Oor Nic

Fide

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if they could and I'm not 100% sure on that, it would be political suicide to do so.

Imagine we voted yes in 2014 and the westminster government then veto'd it, can you imagine the uproar?

Much like this petition to do the EU referendum again, it is undemocratic and wrong, as much as I am very concerned about the decision to leave the EU.

If we all insist on living in a democratic society then we just have to live with it.

I have to agree with this, however I did hear something earlier regarding the devolution act stating that Scotland has an obligation to protect the EU, think it was Labours spokesperson who mentioned it. I'm not well read up enough on this to really comment.

Anyway, would be worth doing just for the #bantz & #seethe.

No it wouldn't. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU. Holyrood's whole remit is to abide by the wishes of the Scottish people and to protect their interests. I don't think this will happen, but Sturgeon would be doing exactly what her role as the FM of Scotland demanded of her if she did try and block Brexit. The creation and existence of a Scottish Parliament created this situation - it established an institution that recognises and responds to the democratic will of the Scottish nation's electorate. It is not a tool of the UK government.

I see what you're saying, I do.

But 2 years ago the democratic will of the Scottish people was to be a part of the UK and accept everything that comes with that.  That means that we take part in a democratic exercise as part of the UK as a whole, and the UK took the decision to leave the EU.  Scotland has to accept it is part of that.

I think it gives us the right to hold another independence referendum, as she can say to the people of Scotland if you don't want something like this to happen again , you know what to do.

I don't think she has the right to say we don't like the outcome of this vote we're going to veto it.

I don't get Scottish people that despise Nicola. An incredible politician, an incredible woman and an incredible Scot.

Keep up the good work <3

Missed out "wid"

I agree, she has acted impeccably not only since this result but, in my opinion her entire tenure as FM.

Her speech on Friday was one of, if not the, best speech I've watched a politician make in real time.

I see what you're saying, I do.

But 2 years ago the democratic will of the Scottish people was to be a part of the UK and accept everything that comes with that. That means that we take part in a democratic exercise as part of the UK as a whole, and the UK took the decision to leave the EU. Scotland has to accept it is part of that.

I think it gives us the right to hold another independence referendum, as she can say to the people of Scotland if you don't want something like this to happen again , you know what to do.

I don't think she has the right to say we don't like the outcome of this vote we're going to veto it.

The legal niceties of it are, at the moment, all speculative. But if it turns out she can do this, she has a good case for having an obligation on the part of Scotland's democratically-elected government to block any moves to obstruct the will of the Scottish people, which was to remain European citizens. Her parliament exists to do exactly that.

Interesting to hear "Oor Nic" telling Gordon Brewer there might be a legal basis for Scotland to block a UK exit from the EU.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36633244

Pie in the sky or wishful thinking?

This is going to hit the news Down South where it will be seen as 'not ruling it out = it will probably happen'. Fun for any indyref2 if the rUK changes from lovebombing to a brutal 'fcuk right off you bunch of jock cnuts'.

However, can't see Westminster letting us go in spite if we did that, so probably a stupid thing to pursue.

The legal niceties of it are, at the moment, all speculative. But if it turns out she can do this, she has a good case for having an obligation on the part of Scotland's democratically-elected government to block any moves to obstruct the will of the Scottish people, which was to remain European citizens. Her parliament exists to do exactly that.

And if she doesn't then at least when she asks nervous former no voters to switch to what they'd consider a last resort she can honestly say that the Scottish Government has tried everything else.

This is going to hit the news Down South where it will be seen as 'not ruling it out = it will probably happen'. Fun for any indyref2 if the rUK changes from lovebombing to a brutal 'fcuk right off you bunch of jock cnuts'.

However, can't see Westminster letting us go in spite if we did that, so probably a stupid thing to pursue.

What it entails is refusing to state that Scotland will no longer be bound by EU law. It doesn't stop Westminster making the statement. Interesting constitutional conundrum.

I don't get Scottish people that despise Nicola. An incredible politician, an incredible woman and an incredible Scot.

Keep up the good work <3

Britnats just hate the SNP. Full stop. There's absolutely no logic to it.

Britnats just hate the SNP. Full stop. There's absolutely no logic to it.

And scotnats hate the tories and labour.

If you think there is no logic to any of the above you're deluded. They all have differing beliefs which is perfectly logical.

It's hardly rated a mention on the news "down sowff" so far, thanks to the current obsession as to how long Corbyn can remain in place,and who his likely successor might be. This seems to be even more important to them than who Cameron's successor is likely to be.

Unfortunate timing.

Now she's considering veteoing a democratic decision

Nicola Jong Un

She is elected as first minister of Scotland, defending the interests of the people of Scotland is her priority, the Scottish electorate voted overwhelmingly to remain.powers given to her by devolution are to be ignored ?

You must have missed it. The democratic decision in Scotland was to remain. Therefore "Scotland's first minister is merely doing her job to uphold the democratic will of the Scottish people.

Not sure why you're so upset about this.

The Scottish people aren't supposed to have had any democratic will since September 2014, silly. They were meant to be put safely and securely back in a locked, Union-Jack-painted box.

You must have missed it. The democratic decision in Scotland was to remain. Therefore "Scotland's first minister is merely doing her job to uphold the democratic will of the Scottish people.

Not sure why you're so upset about this.

Again, in 2014 the people in Scotland voted DEMOCRATICALLY to REMAIN as part of the U.K.

The referendum on Thursday was UK wide, not Scottish. Please understand

She is elected as first minister of Scotland, defending the interests of the people of Scotland is her priority, the Scottish electorate voted overwhelmingly to remain.powers given to her by devolution are to be ignored ?

And they've also voted to remain within the UK

It's a pity the SG didn't invest more in education because there is some very thick people in Scotland

Archived