Sorry..

Nugent4nil

It's the manager surely rather than the club who sets the agenda as to what team gets played? Any manager who wants to use it as 4 or 5 games to prepare for the league will not be told otherwise by a committee. Another factor is what happens if you lose a game early on. This will be of immediate apparence to the SPFL fans who are looking forward to their sectional cup. When you lose a game, the remainder of the fixtures become expensive friendlies.

I personally think many fans stay away from the games as they are stale being the same groups year on year, if they even mixed them up now and again to give teams the chance of playing different opponents it might freshen things up.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think many fans stay away from the games as they are stale being the same groups year on year, if they even mixed them up now and again to give teams the chance of playing different opponents it might freshen things up.

Might not feel the same for the smaller teams, our group is a good example. I'm sure the Ants, Neilston and Benburb appreciate what Pollok and Arthurlie bring.

The regional league cups were introduced in the late 60s to play local derbies to attain some extra cash to pay signing on fees. At that time the Ayrshire league was rsgionalissd North /South so Kilbinie would play Beith at least 4 times a season, 2 in league and 2 in league cup which were home and away at the time. It is a typical small time junior mentality competitions like this should have been abandoned when the regions merged . We need to progress.

Robert's right. It should be mixed up. But then I suppose it's all about geography so then it would just be another cup.

Have to admit it's outdated but I also think we need to compensate the smaller clubs in some way if it goes.

It's the manager surely rather than the club who sets the agenda as to what team gets played? Any manager who wants to use it as 4 or 5 games to prepare for the league will not be told otherwise by a committee. Another factor is what happens if you lose a game early on. This will be of immediate apparence to the SPFL fans who are looking forward to their sectional cup. When you lose a game, the remainder of the fixtures become expensive friendlies.

Having seen the East leagues reform its the natural progression. We seem to value diddy cups over the league in this region for some reason or other with the Ardagh given precedence at the start of the season & the evening times at the end . Utter farce if you ask me

Might not feel the same for the smaller teams, our group is a good example. I'm sure the Ants, Neilston and Benburb appreciate what Pollok and Arthurlie bring.

But it's not down to Pollok or Arthurlie to help any team. It's not so long ago Pollok won Superleague with Neilston a very close runner up. Benburb have played Superleague Troon were 2nd division outfit in old Ayrshie leagues and were not in a league cup section with any of the 'big' team.... Look at them now. Don't want to see any junior club go out the game but you make your own fortune .

Yes you do make your own fortune but, for me, playing one guaranteed match a year is a small price to pay to help the wee guys.

The wee guys will always be the wee guys if they adopt a wee guy attitude. The attitude should be bollocks to handouts we will get to Superleague and play Talbot on equal terms.

Just how much in financial terms do the so called wee teams make out of the bigger guns and Ardagh ties?

I'd be hugely surprised if it set them up for an entire season ; obviously they're a bit better with them than without, ï¸however I don't see grounds being tested to capacity when the big boys stroll in for Ardagh qualifying games.

Not many teams even currently bring huge away supports to any grounds in the qualifying games and it's in the small hundreds if that and taking in ground rental , electricity for the game and rates , potentially a half gate if that's the rules in qualifying games as unsure , ï¸however on a whole I don't think the annual away visit from the so called big clubs is quite the huge game changer that people are making it out to be on here.

Just how much in financial terms do the so called wee teams make out of the bigger guns and Ardagh ties?

I'd be hugely surprised if it set them up for an entire season ; obviously they're a bit better with them than without, ï¸however I don't see grounds being tested to capacity when the big boys stroll in for Ardagh qualifying games.

Not many teams even currently bring huge away supports to any grounds in the qualifying games and it's in the small hundreds if that and taking in ground rental , electricity for the game and rates , potentially a half gate if that's the rules in qualifying games as unsure , ï¸however on a whole I don't think the annual away visit from the so called big clubs is quite the huge game changer that people are making it out to be on here.

Spot on.

So what's the problem then? Why are they so intent on wanting to play the 'big' teams. Let's get rid of the boring fart of a competition get a 16 team league set up and move forward.

I'd say it was only fair to put something else in place to compensate the smaller clubs if they got shot of the Sectional League Cups. I know the big guns don't have to do anything, but it would just be the decent thing to do. 

I suppose that the creation of a 16 team league creates greater opportunity for smaller teams to play at the top table, which would be a start. 

My thoughts exactly

I think our section is a bad example to be used in terms of big clubs giving wee clubs an Ardagh pay day every year ;

Can honestly say ï¸as a Beith fan that ive never entered the vale, barrfields , winton park , abbey park and merksworth park and thinking " our cash is keeping these teams afloat big time here , and we take a more than decent crowd to all them grounds.

Think it's because most of the clubs in our section are of a similar stature and have good setups and ï¸good committees .

There is more of a gulf ï¸however in the other sections the further down ayrshire you go and maybe this could be more of a problem with smaller teams digging their heels in but I still don't think that these annual fixtures and the income that they create is ground breaking .

I'd say it was only fair to put something else in place to compensate the smaller clubs if they got shot of the Sectional League Cups. I know the big guns don't have to do anything, but it would just be the decent thing to do.

I suppose that the creation of a 16 team league creates greater opportunity for smaller teams to play at the top table, which would be a start.

That's an excellent point and a 16 top team league is the way to go for sure.

So what's the problem then? Why are they so intent on wanting to play the 'big' teams. Let's get rid of the boring fart of a competition get a 16 team league set up and move forward.

That's my entire point mate and I don't see any clubs in our section salivating over visits from Beith and kilbirnie fans on Ardagh cup duty to keep them afloat .

Maybe in East / South ayrshire where groups see a bigger gap in terms of certain clubs being much bigger than others is a better place to divulge into than our own section.

That's my entire point mate and I don't see any clubs in our section salivating over visits from Beith and kilbirnie fans on Ardagh cup duty to keep them afloat . Maybe in East / South ayrshire where groups see a bigger gap in terms of certain clubs being much bigger than others is a better place to divulge into than our own section.

The East region is progressing they have 16 team league set up with 4 extra home league games to bring in more income. We have sometimes 2 sometimes 3 home games in a compo that managers and players consider as kickabouts in preperation for the start of the league!!! wtf is that all about?

Next step for East is a national junior league... next step for West is to get their heads out their arse

The East region is progressing they have 16 team league set up with 4 extra home league games to bring in more income. We have sometimes 2 sometimes 3 home games in a compo that managers and players consider as kickabouts in preperation for the start of the league!!! wtf is that all about?

Next step for East is a national junior league... next step for West is to get their heads out their arse

Agreed 100% but it's far too lazy for us to blame so called wee clubs for our predicament .

For some reason the East rules the ï¸west in terms of organisation for reasons I simply don't know .

We wont get anywhere though blaming so called wee clubs for our constant failings in us getting the 16 team top tier we deserve , the solution ? God knows ï¸however something needs to change and fast as the east are a great model for us to copy.

Problem is we seldom copy them :(

Probably a daft idea but would seeding the 1st couple of rounds of the WOS cup work? 

It would give lower league sides a better chance of a big team and a possible windfall from a bigger crowd. The main problem for them is the increased likelihood of getting papped out early. 

Archived