Black Friday - financial crash thread

ICTChris

I managed to get my hands on Dollars at a decent rate when it became apparent Leave was winning. Got in at $1.46 when the forex markets were down at $1.36 (benefits of staying up all night I guess). 

I've probably now made a profit on that, even allowing for rip off charges on return. 

The initial losses will be recouped to an extent. As someone above has said at this point it's mostly institutions shorting their Sterling positions as a protection measure. They will wait and see how the land lies before deciding if it is worth going back in.

Personally I think the UK will be shafted by the rest of Europe when it comes to negotiating the terms of them leaving. The UK needs the EU far more than the EU needs the UK.

Pretty much this.

On the upside bought my Euros for going to France ages ago at 1.29 and just arranged a new fixed rate 5 year mortgage.

When they building the first of these "new hospitals every week"?

:thumsup2

See when they say 8% has been wiped off the ftse etc, 35% has been wiped off the value of rbs etc., where does the money actually go. Like surely it doesn't just disappear?

Those b*****ds at the EU steal it.

I'm leaving for Canada next week with about 2k savings. The trend looks pretty stable but I'm concerned it won't hold. Should I pull it and take the cash or change it before I go?

Boris fixed that for you.

FTSE back to over 6,000, down 5% as investors profit from over-reaction. Plenty of bargains around if you have the cash to invest.

Stop orders and trailing stops kicking in. The positions that were sold bought back at a lower price.

f**k, our Germany/Italy holiday in October is now going to cost a fucking fortune.

Should have bought yesterday rather than trust the pundits and poor pollsters.

It's 1.25 Euros now, about the same as four years ago. I was getting 1.10 to 1.13 on holiday in 2010. 

See when they say 8% has been wiped off the ftse etc, 35% has been wiped off the value of rbs etc., where does the money actually go. Like surely it doesn't just disappear?

The truth is this - Yes it does vanish into thin air!

It is similar to someone doing a valuation on your house.

Companies such as RBS borrow money from the shareholders - who pay to buy shares

They pay dividends to stop the shareholders taking their money back

Shares at RBS that were worth £100 are now worth £65.

The shareholders might say - bad idea - let me have my money before the shares are only worth £35.

Bad new for RBS if all shareholders withdrew their money (which is when the government has to step in).

The last boom occurred when it seemed everybody could get a mortgage and had a house that was worth more and more

The last crash occurred when it was realised that this was not true - especially those houses where the owners defaulted on the mortgage, were evicted but the bank could not sell the house to anyone.