Are you a 2014 No voter who would now consider Yes?

Fide

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm moving to Manchester in a few weeks but if I was staying in Scotland I'd be a solid yes voter now.

I don't regret voting no, though. I think we'd have had awful market crashes if we went independent in the first referendum

Maybe. Need to see how it works out. I'd rather be in the EU than out of it but I'm completely unconvinced by the assumption that Scotland could just waltz back in as an independent nation once the UK itself leaves and it remains to be seen if the EU itself will survive this in any sort of manageable form.

I would not vote for an independent Scotland outside the EU.

I am. But then I'd have said that in the event of a Remain vote anyway so I'm probably not the best example.

Anybody who wouldn't consider a new proposition based on its merits is a fool. And there are exactly those type of fools on both sides of the debate.

I am a No voter who had always 'considered' Yes. If the economic argument had persuaded me at the time I would have considered it in 2012 -  the oil price projections in the white paper seemed, to me, to be miles from reality and that turned out to be the case. Was the EU a part of my decision to vote No, certainly it played a part. On the whole I believed we were better off as part of the union - and being part of the single market that is Europe.

Now, however, changes are clearly afoot and we have seen the market reaction many feared at the time of the IndyRef occurring this morning. The political and economic landscape changed this morning - it will be interesting to see how the economics play out over the coming months.

What is clear to me, and anyone who can read or see, from yesterdays vote is that the is a clear political and ideological divide between Scotland and England (and Wales for that matter).  I didn't quite grasp the level of Xenophobia and resentment with Europe from down south - I'm still yet to see a reasonably explained economic argument for leaving. I genuinely didn't see that level of reaction down south in some areas as high as 70%. I don't think the SNP should rush into getting a mandate for a second referendum, however, as I believe if it were to happen this time next month the result would still be No. 

Would I now consider Yes? Well as I said above, I already did consider it, and would certainly be open to considering it again now that the economic and political landscape has changed so drastically. 

Whenever the economy was brought up in debates about Brexit, variations on "what price control????!!!" and "WE ARE *GREAT* BRITAIN" were the default - occasionally prefaced with "well everyone's wrong about the economy this time."

The hatred of any kind of non-British political union in which London was not the centre of everything trumped (excuse the pun) all arguments about the economic repercussions of leaving south of the border.

Archived