England vs Iceland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See when you start agreeing with half rice half chips , seek help lichtie , in all seriousness seek help

I've outlined my reasons why I don't support England, or certainly the England team and fanbase in their current incarnation. Can you explain why you support them? They're beside us on a map? We share the same queen? Really, why?

We knocked him back before we signed Strachan.

And Levein.

Edit - Joe Hart has been absolute horsecunt for about 3 years.

I've outlined my reasons why I don't support England, or certainly the England team and fanbase in their current incarnation. Can you explain why you support them? They're beside us on a map? We share the same queen? Really, why?

Where did I say I supported them ?

Infact if you take yer Heid out your bitter ring piece for a few minutes you will see I joined in on mocking the England result last night , witnessing the likes of ian wright , mclaren and various pundits have some headsgone meltdowns was hilarious

What really stood out was how comfortable this Iceland team were in possession. Three or four short passes and they played their way out of defensive areas at a fairly pedestrian pace.  Obviously they've done this throughout the tournament but it really stood out last night.

This. There was a glorious moment in the second half last night when good old Clive said 'Iceland really struggling to hold onto the ball now' just as Iceland casually knocked the ball around between their midfield and back 4. Yes they punt it at times and take advantage of their strength, but they're a far better team than they get credit for. 

This. There was a glorious moment in the second half last night when good old Clive said 'Iceland really struggling to hold onto the ball now' just as Iceland casually knocked the ball around between their midfield and back 4. Yes they punt it at times and take advantage of their strength, but they're a far better team than they get credit for.

Yep I pointed that out at the time, he said "anywhere will do now for Iceland" as they casually knocked the ball around the England attack and out of danger from their own 18yard line.

Exactly this.

I can't believe the amount of ignorant c***s I work with who were giving it the England-2, -3....phree munny chat.

Bit gutted I'm off today. Some sore heads and empty wallets I reckon.  :lol:

Just look at the performances of De Gea, Buffon and Neuer in this competition and then honestly tell me Joe Hart is "world class". 

That's the kind of level of delusion English football has about itself.  

Raheem Sterling, £50 million pounds.  A park player who doesn't even understand the very basic tenets of the game, never mind have the ability to do them; just run about fast like a lobotomized ostrich and pick up £200,000 a week.

Jack Wilshere - the finest English midfielder of his generation and Croatia probably had better players carrying the kit hampers.

Boateng, Hummels, Pique, Ramos, Chielini, Bonucci, Barzagli, and Smalling.  Spot the odd one out. 

Delighted for Iceland, fully deserved and they got the Tactics Spot on. Said it before the Euros, England's failure would be down to Hodgson and his poor team selections and blind loyalty to certain players and that's what happened ultimately. Also delighted the English Media have been put in their place as well, no doubt the TV coverage will be less and less now...........That said, and we are all different, I am not delighted they are out or jumping about like a kid either because I am indifferent to it all because unlike us, at least they and the other home nations made it. I think it sums us up as a nation and how pathetic our team is that we see OTT celebrations to England going out. Yes, have a laugh at their expense but the way some are banging on is if its the best thing since sliced bread, end of the day when we wake up tomorrow we will still be rubbish and they will still gub us in qualifying so whats there to get overly excited about?

If anything France will be disappointed it's Iceland they're facing rather than England - Iceland are exactly the type of team they struggle against.

England wouldn't set up particularly defensively, meaning France could just play through them and turn them over easily. Iceland will set up as a tight defensive unit, much like the Albania and Ireland teams they struggled to break down but with better organisation and better players than both those sides, making them harder to break down and more dangerous when they do get the ball. They'll be enjoying the hilarity, but France would much rather England had won last night.

I don't go in for the ABE stuff but that game was magnificent, nobody could watch it without wanting Iceland to win - Englishmen and women aside.  I love watching teams like Iceland in games like that, they played superbly, great discipline and defensive solidity and also they created better chances.  There were two or three times in the second half that Iceland got into excellent situations but just took the wrong option.  On another day they could've scored more goals and would've deserved it.

England were a shower.  Defensively they were an absolute mess - both goals were preventable.  Most of us on here would be disappointed with their Scottish teams losing a goal to a flick on from a throw-in so to see it in international football is an eye opener, notwithstanding Glenn HOddle's assertion that nobody does that in the EPL anymore.  Looking forward to him being appointed new England manager, what a joke.  The second goal saw the defence so static and ponderous when faced with some pretty basic attacking passes.

One thing that the BBC pundits were pretty fair about is the over-rating of English football and English players.  The EPL can be exciting but it doesn't seem to provide English players with the quality needed to do well in international tournaments.  Playing for the English national team seems to tighten up players, they seem to freeze and have no ability to cope with pressure.  Looking at their record, they are a qualifying machine but when faced with sides who fancy beating them in must-win games they can't do it.

I think English football has been obsessed with a certain type of player, the hero, the all action, swashbuckler like Gerrard or Rooney but they don't have players who can use the ball well and keep possesion, they don't have defenders who can actually defend and they don't have strikers who regularly score at international tournaments in games that matter.  

One of the commentators last night said some of that Iceland side (squad?) were part time? Is that right?

I don't think so - looking at their squad most play in the top leagues in their countries

Archived