Sorry..

Nugent4nil

This years Ardagh Cup Section A

Beith Kilbirnie Kilwinning Largs (All Premier)

AWR and Dalry (ADL)

Exactly and this is my entire point regarding nobody in our section leeching off anyone else via Ardagh group stage gates.

The more cynical person could say Dalry are the farthest removed from the rest but gavin friels their manager is signing two very good auchinleck Talbot players and that's excellent ambition .

I can't ever imagine gavin sitting these guys down and saying that you need to sign for us as our Ardagh cup sectional opponents will pay for your wages all season :huh: .

It's a lazy excuse is this and we need change in our game for sure but let's stop blaming other so called smaller clubs .

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an outsider looking in, the East dumping the League Cup, going to larger leagues, and diving straight into league games for the first seven weeks (aside from one week for East of Scotland Cup) has been a breath of fresh air.

Also, the West stopping for the September weekend has always been a puzzle to me!

As an outsider looking in, the East dumping the League Cup, going to larger leagues, and diving straight into league games for the first seven weeks (aside from one week for East of Scotland Cup) has been a breath of fresh air.

Also, the West stopping for the September weekend has always been a puzzle to me!

I remember at the West agm last year when the point was raised hearing the reply" if I let one of you play a game before the 3rd Sat in July , next year there will be 40 of you wanting to play earlier" Ive not quoted verbatim as I dont often swear, but surely that is exactly what would happen in a democratic manner? Am I missing the point here? Surely if 40 member clubs wanted it to happen then it would indeed do so? Im relatively new to the juniors and may be wrong but in a free world that would would be the natural sequence of events? This is purely a persobal opinion and is not representative of any clubs stance on this matter.

While the sectional league Cup is sponsored then it's going nowhere. Nobody is going to turn down sponsorship money.

This is very true and Ardagh glass is a huge ayrshire company and they constantly back this trophy , They're so big that they're potential Scottish cup sponsors and it's a miracle that they still sponsor this trophy after so much negative publicity :( :(

The East changed through discussions on this forum which went to a number of clubs after being kicked about on here and by committees speaking to each other whilst this was going on. I believe the next move for the east region will be more east of Scotland league clubs looking to join.

In my humble opinion we should move to 4 leagues of 16 teams with 2 up 2 down and some sort of play off system similar to the SFL.

I think the Sectional League Cup at the start of the season should be scrapped and we should start the league season earlier and try and run parallel to the senior game. I also think the Evening Times Champions Cup at the end of the season should be scrapped leaving us with the league, Scottish Cup, West of Scotland Cup and Ayrshire Cup to play for.

The West of Scotland Cup Final should be played about the end of January, beginning of February sometime. The Ayrshire Cup Final should be played about the end of March, beginning of April and the Scottish Cup Final should be the last game of the season and bring the season to an end.

If sponsorship is a concern why not make the Ayrshire Cup the Ardagh Ayrshire Cup?

I also feel that Scottish Cup ties should be played to a finish which would take away the replay problem and allow a fixture list to be made at the start of the season allowing clubs to plan things like hospitality, functions, match ball sponsorship, mascots etc.

Obviously there would still be call offs due to the adverse weather we get however with the season starting earlier and there being no replays in the Scottish Cup there would be plenty time to re-arrange any call offs.

There is never going to be a set up that suits every club but I think it's clear that some sort of change has to take place in order for our game to progress.

There is also the argument to allow clubs with floodlights of a suitable standard to play midweek games in the winter months. I've never met a player who doesn't like playing a competitive game under floodlights and it also opens up the opportunity of Friday night football which to me is very appealing.

I'm sure there are a few clubs out there who have thought about installing floodlights but thought better of it as without being able to play competitive football it's not cost effective.

In my humble opinion we should move to 4 leagues of 16 teams with 2 up 2 down and some sort of play off system similar to the SFL.

I think the Sectional League Cup at the start of the season should be scrapped and we should start the league season earlier and try and run parallel to the senior game. I also think the Evening Times Champions Cup at the end of the season should be scrapped leaving us with the league, Scottish Cup, West of Scotland Cup and Ayrshire Cup to play for.

The West of Scotland Cup Final should be played about the end of January, beginning of February sometime. The Ayrshire Cup Final should be played about the end of March, beginning of April and the Scottish Cup Final should be the last game of the season and bring the season to an end.

If sponsorship is a concern why not make the Ayrshire Cup the Ardagh Ayrshire Cup?

I also feel that Scottish Cup ties should be played to a finish which would take away the replay problem and allow a fixture list to be made at the start of the season allowing clubs to plan things like hospitality, functions, match ball sponsorship, mascots etc.

Obviously there would still be call offs due to the adverse weather we get however with the season starting earlier and there being no replays in the Scottish Cup there would be plenty time to re-arrange any call offs.

There is never going to be a set up that suits every club but I think it's clear that some sort of change has to take place in order for our game to progress.

There is also the argument to allow clubs with floodlights of a suitable standard to play midweek games in the winter months. I've never met a player who doesn't like playing a competitive game under floodlights and it also opens up the opportunity of Friday night football which to me is very appealing.

I'm sure there are a few clubs out there who have thought about installing floodlights but thought better of it as without being able to play competitive football it's not cost effective.

An Ayrshire cup , but no central league cup?

It's amazing how when the weather is nice people suddenly forget what it's like in Winter. If you schedule the cup finals for that time, the top clubs will get have a massive backlog of league games to play after March. 

And appealing to you as it may be, the chances of clubs getting floodlights en masse are about as likely as Hertha becoming a member of the Fauldhouse Coo Shed.

Id never take away scottish cup replays or make the leagues bigger but just getting rid of sectional cup at beginning of season and starting league first Saturday in August and getting midweek games in there wud ease the burden of 4 games a week at end of season

The East changed through discussions on this forum which went to a number of clubs after being kicked about on here and by committees speaking to each other whilst this was going on. I believe the next move for the east region will be more east of Scotland league clubs looking to join.

Yeah it was a 12 month process from posting the initial concept on here to voting on it at an agm. If people in the West want reform, they need to start working on it now for next year's agm, and get clubs onside.

Yeah it was a 12 month process from posting the initial concept on here to voting on it at an agm. If people in the West want reform, they need to start working on it now for next year's agm, and get clubs onside.

And there, in a nutshell, is the answer to the OP.

Id never take away scottish cup replays or make the leagues bigger but just getting rid of sectional cup at beginning of season and starting league first Saturday in August and getting midweek games in there wud ease the burden of 4 games a week at end of season

Getting rid of sectional cup and not extending league would mean some clubs could play less than 30 games a season. With a 30 game league season the least you would play would be 33.

Never been one to abolish Scottish replays but if we continue to play rounds in winter it would help with backlog and a longer term fixture list could be produced. To me the Scottish is losing credibility by the season, going straight to pens in a final cause the players might be tired classifies it no better than a local cup final.

Archived