East Region Premier Season 16/17

whitburn exile

Bathgate 1 St Andrews 2

The Saints are coming, The Saints are coming. Certain posters on here who are exceptionally bitter about the Saints will be crying into their cornflakes as Saints knocked up a 4th win from 5 in the league as they look set to challenge for a quick return to the top flight.

First half was pretty even but Saints looked more dangerous when they had the ball as Thistle huffed and puffed outside the area. Saints took the lead when a Sibanda free kick from around 25 yards wasnt held by Watson in the home goal and it fell to the saints player to knock home.

Second half started in the same vein and it was Saints who doubled their lead as a mazy run down the right pulled the home defence apart and the cross fell perfectly to Sibanda who bobbled it over the line. Finally Bathgate woke up and having rattled one off the bar they now took control of the game for the last half hour or so and reduced Saints to hitting on the counter. However they could only score one when a cross from the right was well put away by the Number 9.

Overall couldnt complain about the result and this was a performance from the Saints that saw them play as a cohesive team and put in a solid 90 minutes of following the managers plans. Looks to be onwards and upwards for the Saints and I can see them having a good season and certainly avoiding the relegation that the doom merchants had them pencilled in for. Bathgate look to have gone backwards from last season and I dont see them challenging based on their performance today.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've posted on the latest scores thread that I was impressed with the way that both teams tried to play on the deck. Having said that Bathgate didn't have a shot on goal until the 35th minute. Still, if they play as they did in the 2nd half they'll be alright.

As for Saints, well I was really impressed with the midfield as they continually won tackles, knocked the ball about well and created plenty of space in the centre of the park. With the attacking trio of Buchan, Sibanda and Schiavone all contributing goals and assists things are looking good. But it's still early days.

DRS you make me laugh...

I am a saints fan and I speak my mind about what I see. Judging by performances in pre season and the majority of the 18 games last season and what locals say,  they were poor. The games this season I am glad they have got the wins as its a long hard season. 

The games this season they have played a virtually new Dalkeith side and lost deservedly. Followed by playing 3 of the promoted teams, Glens very poor Kennoway and Haddington in all these games I would not say they have been far the better team but do have a cutting edge in attack which the others don't. These games have been won on errors and Saints have made less of them which is pleasing. 

I never managed today's game but by speaking to people they have said Bathgate were poor but had chances in the game which could have altered it, the Beauty of opinions. 

Saints serious title contenders I hope they prove me wrong but certainly can't see it and still Believe they will struggle overall this season. 

The last campaign in the Premier  they set of like a train also but maintained it to gain promotion although stuttered the final 5 games or so. Can I see that happening again no not really, the players lack experience and the squad is not good enough in reserve. 

Thats the world of football and opinions unfortunately you dislike them regardless despite it not being the team you support and you have a lot to say about every other team...

18 minutes ago, Cougar said:

Been told Glenrothes may have fielded an ineligible player on Saturday. Can anyone confirm if Dalkeith are protesting? Would be a shame if that mile offside goal never stood. 

Dalkeith played kennoway on saturday.

I would like to say that I was wrong about St. Andrews and have got off to a great start. Made a few good signings right before season started. Still stand by that a few of them they signed wernt good enough. Great start tho keep it up boom

We have now played our First Five Fixtures, Winning 3 Losing 2.
It's been a bit of a mixed bag some very good football played with some cracking goals scored. Some mistakes have been made costing us, we have had injuries that inevitably come along with playing 5 games in 17 days.
Dare I say it there has been a few referee mistakes as well that have hurt us.
But overall after our promotion last year we all knew this was going to be a difficult league to compete in, so I think every one at the club should be happy to be in fourth place after 5 games.
We now have a break next Saturday after the sad demise of Falkirk Juniors.
That is followed by the following fixtures

East of Scotland Cup Sat 3 Sept Lochee Utd v Downfield
League. Sat 10 Sept Downfield v Glenrothes
League. Sat 17 Sept Whitburn v Downfield

Mon the Spiders

On 26 June 2016 at 00:22, pie n beans said:

Arniston had a fantastic run in the last half of the season, Haddington did well, Tranent won't be far away if true about loads of cash maybe a top 4 for Bathgate and Sauchie also

AYE .

bathgate Doon next ti a poor dale team rite now .but with a team full of SUPERLEAGUE stars surely they will be up for promotion shortly 

5 hours ago, Nutshell said:
Bathgate never had injuries first game of the season and got a tanking

Simply not true. The captain was out injured. We were missing a key defender. The trialist in his place came off after 15 minutes injured. This meant two positional changes after less than a quarter of the game gone.
Now, Sauchie are a good side and played very well that day so might we have lost if we had a full team out anyway? Possibly. But if you want to pass comment on any 'tankings' to be provocative you'll probably carry more clout if you deal in the facts.

AYE .

bathgate Doon next ti a poor dale team rite now .but with a team full of SUPERLEAGUE stars surely they will be up for promotion shortly 

Your obsession with us having a team full of SUPERLEAGUE stars (I guess it means more if it's in capitals) is bordering on obsessive. You are aware the league isn't decided after 4 games? You seem to have a problem with the fact that Bathgate have signed players who have experienced a League above our current one. Would you feel better if the club decided to only sign players from lower levels?

1 hour ago, Falside Jag said:

Your obsession with us having a team full of SUPERLEAGUE stars (I guess it means more if it's in capitals) is bordering on obsessive. You are aware the league isn't decided after 4 games? You seem to have a problem with the fact that Bathgate have signed players who have experienced a League above our current one. Would you feel better if the club decided to only sign players from lower levels?

They wer'nt actually a success in the Super league 7 of them played for Armadale in the playoff game against Broughty which saw Armadale relegated

51 minutes ago, Vollyman said:

They wer'nt actually a success in the Super league 7 of them played for Armadale in the playoff game against Broughty which saw Armadale relegated

That may well be the case however how many were part of the side that got you promoted as that is far more relevant.  And that is not to say that therefore it follows that we will be promoted.  But that is the club's aim.  If not this year then hopefully soon.  Are we to be scorned at because we hold that ambition?  The players we have brought in have improved the squad of that I am sure.  DF may have a different opinion but I would question the root cause of this given his posts on the subject.  No matter, as whatever the reason he is still perfectly entitled to it.

16 minutes ago, shuggie123 said:

Whitburn beaten 2-1 at home by an ordinary Arniston side. Improvements needed quickly if they want to avoid a relegation battle.

Best 3 points Arni will get this season. 7 players missing . 5 of them first team regulars.The guys that came in done brill. Scot Lucas no played for a year and other guys playing out of position to . make team up.Mickey Deland MOM.Well done lads.Wasnt too oprimistic about the day but what do i know.

What's happening at Tranent? Could end up relegated after being favs for promotion. 

Must say say that the money man was on here every week last year and pre season but I've not seen him post anything for a few weeks!!!

2 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

What's happening at Tranent? Could end up relegated after being favs for promotion. 

Must say say that the money man was on here every week last year and pre season but I've not seen him post anything for a few weeks!!!

I'm still here shags..  

Sauchie good team well deserved victory, Defo no a 6-2 game tho, anything else you want to know? 

Welt

Archived