Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I would consider yes now. Yes lost the referendum on economics, a major part being the EUs probable reluctance to admit a country that would set a precedent for their own restless nations like Catalonia. That has now gone obviously and Yes is probably now winning the economic argument. A vote for yes would be a means to an end for me, Ill never be particularly emotionally interested in Scottish independence.

I'd be the other way round, yes before.....no now, as long as the SNP continue with the ridiculous " we want to be an independent nation within the EU" pish, i'll remain a no.

Forget about joining the EU, then i'll definately be a yes voter.

I think I would consider yes now. Yes lost the referendum on economics, a major part being the EUs probable reluctance to admit a country that would set a precedent for their own restless nations like Catalonia. That has now gone obviously and Yes is probably now winning the economic argument. A vote for yes would be a means to an end for me, Ill never be particularly emotionally interested in Scottish independence.

It's what? In what way is it winning the economic argument? The SNP budget for independent Scotland based on oil prices that were simply fantasy was a laughable fairy story. It's the economic argument that's now the main thing holding back Yes.

It's what? In what way is it winning the economic argument? The SNP budget for independent Scotland based on oil prices that were simply fantasy was a laughable fairy story. It's the economic argument that's now the main thing holding back Yes.

Never mind boris and nige will sort it all out

1. This result has changed everything.

A lot of people who voted No, or as in my case voted Yes but with a very heavy dollop of scepticism, are now unapologetically shifting both heart and head in the Yes direction.

2. I have friends.

Point one is make believe. There are also numerous folk who voted Yes to independence the first time saying they'd vote no if it were to come around again anytime soon (which it won't). But that doesn't suit your agenda.

Point two is make believe also.

The Catalonia argument is an interesting one. I never thought it carried much weight last time, but a Brexit has utterly destroyed it - because now the ostensible necessity of EU states having to curb domestic independence movements has been completely trumped by the reality of the new dangers the EU is facing - existing members electing to leave.

The question is not now whether the EU will be worried about members breaking up, which is something that isn't happening; it's about members that are running out on the whole thing entirely, which is happening.

Maybe. Need to see how it works out. I'd rather be in the EU than out of it but I'm completely unconvinced by the assumption that Scotland could just waltz back in as an independent nation once the UK itself leaves and it remains to be seen if the EU itself will survive this in any sort of manageable form.

I would not vote for an independent Scotland outside the EU.

I fail to share your concern that Scotland would not be welcomed. It would be an absolute boost to the EU key stakeholders to have Scotland on board as a step towards demonstrating the value of shared European values.

Why on earth would Scotland be unwelcome when similarly sized small countries form the backbone of the 27 member states?

With the UK out, iScotland going into the EU is a formality. Prior to Brexit of course it was a far more complex scenario.

Why on earth would Scotland be unwelcome when similarly sized small countries form the backbone of the 27 member states?

With the UK out, iScotland going into the EU is a formality. Prior to Brexit of course it was a far more complex scenario.

Hb will be along shortly to tell you its impossible

Scotland would be welcomed as a candidate for Membership. It could take much longer than the 18 months/2 years envisaged by the SNP.

Joining would not be a formality if the SNP continues with its plans to use Sterling (outside the EU). The EU would also require a Scottish central bank with sufficient regulatory powers, capital and reserves. 

Scotland would be welcomed as a candidate for Membership. It could take much longer than the 18 months/2 years envisaged by the SNP.

Joining would not be a formality if the SNP continues with its plans to use Sterling (outside the EU). The EU would also require a Scottish central bank with sufficient regulatory powers, capital and reserves. 

I think the Sterling thing is dead now. I also think it would be very difficult for Scotland to establish its own currency just now. This could create problems because we wouldn't be allowed to join the Euro straight away. One option could be to use the Euro unofficially without a currency union (as Montenegro does) whilst we satisfy the conditions to properly join the Euro.

Still can't believe this result, without being too melodramatic, the break up of the U.K. Is now imminent. Despite being a staunch (yep I'm happy with that label) lifelong Unionist, I could not begin to make an argument against a Yes vote in a second Ref, when we have unanimously voted as a Nation to remain in the EU to be rag-dolled out against our will.

They just don't realise what they have done.

Gutted!!😕

Still can't believe this result, without being too melodramatic, the break up of the U.K. Is now imminent. Despite being a staunch (yep I'm happy with that label) lifelong Unionist, I could not begin to make an argument against a Yes vote in a second Ref, when we have unanimously voted as a Nation to remain in the EU to be rag-dolled out against our will.

They just don't realise what they have done.

Gutted!!

And that says it all.

I really hope you guys get a referendum within the next couple of years because although I would be ineligible to vote, the people of Scotland deserve independence.

Archived