Scottish Cup

Cityfan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no reason why they couldnt expand the qualifiers to the eight from each of the North and South qualifying competitions. They could then remove the byes to Round two, and have it all in from the first round. It would make the Cup much more exciting froma fans point of view.

And would certainly give the non league clubs more chance of gaining financial long term security with the added revenues a cup run brings.

Mon the Fife id agree wi you there as it would give some of the smaller non league teams a chance tae take on some of the bigger boys. An away trip doon tae East Fife for Buckie sounds fine and a almost a bye intae the second round for us :D

Tarvie i see Locos have signed Andy Roddie a player who couldna get into hElgin Citys first team and are currently rock bottom of the 3rd division.He sounds like a class player bring on the Q Cup match next saturday

Tarvie i see Locos have signed Andy Roddie a player who couldna get into hElgin Citys first team and are currently rock bottom of the 3rd division.He sounds like a class player bring on the Q Cup match next saturday

670069[/snapback]

I heard they were looking at him and thought that they might bring him in as a bit of back up and to help pass on a bit of experience :D

Tarvie are yi looking forward tae the Q Cup match on saturday without doubt the biggest match of the season so far. Theres 3 Buckie supporters buses comin through so we are up for it. Canna see us winnin 6-1 this time but i recon we will win 2-0

Tarvie  are yi looking forward tae the Q Cup match on saturday without doubt the biggest match of the season so far. Theres 3 Buckie supporters buses comin through so we are up for it. Canna see us winnin 6-1 this time but i recon we will win 2-0

676199[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

3-1 ya bass, Shame I was at the Saints v Scumdee game in Perth

:rolleyes:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

3-1 ya bass, Shame I was at the Saints v Scumdee game in Perth

681466[/snapback]

Aye Tarvie i deserve yir stick there we were absolutely s***e and the score qwid have been 6 or 7.A the best in the Scottish Cup and the same goes for Forres and Lossie.Peety the Jags are out :(

The quarter finals of the Scottish Qualifying Cup (South) will be:

Preston Athletic v St Cuthberts Wanderers

Edinburgh City v Civil Service or Spartans

Selkirk v Girvan

Threave Rovers v Annan Athletic

Winners go through to Scottish Cup.

The quarter finals of the Scottish Qualifying Cup (South) will be:

Preston Athletic  v  St Cuthberts Wanderers

Edinburgh City  v  Civil Service or Spartans

Selkirk  v  Girvan

Threave Rovers  v  Annan Athletic

Winners go through to Scottish Cup.

685337[/snapback]

Get that South of Scotland pish out of our forum.

I still remember sticking eleven past the South of Scotland Champions St Cuthberts when we were Highland League Champions. I believe Bobby Wilson said in the Sun when asked what the score would be, he said we would hammer them. How right he was.

Get that South of Scotland pish out of our forum.

I still remember sticking eleven past the South of Scotland Champions St Cuthberts when we were Highland League Champions.  I believe Bobby Wilson said in the Sun when asked what the score would be, he said we would hammer them.  How right he was.

687610[/snapback]

Carlos I can mine County winnin that day as i think it was the same day my ither team the Arabs went tae Ibrox and were 3-0 up on 20 minutes. Did County nae beat Forfar or somebody 4-0 away the next roon and the lad Grant notched a hat trick. Highland League teams were awesome in the Cup back then wi Huntly also beating a few league teams. And i mine listening tae Caley on Moray Firth beat Airdrie on pens aboot the same time

Aye thats right. Beat Forfar 4-0 at Station Park, but lost 2-0 to Alloa in the Third round and had to watch the wasps play at Ibrox instead.

It was rare for a Highland League team to lose a cup game back then! I also remember that cup game for Caley and it was about the only time I have ever wanted Caley to win. Wasnt it the season before or after Airdrie made the final in 91/92?

Wasn't alive during some of Elgin's big cup runs as a Highland league team, but have been told many times stories of getting to the quater final against Morton and of the time we were 1-0 up against celtic with 10 mins left only to lose 2-1.

Sadly, i think the gap is far too big nowadays for a highland league team to get past the first 2 rounds. If lossie were to get the likes of Gretna, Morton etc in this years cup, they could well be on the end of a thrashing.

Yes thats very true. However the Highland League was far stronger back in the early nineties when County, Caley, Thistle and Elgin all shared championships (if not the medals;)). Morton beat Cove 7-1 last year and I would imagine if Morton got any team non league of the Third Divsiion they would beat them. Effectively they are a First Division club.

I would imagine Lossie will not win a game, but you just never know. A bye into the Second round and an easy tie against Elgin and they would get into the money spinning Third Round!

Locos, Forres and Cove will probably fair a bit better bit it is the weakest group of teams to qualify in a few years. But in saying that three of the top four currently have all qualified so maybe Im being incredibly harsh. But if you chaged Huntly for Lossie, it would be a strong line up.

We got past Hamilton in 2001 fan they were miles clear in the 3rd div and Huntly got past the Bloo Toon last season fan they cruised div 3.Forres also beat East Stirling in 2002 tae get a match at Tannadice. Its nae impossible but in the 80s and 90s there were loads o shocks. First Scottish Cup matches i cane mine were fan the Jags put out Meaowbank and Stranraer before getting beat 3-1 at home by Stirling in front 0f 3500 at Victoria Park superb stuff.

Archived