Hibernian Championship Thread 2016/17

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm split down the middle. I think he's been given a remit that by hook or by crook, get us out this league. He's (pretty much) done that and there's a part of me that feels he done very little work with the squad last summer so that when we went up, he didn't use too much of a budget that was available so he could have more to spend this summer.

Flip side is that, yes we're going up and yes I wanted it to happen by any means necessary, but the way we are doing it is so frustrating. Drawing our way to a title ffs :lol:

Win the league by 30 points or win it by 3; you go up either way. Only difference is you'll be champions like Dunfermline or St Johnstone, rather than Hearts.
If he spends well in the summer, there's no reason Hibs can't be top six next season. Plus you'll have Europe and #threeinarowherewego

How can they get top 6 with the referees against them?

On the face of it we're 9 points clear at the top and in the semi final of the Scottish Cup after putting Hearts out along the way, no chance he'll go in the summer. 

His recruitment this season hasn't filled me with confidence, Marciano has been good, Holt has done a job but needs to go in the summer and Graham has been poor. The emergency loans have been good but they're one off signings he won't be able to do again. McClean and Humphrey have barely played to make a comment on them.

There's a possibility McGinn and Cummings could be away and he could have to replace at least 4 first team players in the summer. He could have a large budget to spend, comparatively speaking for Hibs, if he doesn't use it well we will be bottom 6. 

I think he will go in the summer.  His stock will be higher than it was down south for taking us up and at least reaching the Semi final.  He will know his limitations at the club next season and he will either decide to walk away, blaming finance, people with agendas against him etc or he will go to another club down south.  Either way I don't expect him to be the manager next season.  I will appreciate the "job done" job he's done and we will wish him well.  Win all round. 

He's not the worst manager we've ever had, far from it, but he's nowhere near the best either. An average manager who's getting just about enough out of a talented squad that should be doing more than it is. To give him credit though, he got his game plan in the big games pretty much spot on which gives me hope going into next Saturday.

10 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I would fly to Spain myself if it brought Malonga home for next season. :wub:

His creativity is exactly what we need in this mind-shatteringly dull team.

We're crying out for a decent 'no. 10' type in this team.

Shinnie has been woeful. A Zemmama/Latapy type in the summer window plz.

I'm not too keen on Lennon to say the least and even I think the talk of points totals and how last year's Falkirk team would have competed, are a bit overly-simplistic.

The 13 draws have been frustrating as f**k but the reality is 3 defeats, low 20s goals conceded and 1 defeat out of 12 against potential contenders is one way to win a league. Has Lennon's performance been good enough or done anything to inspire confidence in next season? No. 

But when you've taken 10 points off the team in second and trundled along win/drawing every fortnight for most of the season, it doesn't let them in. Stubbs' sublime to ridiculous style picked up more points but it's not exactly a coincidence that Falkirk could more than match it then but are behind us now.

I'm apprehensive about Lennon's dealings in the summer and our return in general. Not about us being near or the bottom or anything like I've read a few slavers coming out with. I can see next season being underwhelming though. There's no danger we'd sack him after a league and cup semi, so just have to hope for the best.

The thing that really annoys me about Lennon is that in pre season we looked really good!  We were playing fast paced football with the ball on the deck and only punted if it was the only option!  Yet as soon as the season starts he had us playing 3 CH's, 2 defensive wingbacks and a DM and just hoofing it up to Holt, totally missing out our midfield!  The only slight encouragement is him saying himself he isn't happy with his recruitment and that he hopes to be playing better football on the better pitches if we go up.  Overall I can take him or leave him and wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if he left at the end of the season.

I was under the Impression that we were lagging far behind our total point tally from the previous two seasons, although then finishing 2nd and 3rd and now sitting comfortably at top. Yet in fact we can still improve upon our record from our previous Championship seasons (which we both finished with a total of 70 points), by getting 10 points from the last 4 matches. Not impossible, but 4 points from the remaining 4 will also guarentee us the title, so anyone for 4 more draws?

Winning the Championship title with 65 points is very low. St Jonstone won the title with that amount in 2009, Gretna and Partick Thistle went up with 66 in 2007 and 2002, and Dundee won the title with 69 in 2014, but on all other occasions in this century the title was won with 70 points at least.

What's everyone thoughts about the people who keep saying "don't celebrate on Saturday if we win the league cause it's embarrassing" ect. Obviously, not going to be over the top celebrations like the cup win but people are still entitled to celebrate it on the day. After 3 years of going to Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton, Alloa, Ayr I think we are allowed to celebrate getting out of it rather than being big headed arseholes thinking we are better and bigger than this league. 

Aye there will be some celebrations/relief and rightly so. f**k having a pitch invasion though, that would be a total minter. I just want it confirmed first tbh. It's been dragging on for months! 

Noticed a stat today that surprised me. Only three times have a team gone on to win their next league game after facing Hibs. Teams in this league obviously giving it their all against us then sliding back down to their usual standard against the others. What a massive deal we are. 

Archived