Champions League 2016/17

lichtie23

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

I just had a quick scan of that article but is he really arguing that the English Premier League is so competitive is why they aren't doing so well in Europe? Whereas the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich are so dominant at domestic level they reach the latter stages every year?

So the argument that Scottish teams (well Celtic just at the moment) are so shit in Europe because they don't get challenged enough domestically is rubbish.

He talks about Leicester being the fourth different English club that has made it to the quarter finals and how although English clubs only have four quarter finalists in recent years, just because Spain have had 15 in the same period, its been just four different club's therefore "Spain's and Germany's dominance is a reflection not of the quality of the league overall but, rather, of the staggering dominance of its bloated, all-powerful super clubs".

The only staggering thing is that Leicester have broken the staggering dominance of the England's "bloated, all-powerful super clubs". How many different English teams have reached the quarter finals even before the last few seasons when they haven't done as well. Its the same names all the time there too?

The argument over the physicality of the Premier League and its competitiveness being it's downfall does have some merit.

Generally speaking, it may be a cliché but there probably isn't that many easy games in England from a physical perspective. Every game is played at a high pace etc. Even when teams are losing, they'll still work hard etc. You could also label this as a lack of game management. Why run around mental, chasing the game when you are being pumped?

In Europe, you may find teams are losing 2-0 etc and decide to shut up shop, take the defeat and wait for the next fixture. Conserver energy, avoid injuries etc. Is that better game management?

The game is Europe tends to be played at fluctuating levels of pace. It's not all 100mph stuff. There are periods when the game slows much more than in England I'd suggest.

The amount of physical contact in England is greater too.

Combined, these factors will ad up and contribute to the problem. English football is still heavily transition driven. It needs to move away from that or do it more effectively. It's all just gung ho at times.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the article is more saying that there's been higher turnover in the top four in England, meaning it's been more difficult for teams to get experience as CL sides.

Maybe the bloated, super-rich megaclubs in Germany and Spain are just better managed than their equivalents in England as well.

On 17/03/2017 at 12:21, fueradejuego said:

The argument over the physicality of the Premier League and its competitiveness being it's downfall does have some merit.

Good point about the physicality, but that's your point, its not mentioned in the article at all.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think the article is more saying that there's been higher turnover in the top four in England, meaning it's been more difficult for teams to get experience as CL sides.

Maybe the bloated, super-rich megaclubs in Germany and Spain are just better managed than their equivalents in England as well.

Maybe that's it, but if you look at the teams who have qualified for the CL from England in the past ten years, Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal have all qualified just about every year (Chelsea missed out for the first time last year and Man Utd twice in past three), the other team that used to always qualify is Liverpool and Man City have just taken their place. So its the same teams pretty much all the time, only Spurs (twice) and Leicester once have also qualified. 

How different is that to Spain? Yes Barcelona and Real Madrid have qualified every year, Atletico Madrid have now made it six times, with Sevilla taking over from Valencia as the other more regular qualifier. Villareal, Malaga, Real Socidedad and Athletic Bilbao have all qualified too. 

That looks like the Spanish league is more competitive to an extent. ;-)

12 hours ago, Blue_e'hm_A_Dee said:

Fantastic draw yesterday, canna wait for Monaco vs Dortmund should be end to end scenes (hopefully)

Should be a great tie. Both teams great going forward, not so good at the back. Cue two nil nils and a penalty shoot out ! 

Maybe that's it, but if you look at the teams who have qualified for the CL from England in the past ten years, Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal have all qualified just about every year (Chelsea missed out for the first time last year and Man Utd twice in past three), the other team that used to always qualify is Liverpool and Man City have just taken their place. So its the same teams pretty much all the time, only Spurs (twice) and Leicester once have also qualified. 
How different is that to Spain? Yes Barcelona and Real Madrid have qualified every year, Atletico Madrid have now made it six times, with Sevilla taking over from Valencia as the other more regular qualifier. Villareal, Malaga, Real Socidedad and Athletic Bilbao have all qualified too. 
That looks like the Spanish league is more competitive to an extent. ;-)

Everton also qualified once butbyour point still stands

Don't think Everton actually qualified they got put out in the qualifying rounds by Villarreal didn't they?

I was 12 [emoji38]

I vaguely remember them finishing 4th when Liverpool won the CL. No idea how they actually did.

I was 11

2005/06, Everton lost 4-2 to Villarreal in the Qualifiers. James McFadden and Duncan Ferguson featured in both ties, believe it or not.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

2005/06, Everton lost 4-2 to Villarreal in the Qualifiers. James McFadden and Duncan Ferguson featured in both ties, believe it or not.

Yeah then Villarreal got to the semi finals that year playing Arsenal, losing 1-0 over 2 legs.. being a big arsenal follower  (more then than I am now, was 13) Villarreal got a penalty last minute at El Madrigal and Riquelme missed it.. good times :rolleyes: only for Belletti of all people to ruin my night in the final against Barca..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived