Gordon Strachan

Elixir

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Look at the Scotland team Berti inherited. Unless he wanted to keep fielding the ageing jobbers who had failed to get us to Euro 2000 or World Cup 2002, he didn't really have much of a choice than to throw caps at young players who were having good spells.

This. I still remember a radio interview where Craig Brown was asked - in passing, not critically - who he'd brought though after Barry Ferguson. His response was Mark Burchill - then pause...

Just look at the 35-man squad Brown used for WC 2002 qualifying: only Burchill (who didn't play), Paul Gallacher (ditto), Ferguson, Naysmith, Nicholson and Severin would've been under-28 come Euro 2004... only Burchill wouldv'e been under-25!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_6#.C2.A0Scotland

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Re the players (I'm too lazy to find and quote) I would advocate getting rid/sacking a lot of them. They failed- P45 (Same as ginger-winger:- failed = P45)

Now, another point I'd like to throw in here, we're constantly told the Aberdeen players aren't good enough, but there's one who just helped his team QUALIFY for a WC Finals, Gordon, Mark.

Found out the last Don to start a competitive international was Russell Anderson in 2004, now, admittedly we've had some right pish in the intervening years, but the wee shit's comments (re-iterated by many on here) that they're not picked because they don't play in "big" games is kinda shat all over by their selection of sevconian cuntos playing in the 4th, 3rd and 2nd tiers in Scotland.

Strachan is a wee dick who sticks to his favoutrites like the week kid in school trying to be cool hanging around the smokers bogs. McGhee is a twat! Neither knows anything about tactics in the modern international game, so they should be gone, NOW!

And, for the argument "Aye, but who do you suggest is better?" there's plenty, but the SFA are too scared and too miserly to even look past the shiny buttons on their blazers and the next free 9 course dinner.

f**k the useless players (that's nae all of them mind)  f**k the "management", f**k the SFA, f**k you if you don't like what I posted!

Wild ride of a post.

The current lot haven't got us close to a major finals, so yeah lets continue with failure, that's what will work

They got very close these last two times. Don't exaggerate.

I know it's still failure but at half time on Sunday we were looking at a playoff, with some realistically beatable teams.

I don't really want a man who threatened to slap a female reporter to be our next manager. He's had a disastrous time since leaving Everton and shouldn't even be in the running for it. 

Can have a go at him for a lot of things but not that first thing, stupid thing to do but there was nothing in it.

I've no idea what'll happen or when we will hear what will happen but hopefully it's soon so we can move on.

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Can have a go at him for a lot of things but not that first thing, stupid thing to do but there was nothing in it.

I've no idea what'll happen or when we will hear what will happen but hopefully it's soon so we can move on.

Not really  a case of just "Nothing to it" for lot of people  who didn't appreciate his comment, it shows him in an awful light.

To answer your second point, his future will be discussed at a meeting on Thursday at an SFA meeting. 

I have to say that compared to some of the truly awful campaigns under previous managers this one saw us playing some decent attacking football for once. That said when we needed to be really bold in the Slovenia match we inexplicably retreated into a defensive shell and got what we deserved.

To be fair to Strachan he is painfully short of centre backs - for me that is the biggest problem we have. Any combination of Hanley, Berra and Mulgrew is miles away from what we need to carry the day at tough away venues when the chips are down.

I watched Eire last night play virtually no football and defend in numbers - and as always seems to happen for them they take one solitary chance. What they achieve in almost every campaign beggars belief.The difference between them and us is twofold:-

- they have a total belief in their ability to get big results - from management right through squad

- their central defence is rock solid

For us to turn in such a pitiful display against a team who had nothing to play for reflected very badly on management and squad.

Having witnessed so many dreadful campaigns I fully expected us to "blow it" either in Slovenia or in the play off itself and the only surprise was that we weren't really close. Usually we lose an against run of play injury time sickener but we weren't worthy of a 2-2 draw and that was unacceptable given what was at stake.

I don't really want a man who threatened to slap a female reporter to be our next manager. He's had a disastrous time since leaving Everton and shouldn't even be in the running for it. 

If Moyes gets it we should form an angry mob, advance on the SFA offices and burn them to the ground with all those SFA blazer-wearing c***s inside.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 18:25, Snakebite said:

Someone may have access to these, such as HJ, but there was a Fifa survey done around 2008 or so and it showed we had less registered footballers than the likes of Ireland and Croatia.

FIFA "Big Count" 2010:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160608095313/http://www.fifa.com:80/worldfootball/bigcount/registeredplayers.html

6,308,946 ... Germany
1,794,940 ... France
1,513,596 ... Italy
1,485,910 ... England
1,138,860 ... Netherlands

846,736 ... Russia
692,317 ... Ukraine
686,257 ... Czech Rep
656,964 ... Poland
653,190 ... Spain
596,281 ... Austria
552,939 ... Sweden
443,383 ... Belgium
428,968 ... Slovakia
359,221 ... Greece
352,165 ... Norway
301,333 ... Denmark
252,844 ... Eire
232,700 ... Switzerland
197,657 ... Turkey
148,649 ... Finland
132,734 ... Portugal
132,182 ... Serbia
127,226 ... Hungary
111,089 ... Scotland
109,799 ... Croatia
108,620 ... Romania

69,040 ... Bosnia-Herzegovina
67,550 ... Wales
53,730 ... Albania
50,633 ... Bulgaria
43,866 ... Israel
41,453 ... Armenia
38,820 ... Northern Ireland
32,480 ... Luxembourg
30,725 ... Slovenia
27,820 ... Kazakhstan
26,786 ... Georgia
25,810 ... Belarus
22,896 ... FYR Macedonia
21,508 ... Iceland
19,670 ... Azerbaijan
19,203 ... Cyprus
15,774 ... Lithuania
10,753 ... Malta
10,420 ... Moldova

9,324 ... Estonia
8,385 ... Latvia
5,694 ... Faroe Islands
3,037 ... Andorra
2,025 ... Liechtenstein
1,586 ... San Marino

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

If Moyes gets it we should form an angry mob, advance on the SFA offices and burn them to the ground with all those SFA blazer-wearing c***s inside.

Wouldn't go that far, i just don't think he's a reasonable candidate and has a had a rubbish few years. He did do well with limited resources at Everton for a long spell of his career though which must count for something,

Re the players (I'm too lazy to find and quote) I would advocate getting rid/sacking a lot of them. They failed- P45 (Same as ginger-winger:- failed = P45)
Now, another point I'd like to throw in here, we're constantly told the Aberdeen players aren't good enough, but there's one who just helped his team QUALIFY for a WC Finals, Gordon, Mark.
Found out the last Don to start a competitive international was Russell Anderson in 2004, now, admittedly we've had some right pish in the intervening years, but the wee shit's comments (re-iterated by many on here) that they're not picked because they don't play in "big" games is kinda shat all over by their selection of sevconian cuntos playing in the 4th, 3rd and 2nd tiers in Scotland.
Strachan is a wee dick who sticks to his favoutrites like the week kid in school trying to be cool hanging around the smokers bogs. McGhee is a twat! Neither knows anything about tactics in the modern international game, so they should be gone, NOW!
And, for the argument "Aye, but who do you suggest is better?" there's plenty, but the SFA are too scared and too miserly to even look past the shiny buttons on their blazers and the next free 9 course dinner.
f**k the useless players (that's nae all of them mind)  f**k the "management", f**k the SFA, f**k you if you don't like what I posted!

Good rant. I like it. Aberdeen have been pretty good and consistent the last few seasons and have had some decent results in Europe, yet none of them get a game.

Today I'm probably in the 'get someone else in' camp. I love being fickle.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Forget Moyes. We should do that anyway for the sake of Scottish football.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

McGregor isn't even a regular for Celtic, are we just expecting to throw caps at everyone who goes through a good spell? As that's all Berti did.

And got us to a playoff, something no one has done since....

Berti Vogts was shite

Wouldn't go that far, i just don't think he's a reasonable candidate and has a had a rubbish few years. He did do well with limited resources at Everton for a long spell of his career though which must count for something,

Nope. Counts for very little and it was years ago. He's hardly won anything.

He may be perfect for Scotland: the very embodiment of boredom, bog-averageness and losing.

On 10/10/2017 at 16:15, 54_and_counting said:

The current lot haven't got us close to a major finals, so yeah lets continue with failure, that's what will work

As you're aware, Northern Ireland qualified for Euro 2016 and are in the playoffs for the World Cup.

Steven Davis has been a regular for Northern Ireland in both of these successful campaigns. He is currently 32 years old and has 99 caps.

Gareth McAuley has been a regular for Northern Ireland in both of these successful campaigns. He is currently 37 years old and has 74 caps.

Prior to the successful 2016 campaign, Davis had taken part in five failed campaigns, McAuley in four failed campaigns. The closest they'd got to even a playoff spot was 5 points away. They'd finished 5th twice, on one of those occasions finishing below Azerbaijan.

Under your argument, surely both of these players had failed so many times that they had to be cast out entirely, if they hadn't qualified before they were obviously never going to manage it and they were part of the problem? No, of course not, they were the best players available in their positions so they continued to be selected, allowing Northern Ireland to put out the best team possible.

This also demonstrates the inherent and obvious contradiction in your 'we need to replace them all and get youngsters more experience logic'. If we flood the squad with youngsters to give them experience, claiming results don't matter for the first couple of campaigns, then by the time they're all pushing 30 and have four failed campaigns under their belts you're going to be screaming for them to be dropped in favour of younger players as they've failed so often. By the time they've built up the experience that could benefit them, you'll want to rinse and repeat again. It's reactionary nonsense.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

As you're aware, Northern Ireland qualified for Euro 2016 and are in the playoffs for the World Cup.

Steven Davis has been a regular for Northern Ireland in both of these successful campaigns. He is currently 32 years old and has 99 caps.

Gareth McAuley has been a regular for Northern Ireland in both of these successful campaigns. He is currently 37 years old and has 74 caps.

Prior to the successful 2016 campaign, Davis had taken part in five failed campaigns, McAuley in four failed campaigns. The closest they'd got to even a playoff spot was 5 points away. They'd finished 5th twice, on one of those occasions finishing below Azerbaijan.

Under your argument, surely both of these players had failed so many times that they had to be cast out entirely, if they hadn't qualified before they were obviously never going to manage it and they were part of the problem? No, of course not, they were the best players available in their positions so they continued to be selected, allowing Northern Ireland to put out the best team possible.

This also demonstrates the inherent and obvious contradiction in your 'we need to replace them all and get youngsters more experience logic'. If we flood the squad with youngsters to give them experience, claiming results don't matter for the first couple of campaigns, then by the time they're all pushing 30 and have four failed campaigns under their belts you're going to be screaming for them to be dropped in favour of younger players as they've failed so often. By the time they've built up the experience that could benefit them, you'll want to rinse and repeat again. It's reactionary nonsense.

your use of davis kinda highlights my point, by the time he turned 21 he had 10 caps, barry bannan wasnt even capped at 21, mccarthur who started in the must win game against slovenia didnt get his first cap until he was 23, hell even scott brown, who everyone championed to come out of retirement only got 1 cap when he was 20 and never appeared again for 2 years

lets look at northern irelands squad, niall mcginn got his first cap at 21, but they stuck by him, gave him experience, he's 30 with 50 caps now, josh magennis, aged 27 has 32 caps, griffiths is the same age with just over half the caps magennis has

no one is saying throw in 11 uncapped players and they'll turn int stars in 8 years or whatever, but the trend of keeping older players until they drop over giving our next gen experience early enough is never gonna help us, there's brown saying he'll stay if strachan stays, brown will be 34 by the time the next euros come round, 36 by next world cup, do we continually give him caps until then, when he finally retires we expect the likes of ryan fraser or john mcginn to immediately fall into his place in midfield and slot right into international football

its alright saying "aye but give them friendlies, phase them in blah blah" thats clearly not worked with the guys we did do that to, however trusting the best of the best hasnt done the likes of tierney and robertson any harm

a must win game against slovenia, and scotland threw on steven fletcher, a guy with only 30 caps in 9 years and only managed 9 goals for scotland, 6 of which came against Gibraltar, what should scotland do the next qualifiers, continue using fletcher in the hope he turns into a goalscoring machine

A falkirk fan might be able to provide more info, but jordan mcghee has 20 caps for the u21's, surely to f**k its time he got a chance at full international level and see if he can make the step up, lord knows centre half is murder right now for scotland, or scotland can continue with the likes of martin, mulgrew and berra, then when they 3 all chuck it and mcghee is 26 and not played a national team game for 5 years, he can be picked and expected to slot right into national level

On 10/10/2017 at 16:32, RandomGuy. said:

McGregor isn't even a regular for Celtic, are we just expecting to throw caps at everyone who goes through a good spell? As that's all Berti did.

You can't pick a whole team like this, but taking one or two players who are going through a purple patch and hoping they can bring that into the national team is not the worse thing to do.

Particularly in a must win game when there's been performances from the likes of Philips and Bannon in the previous game.

your use of davis kinda highlights my point, by the time he turned 21 he had 10 caps, barry bannan wasnt even capped at 21, mccarthur who started in the must win game against slovenia didnt get his first cap until he was 23, hell even scott brown, who everyone championed to come out of retirement only got 1 cap when he was 20 and never appeared again for 2 years
lets look at northern irelands squad, niall mcginn got his first cap at 21, but they stuck by him, gave him experience, he's 30 with 50 caps now, josh magennis, aged 27 has 32 caps, griffiths is the same age with just over half the caps magennis has
no one is saying throw in 11 uncapped players and they'll turn int stars in 8 years or whatever, but the trend of keeping older players until they drop over giving our next gen experience early enough is never gonna help us, there's brown saying he'll stay if strachan stays, brown will be 34 by the time the next euros come round, 36 by next world cup, do we continually give him caps until then, when he finally retires we expect the likes of ryan fraser or john mcginn to immediately fall into his place in midfield and slot right into international football
its alright saying "aye but give them friendlies, phase them in blah blah" thats clearly not worked with the guys we did do that to, however trusting the best of the best hasnt done the likes of tierney and robertson any harm
a must win game against slovenia, and scotland threw on steven fletcher, a guy with only 30 caps in 9 years and only managed 9 goals for scotland, 6 of which came against Gibraltar, what should scotland do the next qualifiers, continue using fletcher in the hope he turns into a goalscoring machine
A falkirk fan might be able to provide more info, but jordan mcghee has 20 caps for the u21's, surely to f**k its time he got a chance at full international level and see if he can make the step up, lord knows centre half is murder right now for scotland, or scotland can continue with the likes of martin, mulgrew and berra, then when they 3 all chuck it and mcghee is 26 and not played a national team game for 5 years, he can be picked and expected to slot right into national level

Jordan McGhee

That's plenty.

Archived