Predictions - what will end up happening

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Jeremy Cunt is calling for a second ref to approve whatever deal is made with the EU.

This would be unbelievably stupid. Such a deal can only offered after Article 50 has been invoked and if the electorate reject it, we will probably leave with nothing. This is the sort of statement a man who knows he has no chance of winning would come out with. 

I just can't see any current politician being the one to trigger the actual exit. They'll do everything they can to reverse the outcome, we may see ukip win the next election if that happens.

I just can't see any current politician being the one to trigger the actual exit. They'll do everything they can to reverse the outcome, we may see ukip win the next election if that happens.

Its hard to see how they could do that without massive. MASSIVE protests at best. Its a long time to hang on till the next election

They're fucked. They want to put together a deal to get approval either with another referendum or a general election, before they invoke Article 50. But the EU are basically saying that they won't do a deal or have any negotiations until after Article 50. Mexican standoff?

• 3 years later...

hullo!!  its been over 3 years since this thread !

Did you vote on it? did you post on it?  what do you think now? any predictions come true?

personally I thought by now that it would have been concluded and we'd be in a Norway type arrangement

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

I thought we would have had it all concluded and had a deal and a revised immigration policy.  the irish border practicalities didn't feature strongly enough in my thinking.

the extremes on either side, right wing dafties and MPs that didn't accept leaving at all have stopped anything getting through.

A few changed minds.

On 27/06/2016 at 23:08, The_Kincardine said:

The Britain that Scots voted to remain in is different by dint of Thursday's vote.  It is no longer the Britain I signed up to.

On 27/06/2016 at 16:24, Granny Danger said:

Thank you.

I was beginning to think I was the only person on here concerned about the implications of undermining the result of a referendum because 'we' didn't like the result.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

A few changed minds.

Good find, Welshy.  I was beeling after the result of the Brexit vote and I stand by what you quoted:

The Britain that Scots voted to remain in is different by dint of Thursday's vote.  It is no longer the Britain I signed up to.

The tragedy - post the 2016 vote - is that Scottish Nationalism has hardened and has now become increasingly ethno-nationalist in attitude.

Wee Nikla, during the Brexit debate, was magnificent.  Eloquent, sensible, articulate, and winsome.  Middle-class folk at middle-class dinner parties in middle-class Bucks vaunted her and wished that England had such a leader with sass and class.  Nikla played an absolute blinder and was the only party leader to have any credit during the Brexit debacle.

After the 2016 vote?  The SNP has become a party of division and rancour.  Wee Nikla has gone from magisterial to daft wee fish wife constantly beating the same, tired drum.  The nationalist mood is now one of, "If you don't vote independence then you're not a Scot" and hatred towards The English, The Tories, Westminster and poor auld Thatcher are at a higher level than ever.  The rhetoric is much more acerbic than it was 3 years ago - and this is a shame.

I can now barely distinguish between White Van Man - who supported Brexit - and hate-fuelled Angus who castigates everyone who doesn't support independence.  They are both arseholes who define their politics by identity and grievance.

Is it too late for a group who reckon that Scotland could thrive independently to emerge but who don't buy in to the Brigadoon rhetoric?  A pluralistic group who who eschew the small-minded xenophobia of The SNP and see Scotland in the round rather than a pathetic, divisive monoculture?

I hope so.

Good find, Welshy.  I was beeling after the result of the Brexit vote and I stand by what you quoted: The Britain that Scots voted to remain in is different by dint of Thursday's vote.  It is no longer the Britain I signed up to.

The tragedy - post the 2016 vote - is that Scottish Nationalism has hardened and has now become increasingly ethno-nationalist in attitude.

Wee Nikla, during the Brexit debate, was magnificent.  Eloquent, sensible, articulate, and winsome.  Middle-class folk at middle-class dinner parties in middle-class Bucks vaunted her and wished that England had such a leader with sass and class.  Nikla played an absolute blinder and was the only party leader to have any credit during the Brexit debacle.

After the 2016 vote?  The SNP has become a party of division and rancour.  Wee Nikla has gone from magisterial to daft wee fish wife constantly beating the same, tired drum.  The nationalist mood is now one of, "If you don't vote independence then you're not a Scot" and hatred towards The English, The Tories, Westminster and poor auld Thatcher are at a higher level than ever.  The rhetoric is much more acerbic than it was 3 years ago - and this is a shame.

I can now barely distinguish between White Van Man - who supported Brexit - and hate-fuelled Angus who castigates everyone who doesn't support independence.  They are both arseholes who define their politics by identity and grievance.

Is it too late for a group who reckon that Scotland could thrive independently to emerge but who don't buy in to the Brigadoon rhetoric?  A pluralistic group who who eschew the small-minded xenophobia of The SNP and see Scotland in the round rather than a pathetic, divisive monoculture?

I hope so.

What a load of pish. 

You been at the turps again?

Sturgeon has been excellent throughout - if it had been Salmond I suspect he would have shot his bolt by now.

By playing the wait and see game she has banked on (quire correctly) that the rabid Brexiters would come to the fore.

On 27/06/2016 at 13:01, Deanburn Dave said:

There is no chance of Boris becoming PM. The majority of Tory MPs hate or dislike him and will agree on another candidate.

Spotted one of my earlier posts on page 1 (see above) .     My knowledge of politics is on a par with Boris (i.e. Feckin useless).

35 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Is it too late for a group who reckon that Scotland could thrive independently to emerge but who don't buy in to the Brigadoon rhetoric?

I'm a bit confused here. I don't know ehat you mean by a Brigadoon rhetoric? Surely nobody buys into a Hollywood romanticism of a mythic Scotland stuck in a far off time, surfacing once every 100 years? The last thing a forward looking Scotland needs is the holding on to a belief in some tartan-clad romantic landscape that never existed and I'm not sure many people do.

11 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

The last thing a forward looking Scotland needs is the holding on to a belief in some tartan-clad romantic landscape that never existed.

I could have said that myself.

This resonates with the mood of ScotNats since 2016, though.  It's decreasingly about a modern Scotland taking its place in Europe and more about a depressingly-entrenched 'If you're not a Nationalist then you're not a Scot' attitude of division.

Those of you who strongly favour an independent Scotland (and I wouldn't be averse to it) have got to come up with a way of doing so that bypasses the increasingly toxic SNP.

Edited by The_Kincardine

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I could have said that myself.

This resonates with the mood of ScotNats since 2016, though.  It's decreasingly about a modern Scotland taking its place in Europe and more about a depressingly-entrenched 'If you're not a Nationalist then you're not a Scot' attitude of division.

Those of you who strongly favour an independent Scotland (and I would be averse to it) have got to come up with a way of doing so that bypasses the increasingly toxic SNP.

I don't really sense that's what happening. I'd argue that there are many who see what's happening politically and now have a desire for a forward thinking Scotland as opposed to the insular and backward looking feel of the UK government. This doesn't necessarily mean slavishly following the SNP who, although not toxic, seem to be sending out mixed messages.