Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleased to see a few previous No voters saying they would know back Yes. Although I was a bit OTT during that campaign I do appreciate the concerns they had at the time, particularly regarding currency. The SNP will have to choose; Euro or independent Scottish currency. None of this currency union shite again.

Interesting times ahead.

I don't think we could just 'choose' the Euro. We'd have to ask. Nicely.

Purely anecdotal evidence, I live in London and am disgusted by the vote and will head home with my (equally disgusted) English wife in the event of independence,. I was speaking to my (previously) staunch unionest parents (65+) tonight they made up their mind for a "yes" to independence when they woke up at 7am. Interesting (if racist) times. (please note: I have nothing against people who voted out for 'genuine' reasons, but do have something against the number who voted due to racism/bigotry or gullibility - they frighten me).

What are the "genuine" reasons? All the ones like money, democratic deficit, NHS, security, global corporate world domination etc get demolished in seconds. All you're left with is immigration and thickness. And living in a less stable continent.

Encouraging to see a lot considering switching sides, especially some staunch opponents to independence. Could be emotional, but definitely feels like the major boot of the arse we kind of needed as a nation whilst sitting atop the fence.

What are the "genuine" reasons? All the ones like money, democratic deficit, NHS, security, global corporate world domination etc get demolished in seconds. All you're left with is immigration and thickness. And living in a less stable continent.

What I really, in an awkward turn of phrase, mean is people who actually looked at the actual facts (i.e not £350m to the NHS pish) and came to the conclusion they were better voting leave. I don't pretend to understand it (and fundamentally disagree with it) but can respect it in this case. However, people who simply swallowed the lies by either side, I have no respect for and don't see this as 'genuine' reasons.

I vote we use Kevin Bridges smackaroonies.

Ditiching the currency of a UK with full access to the EU didn't make a lot of sense when viewed in rational pragmatic terms, which is why Yes claimed the plan was to keep using it. After Brexit is the pound really going to be any better than the smackarooni would be?

I dont. I believed we were better as a United Kingdom. It was the right choice, and it still is. The UK remaining in the EU was the best option. I am shocked and disappointed at last nights vote. I believe it is fundamentally wrong.

It is what it is though. There is no going back. I would prefer an independent Scotland IN the EU than a United Kingdom outside it. If Sturgeon can convince me that she can deliver that I would vote for it. If she cant though I would still rather remain together than be independent outside the EU.

I dont really want independence but I would reluctantly vote for it if it comes with an EU membership because the English vote last night was such a mistake.

That's my position as well.

Independence within the EU is far more appealing than Brexit.

Encouraging to see a lot considering switching sides, especially some staunch opponents to independence. Could be emotional, but definitely feels like the major boot of the arse we kind of needed as a nation whilst sitting atop the fence.

It's not emotional on my part.

I said well before the EU referendum that if it were a Leave vote I'd back an IndyRef 2.

Add me to the list of people that's ideal is Scotland within the UK and the UK within the EU

but with Scotland having to choose, then it's independence within the EU rather than staying in a post Brexit UK

The only thing that would probably make me vote No now would be if they could arrange a very favourable trade deal with the UK, and that seems highly unlikely at this point.

Add me to the list of people that's ideal is Scotland within the UK and the UK within the EU

but with Scotland having to choose, then it's independence within the EU rather than staying in a post Brexit UK

The only thing that would probably make me vote No now would be if they could arrange a very favourable trade deal with the UK, and that seems highly unlikely at this point.

For me, and my aforementioned parents, the problem now becomes one of where Scotland sits within the UK. It seems that (even neglecting which way we voted) we are at the mercy of 'extreme' England (or the extreme UK which doesn't represent Scotland). That is to say, that our politics outwardly seem to be divergent between Scotland and the majority of the UK (outside London). It seems to me that this may be the straw that 'breaks the camels back' due to the scale/impact/stupidity of the decision made (probably not helped by non-scottish mps stating why the Scottish government shouldn't have a referendum). Regardless of the decision made during the future brexit negotiations, people are now aware who is the dominant force in the UK (potentially at least, and it isn't the moderates in any of the UK countries).

I was a reluctant No voter but I would never rule out voting Yes, equally I would never rule out voting a party, I approach every vote and consider the options. I always thought I would vote Yes once it was on offer though I then needed to be convinced it was best for me, my family, community and country. I still would vote yes but I'm well aware at how the emotions and views today can easily change. 38% voted leave, the SNP have over the last 3 referendums/elections been around the 45-50 mark. Nicola always said she wanted a consistent 60% before going for another indy ref. This swing to getting it up the UKIP /Boris coalition is only 5 minutes old. If we lose again its definitely off the table.

I voted No in 2014, but very reluctantly, and I was always prepared to be swayed until the very end.

I voted to leave on Thursday.

Obviously this isn't exactly convincing me to vote Yes this time around.

I voted no, and still feel inclined to, but I'm probably a lot more open to the idea than I was in 2014.

I don't like idea of being in an independent UK, nor do I like the idea of being in an independent Scotland. I think both options are the wrong one and it comes down to, for me, being whether it's preferable to be independent from the UK but part of Europe, or independent from Europe but part of the U.K. I'm unconvinced that the former option is any better than the latter, but I'm definitely more on the fence than I was.

Though I don't get a vote anyway (but me and my wife pretty much decided yesterday to move back to Scotland) so I guess it doesn't matter.

I am a No voter who had always 'considered' Yes. If the economic argument had persuaded me at the time I would have considered it in 2012 - the oil price projections in the white paper seemed, to me, to be miles from reality and that turned out to be the case.

You must have made an absolute fortune, forseeing the collapse of the oil price. Well done.

Archived