The David Cameron Resignation Thread

FlyerTon

News was saying there could be a General Election in November - can't see it myself - I know the Tories have been divided but they'll rally around whoever is their new leader.

Why on earth would they go for another Election when they have a majority?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News was saying there could be a General Election in November - can't see it myself - I know the Tories have been divided but they'll rally around whoever is their new leader.

Why on earth would they go for another Election when they have a majority?

Because they'd win by a landslide.  

I can't see Corbyn surviving this either, which ought to kick off another fight amongst the Labour party. 

The Tories will probably put aside their differences and get on with it, therefore fancying their chances. 

I can't see Corbyn surviving this either, which ought to kick off another fight amongst the Labour party. 

The Tories will probably put aside their differences and get on with it, therefore fancying their chances. 

Corbyn disappeared for the last month.  His leadership has been feeble.  

I couldn't have anticipated this even last week but what's happened with the referendum result and Cameron is a game changer.

Because they'd win by a landslide.

Under the new rules, Governments can no longer call early General Elections.

The only way a vote will happen before 2020 is if there is a Vote of No Confidence, even then it has to be (I think) a 2/3 majority.

The only way a vote will happen before 2020 is if there is a Vote of No Confidence, even then it has to be (I think) a 2/3 majority.

I didn't know that.  Thanks.

Surely that law could quickly be changed by a simple majority vote. If the Tories on both sides thought it was beneficial for this to happen then it could happen quite quickly. Don't know about the HoL position in this and if it could be a fly in the ointment.

Archived