Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

Does the PLP treatment of Corbyn really have much of an impact for your average voter though? In my own experience, the only supporters of Corbyn I know now are in branch meetings. Of my friends, colleagues and family members a few were enthused by him at the start, that almost all disappeared with the EU referendum. I really don't know anyone outside of branch meeting caring much about what the PLP did from my experience.

Granted, the vast majority aren't overly political, but I'm talking about people who're generally anti-Tory but swing voters between Labour and Lib Dems. I also live in a rural town and work in East Lothian so it may be different in urban areas.

I doubt many people overtly care about what the PLP think of Corbyn but from day 1 Labour MPs have been attacking the guy almost non-stop. Of course that's going to feed into people's perception of him. That's entirely what it was designed to do.

I'm not saying Labour or Corbyn would be riding high in the polls if only the PLP had got behind him or that I think Corbyn is a great leader btw.

36 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Yes. Nothing to do with what I was talking about.

I'm talking about people who're generally anti-Tory but swing voters between Labour and Lib Dems.
 I also live in a rural town and work in East Lothian so it may be different in urban areas.

Nothing to do with the SNP yet you mention you work in East Lothian?

Are all the anti-tory voters there pro lab/lib dems?

I'm talking about people who're generally anti-Tory but swing voters between Labour and Lib Dems.
 I also live in a rural town and work in East Lothian so it may be different in urban areas.

Nothing to do with the SNP yet you mention you work in East Lothian?
Are all the anti-tory voters there pro lab/lib dems?

I'm not friends with all of East Lothian. I'm talking generally about the people I know. Include the SNP in there if you want. I'm talking about people mainly on the left of politics.

1 minute ago, BerwickMad said:

I'm not friends with all of East Lothian. I'm talking generally about the people I know. Include the SNP in there if you want. I'm talking about people mainly on the left of politics.

And I'm talking generally as well.

You did mention East Lothian, so anti-tory = lab/lib dem would also = SNP.

If you didnae mention East Lothian then I would accept you were talking about anti-tory in England :thumsup2

20 minutes ago, BerwickMad said:

Well, quite.

Large swathes of Haddington* think you're a c**t.

*Haddington's a town in East Lothian, right?

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Way, way back in the day it was Haddingtonshire

That was after the council amalgamation.

Prior to that it was Haddingtonceistershire.

Well, quite.
Large swathes of Haddington* think you're a c**t.

*Haddington's a town in East Lothian, right?

When I'm knocking on their door asking for rent, they probably do. Ha.

Another nugget forgets who is the real democratic leader of the branch office.
17191322_588867964651837_6799090794087212631_n.png.fe8a74723485f245d1931e8d43b420ff.png

What's wrong with what she said? Whether you agree with Kez or Jez on the issue it's clearly a Scottish issue and Corbyn has undermined the Scottish leader by saying what he has, particularly following on so quickly after Kezia making her comments in a very public forum.

5 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

What's wrong with what she said? Whether you agree with Kez or Jez on the issue it's clearly a Scottish issue and Corbyn has undermined the Scottish leader by saying what he has, particularly following on so quickly after Kezia making her comments in a very public forum.

What, these comments, from last July?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/07/kezia-dugdale-scotland-independence-referendum-brexit-scottish-labour

Anyway, how can Corbyn undermine the Scottish leader? I thought you were all about BetterTogether, PoolingandSharing and all that?

Or is it just the SNP that are vile, racist and divisive?

12 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Isn't Kezia undermining the will of the Scottish people? Instead o greeting and flouncing about there being another referendum (which was mandated by the SNP in their pre election slaying of the Red and Blue Tories) they could maybe fight for their beloved union where they can hide in the shadows and sit on their hands as the Tories ragdoll the poor of the UK.

What, these comments, from last July?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/07/kezia-dugdale-scotland-independence-referendum-brexit-scottish-labour
Anyway, how can Corbyn undermine the Scottish leader? I thought you were all about BetterTogether, PoolingandSharing and all that?
Or is it just the SNP that are vile, racist and divisive?

Kezia Dugdale calls on Scottish Labour to fight against independence and a second referendum then the very next day Corbyn said that a referendum should be held and that Labour shouldn't try to stop it. Kezia is leader of Scottish Labour and this is an issue that is in her remit and Jeremy Corbyn should respect that and not attempt to undermine her or muddy the waters. What has the union got to do with Labour's structure? And what makes you think I think the SNP is racist or anything like that? I very much do not think the SNP are in any way a racist party, yes there are some extremist nutters who support independence but there are also extremist nutters who are opposed to it. The vast majority of Indy supporters are perfectly reasonable with reasonable politics who I simply disagree with on this matter, which I still think is irrelevant to Jeremy Corbyn contradicting the Scottish Labour leader on a Scottish issue.

To be frank, Corbyn is only saying what is clear and sensible.

Westminster shouldn't block a referendum if the Scottish government requests it.

I think it's a very unattractive stance for any leader of any party to seek and campaign to deny people choice.

Kezia could quite easily speak comfortably about the option of indyref2 and endorse a policy of speaking to voters during that campaign in an effort to inform and persuade people to support the Union.  It would differentiate her from the tories while maintaining a unionist stance.  It would also be a tiny nod to the fact that she, and the Labour Party, have diminished in Scotland and need to rebuild support.  She'll never do that by taking exactly the same stance as the Tories and speaking down to (approx.) 50% of the Scottish electorate.

Let's be honest, while Corbyn has failed as Leader of the UK Labour Party, rather astonishingly, Kezia has managed to outdo him as leader of the Scottish Labour Party.

Archived