Cafe in Lerwick is better IMO.

Got a cracking chippy out of The Starfish (chortle) in Stranraer after out 4-1 pumping at the end of the season. 

21 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The Gorgie Fish Bar and The Tail End are probably the best in Edinburgh.

If anyone's been or going to the Shetlands, then you have to try Frankies Chip Shop.

Go on the website and open the Café menu.

This has blown the Lorne, square, flat, sliced debate wide open.

Spoiler

Fucking Saucermeat

http://www.frankiesfishandchips.com/menus

43 minutes ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

The Gorgie Fish Bar and The Tail End are probably the best in Edinburgh.

If anyone's been or going to the Shetlands, then you have to try Frankies Chip Shop.

Is that the one at Brae? If it is, agreed. Magnificent.

Just now, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Yeah, the Missus has family in Olaberry so we stopped there on the way. Their saucermeat is first class too.

I was telling my girlfriend about that place the other day. Never tried the saucermeat though,

Used to go to Brae on a Friday night for a drink when working up there......all merry hell used to break out there!

The Chip Chick Inn on Clarence Drive was fucking immense back in the day. It's called Paolo's now, I think named after the idiot son of the family who took it over. He used to stand around looking gormless while his dad, mum and big sisters ran the show. A temple of food, that place was. Which reminds me, there is/was another great chippy in Temple (Fulton St).

[googles it]

It's now called the Chip Chick inn. Damn, shit just got weird.

This will seem a bit daft but I hate any chip shop where the chips are too hot.

On a previous thread about Glasgow chipshops I slated the Kings Cafe which was going badly downhill for the last couple of years (whereas prices kept going up).  Its been taken over recently though and I had haggis fritters, chips (huge chunky chips) and peppercorn sauce last week and it was brilliant.

In Kilmarnock the Plaice to Be is good but won't be en-route to Rugby Park for anyone other than Ayr fans.

On 07/07/2016 at 5:18 PM, sergie's no1 fan said:

Cosimos on Love Street was a must on a matchday. It still is but it's not the same since the stadium was flattened and we have relocated a mile down the road, I'd say its the best chippy in Paisley, some would disagree. Cosimo fritters are amazing.

Had a fish supper from there maybe 3 years back which was decent.

Mario's in Caley Street is pretty good aswell. Excellent pizzas too.

1 hour ago, Derek Patterson said:

Had a fish supper from there maybe 3 years back which was decent.

Mario's in Caley Street is pretty good aswell. Excellent pizzas too.

Not near a football ground in paisley admittedly which the thread is all about ️however just as a sidetrack Allan's snack bar in storey street in paisley beats everything else ive ever tried in Paisley hands down. A simply great chippy. 

Last football chippy I had was from the shop in Cowdenbeath between Jimmy's Bar and the railway bridge. Red pudding supper.  Very decent.8)

13 hours ago, Duszek said:

The Chip Chick Inn on Clarence Drive was fucking immense back in the day. It's called Paolo's now, I think named after the idiot son of the family who took it over. He used to stand around looking gormless while his dad, mum and big sisters ran the show. A temple of food, that place was. Which reminds me, there is/was another great chippy in Temple (Fulton St).

[googles it]

It's now called the Chip Chick inn. Damn, shit just got weird.

The Clarence Drive one was my chippy of choice when I lived in the west end - up til maybe six or seven years ago it was incredible, but the last couple of times I've been back nothing to write home about.

Regarding chippies in proximity to football grounds, a special mention to Jaconelli's on Maryhill Road about a hundred yards from Lochburn Park - their homemade steak pie & chips is amazing.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

The Clarence Drive one was my chippy of choice when I lived in the west end - up til maybe six or seven years ago it was incredible, but the last couple of times I've been back nothing to write home about.

Well, I think we know who to blame for that.

Paolo.

RenFest2009--543.jpg

Archived