Conservative Leadership Thread

Sooky

I really don't mind trolls on here, it's part of the P&B way. But I'm astounded at the number of sensible posters who respond to them and validate their absolute drivel.

Mmm - I dunno.

Trolls troll. Some creeps follow though. I think it's correct to dismantle the rantings of idiots. When you don't, well, eventually Brexit happens.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have liked to see Borris in for the comedy factor but he ruined his chances by actually winning the EU debate which I doubt he meant too. He was going for the gallant loser role.

Watching Boris' speech yesterday, he didn't seem that bothered to be quitting the race to become PM.

Could there have been a deal between Gove and Boris?

Gove saying a few weeks ago he would not run to become PM then he announces he will on the morning the party leader nominations close? 

Watching Boris' speech yesterday, he didn't seem that bothered to be quitting the race to become PM.

Presicely - between that and Cameron's bizarre 'that's now nothing to do with me' performance in the Commons they come across about as bothered as if they've just lost a debating society meeting at Eton. All a game where the mega-rich always end up winning.

Saying does not make it so. Scotland would be "taking back control" by regaining national statehood. When it last had it is irrelevant. The way in which the UK will be "taking back control" will not be turning the clock back to the early '70s.

I've already finished this 'discussion'

To articulate something is to make clear a point. You haven't done that. You've simply misunderstood the word "articulate".

Even if true, to point out something like that is pedantic in the extreme , especially as I have , over numerous posts, clearly stated the reasons I have for continued union with the UK.

No, you're caught up in the Union Jack-waving hatred of anything that you perceive as a threat to British nationalism. I also think there are close cultural ties between the British nations. I also think the British nations have close cultural and diasporic ties with the USA and Canada. That doesn't mean they should all be governed as a single sovereign entity.

I have absolutely no hatred in me whatsoever. I have never waved a union jack in my life and I am absolutely not a nationalist in any form. In fact I detest the 'Angry Nativism' as expressed by too many Scots and Brits. it's a poisonous mindset that creates division. I prefer the status quo as I believe there will me no material benefit to me or this country with independence. Your point re: USA and Canada and ,by default , Australia and NZ is a moot one as they are not part of the same land mass and the land border between Scotland and England is the crucial difference.

That's a lot of words to say that you're a misty-eyes British nationalist with a typical hatred of Scotland's independent voice. If you want second-rate politicians, you need look no further than your beloved Westminster, especially in its current throes. Incidentally, as you know well, the EU doesn't deny member states independence. The union whose altar you worship at does. International law backs me up on this. Member states of the EU are internationally-recognised independent countries. Members of the UK are not.

You attribute to me a love of Westminster , when I have never stated such a thing. I hate Westminster. I would like to see Parliament in the North or Midlands or moved around the country. When I lived in Bristol there were calls for Parliament o be moved to Bristol when the H.o. Commons is due for refurb and for that to set a precedent.

The independence you crave will be gradually taken away in the EU. I won't go on about that as we allknow the ultimate aim of the EU superstate. The devolved powers within the uk will only ever increase to a point where Scotland will be independent in all but name except for a couple of shared responsibilities that won't affect anyone's daily lives and all the while have the back up and clout of being in a nation of 65million.  

No I wouldn't. It's your nationalism that has a fetish for erecting borders. But we're finally getting down to the admission of your strong British nationalism that identities the British state as the only one worthy of recognising. And it's "commonwealth" that you love. One would think your love of it would extend to being able to spell it.

I would think that you have read enough of my posts to know I can spell so pointing out a simple 'typo' is both pedantic and the refuge of someone struggling to win an argument. I'm not a nationalist, as I've said, I'm a 'show me something betterist ' which you are abjectly failing to do. That's not to say it's not right for you. And if Scotland ever went independent I'm sure I would cope just fine with that.

You don't need to imagine it. The union you have a semi for already makes Scotland a mere region clinging on to a unitary state that itself clings to lost dreams of empire. The difference is that you're happy for Scotland to be in that position as long as it's with British nations. If it walks like a xenophobe and quacks like a xenophobe...

Again, you are attributing attitudes that simply aren't there . The only person that comes across as prejudiced or xenophobic is yourself. Your hatred of all things Anglo is bordering on psychotic. I have only ever, throughout all my posts across all the discussions on p&b , expressed how much I love the  Europeans, the English and the Welsh people. I don't confuse the politicians with 'real' people and I don't stereotype whole nations of people based on very narrow narratives that suit my own political objectives.

Who in their right mind, apart from Eurocrats, dream of Empire? You just make up sh*t like that and start spouting it like it actually makes sense. It just shows that you have a very loose grasp of the current political climate in England which is nothing to do with the Brit Empire and everything to do with the evolving EuroEmpire.

And typified by the British empire, which covered the largest land territory in history. But of course you'll exempt that one.

If you know anything of the former British Empire, you would know that Britain could not have achieved that without Scottish soldiers, engineers, bureacrats, administrators and settlers. Proportionally Scotland  had more involvement in building The British Empire than England or Wales. Empires are NOT the way to go, so f*ck the EU. The UK is definitely not an Empire, as you seem to think but an collaboration as exemplified in the 55-45 vote in 2014.

If you know anything of the former British Empire, you would know that Britain could not have achieved that without Scottish soldiers, engineers, bureacrats, administrators and settlers. Proportionally Scotland  had more involvement in building The British Empire than England or Wales. Empires are NOT the way to go, so f*ck the EU. The UK is definitely not an Empire, as you seem to think but an collaboration as exemplified in the 55-45 vote in 2014.

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Bless.

Could there have been a deal between Gove and Boris?

Gove saying a few weeks ago he would not run to become PM then he announces he will on the morning the party leader nominations close?

This was my thought. A wee snow job to wreck both their chances of getting a job thrust upon them that neither of them want, because they'd be crucified if they actually have to face up to the promises they made (Gove especially, who stayed that he wanted the UK to walk away from the single market).

This is an acting masterclass from Gove. A wee chuckle here, a self-deprecating frown there. c**t

Did I read somewhere he was a child actor?

(Or is that what you're alluding to?)

Gove basically saying 'I don't want this, but it is the only course of action to take so I must be Prime Minister'.

He is starting to act a lot like Francis Urquhart.

You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment.  8)

The Telegraph has a lot of inside info - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/30/how-boris-johnson-was-brought-to-his-knees-by-the-cuckoo-nest-pl/.

It's an amazing story with Downing Street and leading Cameroons appearing to plot against Borisconi.

Archived