England vs Iceland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody rated Icelend, even the BBC pre-tournament rated Iceland - they highlighted how good they were in a couple of decent in-depth analytical segments that went right to the grass-roots ... er ... perma-frost roots of the Icelandic set-up. I was rather surprised when they reverted to type and suddenly dismissed them so thoroughly once the sides were drawn together.

Exactly. It's like a compulsive disorder for them all to just suddenly rate their team up there with the best in the tournament despite all evidence to the contrary.

And I genuinely would fancy Iceland to give every team in that competition a game. France will surely be expecting a tough time of it.

MarkoRaj, on 28 Jun 2016 - 07:43, said:

And I genuinely would fancy Iceland to give every team in that competition a game. France will surely be expecting a tough time of it.

I'd expect so as well. They take a lot of the chances they get, and teams don't get much against them. I do suspect France will sneak it, but they're in the same boat as everyone else. They underestimate Iceland, they're out.

Those names. :lol:

Where the f**k did those names come from? I'm assuming it was that brains trust of a panel in the ITV studio.

Saying that, I was having a discussion after it about who England's version of Koeman, De Boer, Van Basten, etc. are. Are there any decent English managers about? Will they be forced to look elsewhere for a manager?

When was the last time they even managed heroic failure in a tournament? I'd say 1998 at at stretch. Even then, Beckham's red card againt Argentina was fully deserved and there was a blatant foul when Sol Campbell "scored" in extra time.

1998 - Lost on pens to decent Argentina side

2000- Group stage humiliation, including throwing away a two goal lead to Portugal and losing to a Romania team who still have won another Euro's match as of 2016

2002 - Golden generation mk 1. Beaten easily by the first decent team they had to play. Brazil also had their best player sent off.

2004 - Golden generation mk 2. Looked ok in the group despite the loltastic defeat to France. They then rely on Darius Vassell to score a crucial penalty in the shoot out.

2006 - Golden generation mk 3 - make the quarters without much fuss, despite having to cheat to beat Trinidad and Tobago. Dumped out on penalties by the first half decent team they played. Star striker sent off in disgrace.

2008 - :lol:

2010 - genius Italian coach from the 90s appointed. They scrape through a group containing USA, Algeria and Slovenia. Utterly pumped by a very young Germany team in the second round.

2012 - Reduced expectations for once. They somehow take Italy to penalties, but were fairly easily beaten.

2014 - Truly pathetic group stage showing. Out before the third game.

2016 - Iceland

Come on, everyone in Scottish football knows that "I like to see all the home nations do well" is rangers-speak for "England are my big team".

Tonight's result has crushed you.

I followed Northern Ireland in France mate and had a terrific week or so. Brilliant set of lads!!

The thing about posters like you who bemoan the 'little England' syndrome are the ones who display the exact same narrow minded attributes when it comes to Scotland's view of the other home nations (particularly when it comes to football) but just don't see it.

I followed Northern Ireland in France mate and had a terrific week or so. Brilliant set of lads!!

The thing about posters like you who bemoan the 'little England' syndrome are the ones who display the exact same narrow minded attributes when it comes to Scotland's view of the other home nations (particularly when it comes to football) but just don't see it.

'Home nations'

Funny as f**k down here. Was finishing a bit of decking in the back garden and the cheers when England went one-up were soon followed by groans.  :lol:

Made sure I popped back out just in time for the full-time whistle.  :wub:

Apologies if this has already been posted a thousand times, but I can't stop laughing. His timing is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gC2JjatGwM

'From nothing, from absolutely nothing'

Erm.. No Steve it was actually a really good move from Iceland, great passing and movement. Imagine picking him to do the analysis on the game considering how shite a manager he was and how he failed beautifully as England boss 😂😂

Archived