Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Coleman is much better than Hutton, it's not even close

O Shea is better than Martin

Clark is better than Hanley

Ward is better than Whittaker/Mulgrew who played. Better than Robertson defensively.

McCarthy on a different level to Brown.

Our players try to play football against teams with much better players. Laudable, but not very effective. Ireland are not afraid to be confident & direct when they need to, which is quite a lot. By doing that they managed to beat better teams who were clearly not up for the fight...

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So three games to find "the best system" before finishing 3rd behind England and Slovakia. Then the inevitable "Well, if you ignore those opening three games it's a good campaign".

Rinse and repeat.

'England and Slovakia have better teams than us, so we can't expect to beat them. So apart from losing to Lithuania, it was a good campaign' - just posting this in advance so Lhichtie doesn't have to.

Anyway, I'm sure we're all used to Strachan being an utter gobshite by now. There hasn't however been anywhere mear enough criticism of his wunfelaff tribute act today. You don't suit a beard Gordon. Just no.

Coleman is much better than Hutton, it's not even close

O Shea is better than Martin

Clark is better than Hanley

Ward is better than Whittaker/Mulgrew who played. Better than Robertson defensively.

McCarthy on a different level to Brown.

In the tartan prediction of doom thread you said that Hutton wasn't pish. Make up your mind eh?

In the tartan prediction of doom thread you said that Hutton wasn't pish. Make up your mind eh?

Well he's not pish in Scotland terms, in comparison to our next best RB he's like fucking Cafu.

He's a poor to average EPL player, still nowhere near as good as Coleman though.

Republic of Ireland winger James McClean: "The passion, grown men crying and complete love for our country, it is quite remarkable.

"We knew it would be win or bust, we left nothing on the field, the best night of my life hands down."

I can't imagine any of the current Scotland crop coming out with a comment like this. You get the feeling that the Eire players would give their all for the jersey. That's where the role of the manager comes in - if Strachan (or anyone else) can instill a similar level of pride and commitment it could be just as effective, perhaps more so, than having more talented players in the squad.

I don't agree with some of his opinions, but I don't really see what's making folk so mad. We're a decent enough team, with a couple of major deficiencies (especially at centre half, where our options are beyond push), but we lack top quality players.

This really.

What is 'defeatest' about saying our team is as good as teams that are in the knock out stages of the Finals?  And does anyone think that matches against England will be easy?

Banding about phrases like 'abject failure' is ridiculous.  We had a very hard group with three teams in it that have gone to the final stages of the competition.  How many other teams did that apply to?  Also we matched Poland over two matches and bettered Ireland.  We failed in one match in a 10 match campaign in an extremely hard group, that does not constitute 'abject failure'.  There were freak results elsewhere,  other teams got lucky (particularly Ireland against Germany and Georgia), but overall the margins were very thin between success and failure. 

For me, the qualification group we are going into is easier than the last one.  Slovakia are no better than Poland and in my opinion are not as good.  Slovenia and Macedonia are not as good as Ireland and the derby nature of the matches against England give you the hope, perhaps realistic or not, that we might get something from the top seeds in the group.

But as usual the Scottish penchant for doom and gloom reigns supreme.

Well he's not pish in Scotland terms, in comparison to our next best RB he's like fucking Cafu.

He's a poor to average EPL player, still nowhere near as good as Coleman though.

Everyone's perception is different but in my eyes Hutton was the worst player in arguably the worst ever EPL side last season.

I agree he's nowhere near as good as Coleman. I also agree with your wider point on this thread which appears to have been that our players are pish. I don't agree that that automatically means we can't expect much from them. An average international side with no superstar players can qualify every now and then - we can't even do that.

If it is the case that our players are shite, then Strachan coming out with the stuff he did today is even more unacceptable because he's lying in that scenario - we are not better than several teams there.

Either the players are better than he thinks and he can't get them performing in which case he should be sacked, or he has a shite group of players which he feels he can't do anything with - in which case he should be sacked. Am I missing something?

Ireland's late shows happened so many times ( still happening btw ) that it's hard to dismiss it as freakish or lucky. They did that because they had the attitude to drive on. We don't have that.

It's more than one bad result, which was actually a fucking disgraceful result. We failed to take a single point from Germany. A team Ireland and Poland both took four from. We also horribly threw away a win against Poland at home, despite looking fairly comfortable for much of it. The exact opposite of the sort of attitude and determination we've seen from others.

The Ireland results were pretty good, and showed that we could have done better against the others. We didn't. Strachan had a job to get us out of that group, a doable task, and he failed at it.

I think what pisses most people off about the situation is taking 4 out of 6 against Ireland and then blowing all the good work against Georgia.

Ireland taking 4 off Germany was also the difference.

But it was in our hands against Georgia and we messed it up.

It is all quite simple really....Yes a little like me .

Everyone's perception is different but in my eyes Hutton was the worst player in arguably the worst ever EPL side last season.

I agree he's nowhere near as good as Coleman. I also agree with your wider point on this thread which appears to have been that our players are pish. I don't agree that that automatically means we can't expect much from them. An average international side with no superstar players can qualify every now and then - we can't even do that.

If it is the case that our players are shite, then Strachan coming out with the stuff he did today is even more unacceptable because he's lying in that scenario - we are not better than several teams there.

Either the players are better than he thinks and he can't get them performing in which case he should be sacked, or he has a shite group of players which he feels he can't do anything with - in which case he should be sacked. Am I missing something?

But I do think we're better than some teams there.

Do you think Northern Ireland or Albania for example would have qualified from our group?

Eta: actually Albania were decent. Point is you can't say we're worse than X team there purely because they qualified. The circumstances in which they qualified from were completely different.

I think that Northern Ireland side would have finished where we did. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up the odd result but don't have the strength to get more. Even two points against Poland would be punching well above their weight.

I think that Northern Ireland side would have finished where we did. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up the odd result but don't have the strength to get more. Even two points against Poland would be punching well above their weight.

Totally agree. And that's the thing. It's like saying Forfar are better than Dunfermline if Forfar get through their league cup group containing Dumbarton/Dundee/Peterhead/East Fife and Dunfermline don't get out their group contains United/Inverness/Us and Cowdenbeath. Just can't use that as a comparison.

Lex why you bothered. You've got your other British regions to cheer on anyway.

I'm a Scotland fan, that's why I'm bothered. Sorry if that gets to you.

This really.

What is 'defeatest' about saying our team is as good as teams that are in the knock out stages of the Finals? And does anyone think that matches against England will be easy?

Banding about phrases like 'abject failure' is ridiculous. We had a very hard group with three teams in it that have gone to the final stages of the competition. How many other teams did that apply to? Also we matched Poland over two matches and bettered Ireland. We failed in one match in a 10 match campaign in an extremely hard group, that does not constitute 'abject failure'. There were freak results elsewhere, other teams got lucky (particularly Ireland against Germany and Georgia), but overall the margins were very thin between success and failure.

For me, the qualification group we are going into is easier than the last one. Slovakia are no better than Poland and in my opinion are not as good. Slovenia and Macedonia are not as good as Ireland and the derby nature of the matches against England give you the hope, perhaps realistic or not, that we might get something from the top seeds in the group.

But as usual the Scottish penchant for doom and gloom reigns supreme.

Macedonia?

Archived