Black Friday - financial crash thread

ICTChris

13 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Pound at $1.3 cha ching for those that get paid in dollars

ME!!!!

Or Swiss Francs.

Hit 1.25 versus CHF earlier. Astonishingly low rate.

Why were you sacked?

Because they could. Management attitudes/ behaviour in the site I worked at have become unrecognisable from what was the norm ten years ago. Full time workers not appreciated for knowledge and acquired skills, the use of agency "heads" who can be laid off willynilly the new way forward. Anyone speaking out or standing up for themself or others not " playing the game" and are regarded as undesirable. Sackings and disciplinary actions are still going on regularly but people just keep their head down because "its a job". Nobody appeals the sackings as they are threatened with loss of acquired pension etc.

The £ is meant to drop further against the $. 

It could hit below 1.2 before the end of the year.

Blip.

To be honest I've read articles suggesting it could rise back up to the 1.40/1.50 mark, especially once we get a new PM sorted and the uncertainty of the US election gets factored in, especially if Trump is doing well.

On 07/07/2016 at 10:30, Enigma said:

To be honest I've read articles suggesting it could rise back up to the 1.40/1.50 mark, especially once we get a new PM sorted and the uncertainty of the US election gets factored in, especially if Trump is doing well.

Well half of that theory is now in the process of being tested.

Sterling had dropped about 1% this morning and then after you posted rallied back to roughly where it was yesterday 

This could have been down to the markets reading your post but, with all due respect, it probably had more to do with the new Prime Minister being sorted out. 

If the US electorate shoots itself in both feet by electing Trump then the UK's decision to only shoot itself in one foot will look pretty smart by comparison so that bit makes sense but theoretically some of that risk is factored in to the market already so if Hilary starts to look safe then the Dollar should rise further.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Sterling had dropped about 1% this morning and then after you posted rallied back to roughly where it was yesterday 

This could have been down to the markets reading your post but, with all due respect, it probably had more to do with the new Prime Minister being sorted out. 

If the US electorate shoots itself in both feet by electing Trump then the UK's decision to only shoot itself in one foot will look pretty smart by comparison so that bit makes sense but theoretically some of that risk is factored in to the market already so if Hilary starts to look safe then the Dollar should rise further.

Head shot, more like.    After recent events, I am genuinely worried.

14 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Pretty much this. Another slight rise this morning so far but plenty more turbulence on the way with article 50 likely to be triggered relatively soon if May's comments yesterday were anything to go by.

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

So you're not completely ruling out the global currency markets being swayed by posts on Pie & Bovril either.

We live in interesting times. Perhaps Div is a lizard person and we have more influence here than we were previously credited for...

There's not much they can do given how hilariously low the rates already are. A brief strengthening of the pound has me tempted to bail and grab my holiday money tomorrow before the fact that the country is still pretty much fucked sinks in. 

I'd expected a drop to 0.25% but I imagine with the Tories taking some fairly decisive action it has been decided that it's best to wait and see how that pans out over the next few weeks.

There hasn't been a massive jump in the pound, I assume as everyone still expects the rate cut to happen sooner rather than later. Unless you are changing massive amounts, you won't see much difference.

6 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I'd expected a drop to 0.25% but I imagine with the Tories taking some fairly decisive action it has been decided that it's best to wait and see how that pans out over the next few weeks.

There hasn't been a massive jump in the pound, I assume as everyone still expects the rate cut to happen sooner rather than later. Unless you are changing massive amounts, you won't see much difference.

MPC voted 8-1 in favour of no change. You are really have a total mare on this thread.

1 minute ago, Bishop Briggs said:

MPC voted 8-1 in favour of no change. You are really have a total mare on this thread.

Most in the markets had priced in a drop. The £ has moved marginally since the announcement was made. Most clearly still pricing in a drop. Would expect it to happen in August.

Just now, Ross. said:

Most in the markets had priced in a drop. The £ has moved marginally since the announcement was made. Most clearly still pricing in a drop. Would expect it to happen in August.

The markets had expected Britain to vote to Remain in the EU. They are not perfect forecasters of events and their recent track record has been abysmal. The banksters' and hedge funds' pollsters even screwed up their forecasts on referendum day. 

Just now, Bishop Briggs said:

The markets had expected Britain to vote to Remain in the EU. They are not perfect forecasters of events and their recent track record has been abysmal. The banksters' and hedge funds' pollsters even screwed up their forecasts on referendum day. 

Who said they were?

Most expect a cut in UK interest rates. I'd say it's more likely to happen than not.

FWIW I predicted during the Independence debate that England would vote to take Scotland out of the EU if Scotland voted to remain in the UK.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Who said they were?

Most expect a cut in UK interest rates. I'd say it's more likely to happen than not.

FWIW I predicted during the Independence debate that England would vote to take Scotland out of the EU if Scotland voted to remain in the UK.

So did I - and now the regionalists who at the time claimed it was scare-mongering are saying it was a known possibility.