Predictions - what will end up happening

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Again, I don't see why decisions made by Referendums have to be unchanged for a generation however circumstances change. If it was appropriate to consult the people directly on an issue instead of using the normal means of representative democracy, then surely it would be appropriate to ask them again if we get a better offer from the EU?

With the Indyref2, I think it's pretty straightforward. The SNP said they wouldn't call one unless there was a significant change in circumstances, and I think everyone but the most bloody-minded can see that this represents a huge change in circumstances.

On the EU, how many of the general population, and I include myself in this, are clued up enough to understand what constitutes a significantly better offer?

With the Indyref2, I think it's pretty straightforward. The SNP said they wouldn't call one unless there was a significant change in circumstances, and I think everyone but the most bloody-minded can see that this represents a huge change in circumstances.

On the EU, how many of the general population, and I include myself in this, are clued up enough to understand what constitutes a significantly better offer?

Very few, that's why Boris will be able to sell a cosmetic change to the rules as a massive victory. It's also the reason there shouldn't have been a referendum in the first place.

If the UK does a u-turn and decides to stay after all, it would make any future referendums - on anything - pointless.

Would hardly be the first referendum on the eu to be completely ignored- the French voted against the eu constitution but it was forced on them anyway.

Bbc reckon it might be like the deal Canada has with the EU- would mean the foaming at the mouth racists are happy that the nasty poles have been kept out.

The Canada deal (not yet approved and still facing opposition) would be a disaster for Britain given that it would fail to cater to our services sector.

But yes, would keep the 'kippers happy despite everything else. Hopefully we don't allow the tail to wag the dog on that one.

There is a wee bit of double standards going on here.

No matter how much we want indy ref 2 never forget that we were promised the EU ref before the 2014 vote. Yes did not make a big enough deal of this.

We did not vote to remain in the uk on the condition that they stay in the EU. We simply voted to remain in the uk.

Now i know im going to hear the but but but better together ssid staying was the only way we could stay in the uk. So what? Politicians say misleading things all the time. The FACT remains that last weeks vote had been promised before the 2014 one. If you had done your homework then you will have cast your vote in 2014 knowing full well this might happened. If you didnt then tough

No matter how much we want indy ref 2 never forget that we were promised the EU ref before the 2014 vote. Yes did not make a big enough deal of this.

We did not vote to remain in the uk on the condition that they stay in the EU. We simply voted to remain in the uk.

Now i know im going to hear the but but but better together ssid staying was the only way we could stay in the uk. So what? Politicians say misleading things all the time. The FACT remains that last weeks vote had been promised before the 2014 one. If you had done your homework then you will have cast your vote in 2014 knowing full well this might happened. If you didnt then tough

I'm a yes supporter btw. I feel its important not to get cought up in something to the point of getting blinkered.

Also with regards to these poles surely the fairest thing to do is set a time limit. Ie should the idea fail to win a referendum then there cant be another one on the same subject for x number of years?

And we were promised indyref2 much more clearly and explicitly prior to May's Holyrood Elections if the European referendum went the way it did on Thursday. If people had done their homework they'd know that a second independence referendum was pledged in the event of a Brexit against Scotland's national decision. So getting into the "you knew this would happen" is a bit pointless, since "we will offer a second independence referendum in the event of Brexit" was there in black and white and much more obvious prior to last week than "there may be a UK-wide Euroref if the Tories put one in their manifesto AND if they get in next year" prior to 2014.

Edited by Antlion

The Britain that Scots voted to remain in is different by dint of Thursday's vote.  It is no longer the Britain I signed up to.

The Britain that Scots voted to remain in is different by dint of Thursday's vote. It is no longer the Britain I signed up to.

Crikey when brit nats are being telt by the sevco camp then you know that there has been a material change!

Option 2 is not accurate. Norway and Switzerland are not all but Members in name. To suggest so, demonstrates a profound ignorance of the role of the EU in governing its Member States. Their voters rejected EU Membership in referenda and did so for very good reasons.

I don't know so much about Switzerland but Norway is an EU member in all but name.

I don't know so much about Switzerland but Norway is an EU member in all but name.

And Boris has feck all chance of negotiating same deal as them....especially with indyref2 on the go....He will be lucky if poles aren't allowed free flights to Dover n Southend for sunbathing n subsidised flights back home

Both pay more by GDP per capita for the deal than the UK and have no place at the table. 

Again, I ken little about CH but I've done a lot of business in Norway and this is a regular complaint.  More worryingly, the Gove/Boris alliance haven't a fucking scooby what to do next.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Thank you.

I was beginning to think I was the only person on here concerned about the implications of undermining the result of a referendum because 'we' didn't like the result.

Pretty sure you're confusing predicting and agreeing with. Stating that Westminster may try and weasel out of implementing the referendum outcome doesn't mean endorsing that approach.

Pretty sure you're confusing predicting and agreeing with. Stating that Westminster may try and weasel out of implementing the referendum outcome doesn't mean endorsing that approach.

I've seen far more discussion about it than condemnation of it on here tbh.

I've seen far more discussion about it than condemnation of it on here tbh.

Well it has to be done one way or another

A General election giving the incoming government a mandate to stay if it can't get full control of our borders, full access to markets and a spare £250 Bn a week for the NHS would be the neatest way of doing it.