East Region Premier Season 16/17

whitburn exile

11 hours ago, superbigal said:

Just back from a fortnights exile in coup torn Turkey. Will take in Lochee Utd v Tayport tonight.

St Andrews have now I believe returned all the missing children to Perth. The softboys as usual were feeling homesick after so many months in Fife. Does look like a long season for them based on what certain players told me of their opinion on management team.

That's just you and your affection of Perth based players lol.

Do you class Patrick, Whitehead, Clarkson and Mackie as soft boys? Ha 

That would be their captain, main defender, No1 GK in that 4. Whom have all signed for decent teams... And IMO all very decent players. Problem is replacing the even soft boys you say with quality which I am not seeing from recent signings. I would suggest a long hard season which will be played out down the bottom end of the league. 

Interesting to hear you say about opinion of management team, it's not the 1st time heard about that and that's from players whom the current regime have signed. 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23/07/2016 at 23:25, Belter1 said:

This will be a tough league. How's Whitburn getting on? Do I think they will be in with a promotion chance?

Naw,midtable me thinks. Consolidation is this seasons key word. Heard Whitburn are planning to build a wee seated stand on the area where the old pavilion stood,will be good for the auld guys to get a seat!! 

In my opinion St Andrews's committee made their own bed last season when they all of a sudden parted company with McGuire. They had a really good start in the superleague and faded away but faith should have been kept after a good season the season before. They decide to bring in an amateur manager with amateur coaching methods of course the players are going to react differently to poor coaching methods and limited knowledge of getting the best from these players. A few amateur players also brought in won't have helped the cause for a team competing to stay in the top tier. They got their just desserts and they had already admitted defeat at Christmas that they were going to get relegated or wanted to get relegated.

Now there is no attraction for decent players there, a half hearted committee, clueless management and a team of mediocre amateur players. What a sorry state for a decent junior club. I think they will struggle this season and will find it tough in a sticky premier league. Instead of having ambition the club have gone back the way and are now suffering the consequences. 

Anyone heard anything at all about Falkirk?

As far as I can see they haven't played a single game in pre-season or announced any signings or what sort of team they will have this season.

Have they been playing behind closed doors? Have they played at all? I know they replaced Karl Lejman with David Lapsley in the middle of June but since then nothing. Unless they have been doing a hell of a lot of work in secret then I cant see them as anything but bottom 4 this season :(

15 hours ago, pie n beans said:

I was just going to ask that about falkirk, I have been asking but no one knows anything rumours were they had a lot of players from a Bo'ness amateur team

Update time -

Falkirk have lost every player from last season. Lapsly apparently has a co-manager in Adam Gardner. Players have been recruited from Bo'ness Cadora.

However they are still looking for players, if interested give them a call.

Last night while out with my son in Windygates we managed to watch St Andrews Utd training and a friendly match taking place over on the other pitch. 

Jesus St Andrews were brutal, or maybe that's harsh but the standard was abysmal. The session was what looked to me as being thrown together and hope for the best. They did some passing drills which my 4 year old does at AM Soccer and some possession drill which the balls spent most of the time being collected in, then what can only be described as either a fitness shooting drill uphill into the goal or just lazy organisation. 

They finished off with a game with a big goal and 2 fun four size goals that my wee lad plays in at the other end, and the players running about taking 3 touches maximum and some needed 3 just to get the ball under control but was no thought or organisation into the session. 

To me the players just seemed to be moaning about it and looked half arsed as the training was IMO a shambles from the beginning. Coaches, no authority, no coaching, and seemed to walk about with the weight of the world on their shoulders. Seriously if that's a junior setup who think they are going to challenge then they better take a long hard look at themselves and the club and realise what's going on. Otherwise they should keep their clown feet and big hats and red noses on as the Moscow State Circus is coming soon and they would fit in perfectly for giving the public a laugh. 

On the other pitch was a friendly between Greig park Rangers and AM Soccer they must have thought a junior setup they must be having a laugh. As both teams looked far more a junior outfit than the St Andrews bunch. 

I think St Andrews would struggle in the Kingdom league... But would certainly learn some stuff from the decent Amateur teams in the area with their setups. 
I have seen Eastvale when they were still a club and GPR training sessions and they were far more constructive and organised than what was on show last night from a junior semi pro club. 

I stick to my opinion that Saints will struggle this season, maybe can get better players in but the quality from games I have seen and the training witnessed last night are quite poor, hopefully not things can improve but they are seriously miles away from challenging for any promotion and may be best trying to consolidate and look to build on that again next year and avoid relegation. 

Victor 

Yes I have always had an Interest since I was a student at the Uni in the early 90s. Since 2012 when we moved up to Lundin links with my job I have followed a bit better and managed maybe 20 odd games over the last 3/4 years. Work normally dictates but if I can't manage I take in other local games being at Kelty, Glens, Kirkcaldy and Dundonald dependant on who is playing and stuff. So maybe more of an arm chair fan but yes I follow them and have some friends of friends who have been involved in the past and currently. 

The only involvement I have come close to was a sponsorship package of players or boards after a conversation with the old chairman David Cunnigham a few years back. 

Got to admire your truthful feelings about the current squad/regime then. However it would maybe help the club out more if you kept supporting them regardless of how you feel they might do rather than criticise them at every opportunity. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you certainly are, and you may even be spot on with it. 

maybe you ain't one of them but it just seems this forum is filled with individuals more interested in having a pop at clubs rather than supporting them. 

No Victor I agree with you but will always be honest. I will support and critisise that's just football. 

Like I have said in the past I hope they do well and build but I am also a realist and from the 3 games I watched against Amateur teams which they should be winning comfortably and really get no credit for it as its expected. Those games have been fairly even apart from Aberdour on Tuesday night. The junior clubs East Craigie they were average against a lower league club granted they had several good chances but never seen a way they were trying to play. The Lochee game they were exposed badly but Lochee will be strong so it's maybe not a true reflection. 

Games last year they were decent in the early part and seemed to be a more structured team, a few heavy defeats after Xmas and was relegation end of season. 

New managers new style whatever the reasons they have certainly gone backwards IMO. 

Experienced boys left, along with several good players and recruitment has been poor based on games so far. That coupled with several locals grumbling on from last year and this season about players complaining about training and committees arguing is not a positive for the club. 

End of the day season starts this weekend  and 3 points it's all forgotten, but we can't get off to a bad start as I fear they don't recover, a decent start from first 3 games at home collecting 5/6 points would happily accept. 

I agree with you on most points there. Although under McGuire it was maybe a happier camp with players etc but results still weren't great if I remember correctly. Although I still thought it was a strange decision to sack him. Got few mates at St. Andrews so hopefully they do well, although I must agree I don't expect them to challenge with a lot of the signings that's been made. Only time will tell though I suppose. 

No results maybe we're not ideal at times but performances was decent and unlucky in a few games. 

Being 4th bottom and 5/6 clubs all separated by 5/6 points does not constitute a crisis. 

Recent super league campaigns prior to last season Saints have finished bottom, winning 4 games the last time they went down, Mcgure won 2 of those when he took over so it was even worse that season. He guided them back up which I never expected when they lost an entire squad apart from 4/5 players.

tayport did not sack their manager, Lochee stuck by their manager despite losing 20 games and winning 3 or something but built for the future. 

I believe if that's the criteria the current manager would need to go as they had 16/17 games left and that's the base St Andrews have set, and I am not advocating that. 

Clubs need to take a reality check I think and realise that progression comes in forms of being up and down and when a young manager turns down senior opportunity to remain at the junior club to be sacked a few months later is poor and that's where loyalty needs to be shown at times, yes the players seemed happy, playing reasonably well but I am certain results would have picked up. 

I expect a few managerial changes in the first 3/4 months however but don't expect St Andrews to be one of them.  

I'm aware that I'm a bit late in doing this but I'm a goalkeeper looking for a team. Previous experience in the Premier and Superleague. Anyone interested please give me a message, thanks.

On Thursday, August 04, 2016 at 14:00, drs said:

Update time -

Falkirk have lost every player from last season. Lapsly apparently has a co-manager in Adam Gardner. Players have been recruited from Bo'ness Cadora.

However they are still looking for players, if interested give them a call.

First game of season and our game against them had been cancelled as they are unable to field a team.

Not a great start. What punishment can the receive for this?

1 hour ago, ARFC Exile said:

First game of season and our game against them had been cancelled as they are unable to field a team.

Not a great start. What punishment can the receive for this?

Surely the opponents will be awarded the points.

Archived