Fish and Chips after the fitba

Cosimos on Love Street was a must on a matchday. It still is but it's not the same since the stadium was flattened and we have relocated a mile down the road, I'd say its the best chippy in Paisley, some would disagree. Cosimo fritters are amazing.

Can't say there is many I've noticed on away days, there is one we frequent on trips up the North East when the bus stops for an hour or so which is decent, is it in Auchterarder maybe? 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cosimos on Love Street was a must on a matchday. It still is but it's not the same since the stadium was flattened and we have relocated a mile down the road, I'd say its the best chippy in Paisley, some would disagree. Cosimo fritters are amazing.

Can't say there is many I've noticed on away days, there is one we frequent on trips up the North East when the bus stops for an hour or so which is decent, is it in Auchterarder maybe? 

Agreed that was a top class chippy. Used to always get a Hamburger supper with copious amounts of watered down tomato sauce on my way to the game. To my shame I haven't been in since we moved from Love Street 7 years ago, never really down that end of the town now sadly.

In terms of away day chippies the one that stands out in my mind was in Brechin before a midweek game.

Don't remember what it was called or anything, must have been about ten years ago since we last played up there. Don't even remember the score of the game or anything, my abiding memory of the night was that our bus stopped right outside a chippy near the ground before the game and it was absolutely glorious.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Ashvale in Brechin is my favourite.

Plenty of good chippys in Arbroath. Take your pick.

4 minutes ago, Lex said:

Agreed that was a top class chippy. Used to always get a Hamburger supper with copious amounts of watered down tomato sauce on my way to the game. To my shame I haven't been in since we moved from Love Street 7 years ago, never really down that end of the town now sadly.

In terms of away day chippies the one that stands out in my mind was in Brechin before a midweek game.

Don't remember what it was called or anything, must have been about ten years ago since we last played up there. Don't even remember the score of the game or anything, my abiding memory of the night was that our bus stopped right outside a chippy near the ground before the game and it was absolutely glorious.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

You're probably not alone there but it must be one of the few shops in that area that hasn't been too badly affected by the move though. The Wee Barrel and the corner shop will be missing the trade more, in fact is the Wee Barrel not closing down soon?

I can't help you with the chippy sadly, but I might be able to help you with the game. Possibly 3-0 before we clinched the title, John Sutton hat trick? I remember that game well because I had the day off work to get my toe nail removed :shutup, looking back it was a pretty stupid idea to hop on a supporters bus to travel up to Brechin on a freezing cold midweek game but we won.

Can't beat the Golden Chip in Dunfermline. Only black mark for life in Edinburgh over life in the Kingdom is the lack of chippies that even come close. 

The Brig is far superior tbf.

2 hours ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Does anybody pick a chippy on the banter quality? I walk in, order a fish supper, pay for it then leave with the goods in my hand.

Am I doing it wrong?

Sir John Gielgud runs a chippy just off the Arbroath Road; John's Chippy (he's not pretentious).

Whilst your order's getting prepared he will entertain you with prose and couplets, rhymes and riddles.

A merrier hour was never wasted there.

PS the fritters are (Giel)gud.

Sod all to do with after footy chippies but we get a chippie van that comes round. Once got a smoked sausage supper that looked like a dehydrated boabie. Still for £3.50 what would you expect

There used to be a chippy in Albion Road by the Hibs ground that Kenny Dalglish liked that much that he agreed to play in somebody or others Testimonial game at Easter Road in return for a fish supper from there.

Peppos in Arbroath is very decent. I used to go to the Ashvale in Brechin when I worked across the road, it was alright but not as good as folk like to make out.

Montrose is seriously lacking a good chippy, The Mermaid and the one on Ferry Street are pish, and The Grove is only marginally better.

Robert's Fish and Chips beside Shielfield in Berwick is unreal, huge portions too. Had one after we got beat 3-0 by Berwick on a Tuesday night in March this year and it made my night much better. Marini's outside Hampden is also very nice, and the boy behind the counter loves dishing out free cans of irn-bru.

Archived