Xmas eve or Boxing day?

Full card across all 3 divisions in 1977:
http://www.statto.com/football/stats/results/1977-12-24

So it's been an increasingly uncommon practice.

Last occasion when clubs played on Christmas Eve and it wasn't a Saturday was Hibs v Ayr in 1976 (Friday).

Last occasion when a Scottish Cup tie was played on Christmas Eve was East Stirlingshire 0-0 Clydebank in 1973 (Monday incidentally).

It was a First Round tie which had been postponed a couple of times, so they had to try again 24hrs later on Christmas Day when Clydebank won 1-0.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the issue - if you can call it that - stems from the fact that about the start of the decade the SPL held "brainstorming" sessions with managers, all of whom expressed opposition to playing games without 2/3 days rest in between. I remember a big article on SPL website about it all... another thing that came off the back of it was that the 3 series of 11 matches didn't have to be in the same order (although they did have to include 1 game against each club in each round).

Following that they stopped playing Saturday-Monday or similar when Boxing Day and New Year's Day have fallen on Mondays. For several years they have played evening games on the Wednesday between Christmas and New Year. They also seem to prefer sticking to Saturdays rather than playing on the public holidays. This year that means playing Christmas Eve and Hogmanary, not Boxing Day and New Year's Day / January 2nd.

I think it's very likely that crowds will be lower on Christmas Eve v Boxing Day and Hogmanay v New Year's Day, and some games have already shifted.

Go back a decade there would have been games Christmas Eve (Saturday), Boxing Day (Monday), New Year's Day (Sunday) and perhaps even January 3rd (holiday Tuesday).

That was the last such match at Football League or Scottish League level, yes, along with Alloa v Cowdenbeath the same day... That was the same year as the Hibs-Ayr case I noted above (which was the last game played on Christmas Eve when it wasn't a Saturday).

I suspect you might find non-league games persisted a bit beyond that... Indeed, even today the County Antrim Intermediate Cup Final - known as the "Steel & Sons Cup" - is played on Christmas morning, except when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday.

One longstanding tradition in Scottish football was that Third Lanark always hosted Dundee on Christmas Day. I have no idea why.

I'll look up the last occasions of Christmas Day games not on Saturdays here.

On 7/8/2016 at 12:33, Mark Connolly said:

Not sure about Falkirk, but pretty sure we played ST Mirren on Xmas Eve a couple of years ago.

St Mirren played Dundee United on Boxing Day 2013, that's maybe what you're thinking of there.

For purely selfish reasons, I really hope our game at Tannadice on Christmas Eve is moved to the Friday night as opposed to Boxing day. I could the finish up work, attend the game then head back to Renfrewshire for Christmas, rather than do another return journey to Dundee on Boxing Day.

On the flip side, I like waking up on Boxing Day consoled by the fact there's normally a game to go to. I have to agree with VikingTon, it's a shame the lower leagues can only squeeze two games in during the festive period. South of the border there's games being played every 2 or three days, of which I am rather envious.

Last Christmas Day game in Scotland not on a Saturday was as I mentioned 1973 when Clydebank and East Stirlingshire drew a much-postponed Scottish Cup tie on Christmas Eve and had to try again the next day. Similar thing in 1969 (St Cuthbert Wanderers v Stranraer).

Last such leagues games were Celtic-QotS & Dundee-Kilmarnock in 1957 (Wednesday).

Special mention should be made of the Football League fixtures in 1940-41. Due to war emergency conditions a number of clubs played 2 games on Christmas Day i.e. back-to-back:

10:45am - Northampton 5-2 Leicester
3pm - Leicester 7-2 Northampton :huh:

11am - Watford 2-2 Luton
3pm - Luton 4-1 Watford

11am - Rotherham 0-3 Barnsley
3pm - Barnsley 3-3 Rotherham :o

11:15am - Bradford 0-5 Huddersfield
3pm - Huddersfield 3-4 Bradford :lol: 

10:45am - Tranmere v Crewe, postponed
3:15pm - Crewe 2-2 Tranmere

10:45am - Doncaster 0-0 Lincoln
3pm - Lincoln 3-1 Doncaster

11am - Oldham v Rochdale, postponed
3pm - Rochdale 2-3 Oldham

3 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

St Mirren played Dundee United on Boxing Day 2013, that's maybe what you're thinking of there.

For purely selfish reasons, I really hope our game at Tannadice on Christmas Eve is moved to the Friday night as opposed to Boxing day. I could the finish up work, attend the game then head back to Renfrewshire for Christmas, rather than do another return journey to Dundee on Boxing Day.

On the flip side, I like waking up on Boxing Day consoled by the fact there's normally a game to go to. I have to agree with VikingTon, it's a shame the lower leagues can only squeeze two games in during the festive period. South of the border there's games being played every 2 or three days, of which I am rather envious.

Yeah I corrected myself later - we played Hibs on Xmas Eve then played you in the next fixture.

Not sure about Falkirk, but pretty sure we played ST Mirren on Xmas Eve a couple of years ago.

We played Hibs at Tannadice. Won 3-1, was moved forward to a 1pm kickoff. Was a decent crowd IIRC. I'm fine with either if Christmas Eve is a Saturday.

• 1 month later...
On 13/07/2016 at 19:31, Desert Nomad said:

We played Hibs at Tannadice. Won 3-1, was moved forward to a 1pm kickoff. Was a decent crowd IIRC. I'm fine with either if Christmas Eve is a Saturday.

I remember it, it was only £15 PATG iirc.

It was 1-30pm kick-off and there was 8,100 there

The Thumb, Russell and Daly were the scorers I think

I'd much rather have the games on the Boxing Day as there is next to no chance of me making a game away at hibs on Xmas eve however by Boxing Day I'll be bored off the family again and itching to get out the house, would also like a Boxing Day sesh in Edinburgh before and after the game. 

Boxing Day and Ne'erday games are usually great. Not so much the football on show, but most of the crowd are either minging drunk or hungover to f**k, but still able to get out of the house.

Since Cockwomble is so keen on copying everything down south, why not follow their model of hunners of games over festive and bank holiday periods?

35 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Boxing Day and Ne'erday games are usually great. Not so much the football on show, but most of the crowd are either minging drunk or hungover to f**k, but still able to get out of the house.

Since Cockwomble is so keen on copying everything down south, why not follow their model of hunners of games over festive and bank holiday periods?

To be fair the Premier league up here are playing Xmas eve, 28th and Hogmanay. 

The English Premier league are playing Boxing day, Hogmanay and Jan 2.

The rest of the SPFL are just Xmas eve/boxing day and Hogmanay.

Archived