Have the golden years of Scottish Football just ended?

I think it's close between our clubs but the cup win for you lot will probably edge it.  We got Champions League qualifiers in the liquidation season followed by back to back 2nd places.  The torrid next season was buoyed by the fact we got to skelp them 6-1 in the playoff game and by the end of it, a pretty decent 2015/16.  Just wish Stuart McCall knew how to manage a cup tie.

Without question our Cup record in that same period is what lets us down and why it has to be viewed as a period of missed opportunity for us. In 11/12 and 12/13 we arguably had the best squad out with the big two but we choked in the cup matches largely thanks to that eejit McCall and his ridiculous selections and failure to properly prepare the side for those games. Then in the summer of 2013 after his flirtations with the Sheffield Utd job, McCall made a complete mess of rebuilding the squad and filled it full of journeymen on decent contracts. Our feeble attempts at Europe in that time also was a major black mark and if anything, helped to undo all the good work to get there in the previous season.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 players of 16 that played over the two Motherwell games are still at the club, two of which have been out on loan in the past year and will probably be loaned out again this year. And that team that lost to St Johnstone has beaten Kilmarnock and Celtic, as well as destroying Dundee.

You didn't beat Celtic, you drew with them and won on penalties. You took two games to finally scrape past Kilmarnock. Dundee were just simply dreadful that day, we thumped them as well on the last day.

None of this gives any clue on how that Rangers team would have got on in the Premiership, its a long season and everyone on a good day can beat someone on a bad day. But with your new players we will never know how good that first Warburton side would have been in comparison.

During the absence of Rangers its been the most successful period in the short history of Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

2012/13 4th place and only 2 points off the Europa League qualifying (first ever finish in the top 6) A 1-0 win at Celtic Park, 3 wins over County, the 3-0 humiliation of Charles Green's Rangers at Ibrox being among the highlight that season.

2013/14 Started the season brilliantly and topped the table until mid October playing the best football ever seen at the club, then Butcher and Malpas left and was replaced by John Hughes and we dropped back to a 5th place finish end of season but with our biggest ever points haul. 1st ever League Cup final appearance (a competition we previously had a poor record in).

2014/15 Greatest ever season, 3rd place finish with 65 points and qualification for Europe. Scottish Cup winners. So many highlights like beating Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi final.

2015/16 Not so successful, but we made our debut in European competition.

If we compare ourselves to what Iceland did, then the following take more of the blame:

Walter Smith, Archie Knox, The SPL.

Under the guidance of Smith and then McLeish Scotland were well placed in the Top 20. At one point they were ranked just one place behind England

Under the guidance of Smith and then McLeish Scotland were well placed in the Top 20. At one point they were ranked just one place behind England

What's the got to do with the price of cheese. What lasting legacy was put in place by Smith and his pal who took over the Youth Set-up?

The plan that Bonhoff put in place was scrapped/never implemented on the recommendation because Walter and Archie knew best.

Based of Wikipedia squads - Average ages rounded to nearest whole number.

Aberdeen - 24

Celtic - 24

Dundee - 25

Hamilton - 24

Hearts - 23

ICT - 26

Killie - 27

Motherwell - 26

Thistle -24

Ross County - 26

Rangers - 24

St Johnstone - 27 

Ours should drop a wee bittie when we finally manage to punt Sutton.

:lol: you are totally deluded, our team last year would have easily made top 6 and man for man i wouldnt have any of the aberdeen players in the rangers starting 11, its goijng to be a shock for you this season, normal service resumed

Rangers away form in the Championship was absolutely shocking for any team, never mind champions.  Rangers success was based purely on good home form.

Going up a level will only see their away form remain poor and their home form decrease against better quality opponents.

Will Rangers make Top 6?  Probably, but that's no great achievement.  Motherwell with  5,000 supporters have regularly been top 6 over the last 10 years or so.

Rangers will lose 10 league matches next season.

i'll give you clint hill, but the rest of them are , of a much higher quality than any of the diddies in the league and on a par with celtics players

Granted that your top scorer was given an opportunity by Warburton, but remember he was released by Wigan Athletic because he had been pushed down the pecking order by last seasons top scorer at relegated Dundee Utd as there was little chance of him making the first team. Guess which one is being given a chance to play next season in the English Championship?.

I'm surprised by your conclusions on the Premiership teams since your club has never played most of them under Warburton. You will need the experience of these new players like Hill and Barton, its a hard league and there is no restbite and less opportunity to coast games, no Alloa, Livingston, Morton or St. Mirren that will allow your players to flatter to deceive and hide their weaknesses, players are fitter, faster and a lot more street wise than what you have been used to, this week in week out. Every manager and player in the Premiership probably watched the Cup final and many will think they will have already sussed out Warburton's tactics. Rangers will challenge Celtic eventually, but in the meantime they are there for the taking.

You didn't beat Celtic, you drew with them and won on penalties. You took two games to finally scrape past Kilmarnock. Dundee were just simply dreadful that day, we thumped them as well on the last day.

So Hibs didn't beat Dundee utd in the semi final the day before in your logic

I demand a rematch of the final

That's beating them in the best possible way :)

What is the best way of beating them?. Any win would do for us, we don't beat them very often but when we do everyone remembers. Beating them 3-1 on their own turf while the team is sitting midtable in the 2nd tier is a particularly sweet one?. The 3-2 win in the Cup semi final on our way to winning the Scottish Cup back in 2015 another.

We'll be the underdogs this coming season in our games vs Rangers as we are against Celtic, lets hope your fellow fans continue to write us off.

So Hibs didn't beat Dundee utd in the semi final the day before in your logic

I demand a rematch of the final

I have no idea what your idea of what my logic is, therefore this is your logic, not my logic??.

Explain your logic, ....be specific now

For me too.

Nobody can deny we were by far the better team on the day.

The fact we let them back into the game twice, giving them a sniff only to cement the pain in the shootout made it all the sweeter.  Much exuberance and goading was done by the Rangers fans.....from the stands.

Far more exciting than scudding them by 3 or 4 goals, that game had it all and it really hurt them badly.

Rangers don't really do Cup winning very well, imagine being beaten by Hibs in a Scottish Cup final. I can see from how they go on and on about it about it that it really hurts them, probably more than the Dundee Utd defeat or the Raith Rovers one in the cups or being humiliated 6-1 on agg by the 2nd worst team in the Premiership. 

At least they can sob quietly away with the knowledge that they finally won the Challenge Cup at the 4th attempt. :lol:

Archived