Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, mjw said:

Theres been a few articles like that recently. The reaction from Hothersall is normally about nine on the Richter scale.

Hothersalls' a nine on the roaster scale. Looking forward to his reaction after Slab get trounced next month.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admittedly have not studied it too closely, but, to be honest, I am never entirely sure what this 'progressive alliance' is actually supposed to entail. I have heard and read it being bandied about, but seldom defined. If it is simply, for example, the SNP and Labour talking to each other about some issues at Westminster where their interests overlap, that is sensible enough and I would be very surprised if conversations of that nature did not already take place. As for a closer relationship between these parties and others, however, I do not recognise the advantages for the SNP - and, truth be told, I do not think it would help Labour or any other participating parties much, either. Why would the SNP desire a closer relationship with Labour in their current state, both north and south of the border? Why would they want to join an alliance with the Liberal Democrats, many of whom barely have a progressive bone in their bodies? Also, much of Labour's rhetoric and policy direction on, for instance, immigration has not been what I would consider 'progressive' recently, as ill-defined as that label often is. 

I would totally be willing to listen with an open mind to those who think it is a good idea; as I said, it isn't something I have thought too carefully about. At the moment, however, from the few cases I have read and heard, I am far from convinced of the merits. 

The Lib Dems have tried to use Brexit as a way back into people's hearts despite Tim Farron being a creepy homophobe who can't stop saying he'd go into coalition with the Tories again. Awful party.

9 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I admittedly have not studied it too closely, but, to be honest, I am never entirely sure what this 'progressive alliance' is actually supposed to entail. I have heard and read it being bandied about, but seldom defined. If it is simply, for example, the SNP and Labour talking to each other about some issues at Westminster where their interests overlap, that is sensible enough and I would be very surprised if conversations of that nature did not already take place. As for a closer relationship between these parties and others, however, I do not recognise the advantages for the SNP - and, truth be told, I do not think it would help Labour or any other participating parties much, either. Why would the SNP desire a closer relationship with Labour in their current state, both north and south of the border? Why would they want to join an alliance with the Liberal Democrats, many of whom barely have a progressive bone in their bodies? Also, much of Labour's rhetoric and policy direction on, for instance, immigration has not been what I would consider 'progressive' recently, as ill-defined as that label often is. 

I would totally be willing to listen with an open mind to those who think it is a good idea; as I said, it isn't something I have thought too carefully about. At the moment, however, from the few cases I have read and heard, I am far from convinced of the merits. 

Why would the SNP want an alliance with Labour?
Of what possible good is it for the SNP.
We want out of Westminster ASAP

Likewise why would Labour want an alliance with the SNP.
That would surely be dynamite in England.

This progressive alliance stuff is the realisation of those down south that it's highly improbable that Labour will win an overall majority at Wm again.

Just as, back in 2000 or so, there was no chance that the Tories would ever win a majority again.

Looking forward to the Blairite wing of the Labour party coming out against a real living wage.

It seems to be one of few policy ideas pretty much unanimously supported by all wings of the party.

From a personal point of view I'm wondering if it's actually a little conservative. What will £10 be worth in 2020 I wonder.

It seems to be one of few policy ideas pretty much unanimously supported by all wings of the party.

From a personal point of view I'm wondering if it's actually a little conservative. What will £10 be worth in 2020 I wonder.

f**k ALL.

In euros

Things may have changed with the change in leader but didn't Osborne's 'living wage' have a built in stagger to be about £9
or something like that by 2020. I mean obviously £10 is better than £9 but only a pound better an hour doesn't seem that progressive really.

I suppose Osborne's only applies to over 25s, so having a universal one is better, but really I would be hoping that by 2020 Labour will have a higher amount in mind.

Things may have changed with the change in leader but didn't Osborne's 'living wage' have a built in stagger to be about £9

or something like that by 2020. I mean obviously £10 is better than £9 but only a pound better an hour doesn't seem that progressive really.

I suppose Osborne's only applies to over 25s, so having a universal one is better, but really I would be hoping that by 2020 Labour will have a higher amount in mind.

Does it matter? Not getting elected and Scotland's offski anyway.

Tbf it's a decent policy and I do hope the people of England get behind it. I just can't see England voting Labour in the next 10yrs and in Scotland they are dead. Only Indy can revive a nuSLAB

Does it matter? Not getting elected and Scotland's offski anyway.

Tbf it's a decent policy and I do hope the people of England get behind it. I just can't see England voting Labour in the next 10yrs and in Scotland they are dead. Only Indy can revive a nuSLAB

2020, 100 seat majority for Labour.

Yeah they may as well offer a minimum wage of £100 an hour at this point.

17 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Especially when you have Labour MPs like Graham Jones vocally coming out against it with boring recycled Tory rhetoric.

You don't see many 11% pay rises

3 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Mind and tell them that 30+ years ago some Labour MP stood up in parliament and vowed that the next Labour government would give free tv tae all auld folk.
Tell them I'm still waiting.

Archived