Xmas eve or Boxing day?

As we are all scheduled to play the day before Xmas as it's a Saturday, would you prefer the game to be moved to the Monday of  boxing day?

I assume many will move anyway but the Premier league look stuck playing Saturday as they have a fixture on the Wednesday too.

I don't remember ever watching football on Xmas eve so was wondering if that actually suits anyone?

My own opinion is playing Xmas eve is suicide for crowds in comparison. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I don't remember ever watching football on Xmas eve so was wondering if that actually suits anyone?

It probably suits players who like a piss up a Christmas.  I'm not really fussed either way, I like having the games on boxing day but it's not essential.

I'm sure the Pars have ready spoken to Falkirk about moving it to Boxing Day (and to Raith about moving the Hogmanay game to either the 1st or 2nd of January). It has to be Boxing Day for me. Christmas Eve is for last minute present buying and wrapping, and then driving down to the in-laws to stay the night. 

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm sure the Pars have ready spoken to Falkirk about moving it to Boxing Day (and to Raith about moving the Hogmanay game to either the 1st or 2nd of January).

Pars fans mentioned that right after the fixtures came out. I've not heard any more on it which is giving me a problem organising my Boxing day.

We've came out and said we are moving our Hogmanay game v Hibs to Jan 2nd.

Makes no difference to me really, but it would to our players. I'm quite happy for the games to take place on xmas eve and hogmany to allow them to get a relaxing day with their families without worrying about a game the next day. Not a huge deal, but I suppose a lot of them work other jobs and dont quite enjoy the luxuries full time footballers do in terms of time off.

Most folk have their shopping done before xmas eve and quite a lot of people gather with family for a boxing day meal so I'm not sure crowds would be hugely affected. I'd imagine new year would be similar, more folk are probably free on hogmany compared to new years day. Jan the 2nd would be a decent option if there is enough time between fixtures etc.

Personally I enjoy a Boxing Day game so I'd like if we played then instead of Christmas Eve. Not overly fussed about the New Year game with Raith. Hogmany sounds good! At least you'd have a couple days post NYE to recover before back to work.

Happy enough with Christmas Eve, as opposed to Boxing Day.  I do like there to be games around Christmas and New Year though.

I was thoroughly pissed off when our Boxing Day fixture got played in October last season, meaning that we went over six weeks without a home game.  In fact, I still am.

Boxing Day for me. Most folk would be out on the Saturday anyway, just gives you something to do on the Monday plus it's good to head out with your pals when everyone is in a good mood. Better atmosphere on boxing day.

I'm sure the players would rather play Christmas eve and have boxing day off. It means they can enjoy a normal Christmas day without having to think about playing football the next day.

As a fan? I like the boxing day fixture. I can't see clubs wanting to have the game kicking off at 3pm on Christmas Eve so being realistic it'll probably be an early kick off for everybody. 12:30 or 1:00. Do fans really want to go to a game at 12:30 on Christmas Eve? We're away to Ayr United - are fans going to want to be on a bus leaving Dumbarton at 10:30 on Christmas Eve for a trip down to Ayr? Even worse for fans travelling from Dumfries to Greenock or Paisley to Dundee.

Hogmanay is probably less of a problem, although I'd expect crowds to be lower than they'd otherwise be for a Jan 2nd game. for much the same reason.

Archived