Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

No friendly this week, of course. You'd think we could have done with working on tactics or formations; testing new players or giving more experience to existing ones; ranking points; etc.

Take your rational thoughts and get the hell out of the TA sub-forum :lol:

3 hours ago, lonewolfie said:

Strachan is just simply an utter disgrace of a manager.
Listen to the pre and post match interviews with Coleman,  Martin O'Neill & Michael O'Neill.
Compare those with WGS and his jaundiced bile, his baffling answers and his downright obstinacy.

Go NOW, ya failure.

I'm afraid this is totally true. 

I thought that Levein's perceived arrogance owed plenty to an insecurity.

I don't think Strachan's necessarily does though.  I think he really is jumped up enough to believe that his stubbornness has some rationale behind it.  He has none of the genuine humility required to work at doing well.  Instead he wishes only to project his players as humble in terms of ability, as a means of wriggling from a hook.

His failure in this role has been profound and absolute.

2 hours ago, johan scott said:

Ah, obviously Charlie Elvin's the man we're looking for then. Inbred teuchter moron.

I was talking to a coach of a fairly successful youth side from Aberdeen who was trying to get his A licence.  He was mentored by Jocky who let the coach  demonstrate a training routine that he normally does.  It was a fast , passing drill making the players think , pass and retrieve possession. Something he had learned by watching Dortmund and Bayern while in Germany.   Jocky kept stopping him saying he wasn't stopping the routine enough to tell the players what they were doing wrong, upsetting the flow of the drill and completely fucking up the intention of getting the players to think for themselves quickly to keep momentum .  Jocky would rather have had them standing about for 5 mins getting cold and stiffening muscles , Basically telling the players they were shite. 

He then turned to the coach and told him if he wanted his licence then the Jocky method was the only way !  No wonder our game is fucked. 

No friendly this week, of course. You'd think we could have done with working on tactics or formations; testing new players or giving more experience to existing ones; ranking points; etc.

No, no, don't be silly. We don't want to overtune this purring, well-honed football machine.

Tbh I'm not sure a friendly, if it had been arranged, would be welcomed in the current circumstances, but that doesn't excuse this latest passing-up of a precious international date and the chance to work on things. ROI have the right idea, picking large squads and playing as often as possible... It's almost as if they care...

19 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

You mean like Southern Ireland, Brigton?? One PL defender, the rest of the team bottom feeder and Championship plankton......currently beating das Wunderteam of 2016 in Vienna. You'd think they, Wales and Norn Iron are just doing this out of badness if we didn't know any better, wouldn't you!!

In terms of the right back problem, we had two sitting in the house/pub watching that last night. A player like Hutton, protected by a right-half type like Hartley did for him, still has a future of sorts. Its Strachan's management which is dated and past its use-by date. 

Pretty much. Can't honestly say I envy these teams the majority of their players, but they're organised, certainly much more so defensively

I watched Wales last night. Don't know who their fullbacks were, but they did their job. Less emphasis on bombing forward, more on doing their primary task

For me, Hutton was suspect positionally. There again he was asked to bomb forward all the time. I think Paterson's similar. But OK, if we play 4, how about we actually do that. Old school, keep your position, let the 6 in front create. That can lessen the necessity for a holding midfielder so we can still play to our attacking strengths

But whatever way, current system clearly ain't working and needs fixed now

18 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Have they ever given a reason for why we keep passing up friendly dates?

Guest DAVIDB69

This is part of the problem we don't qualify for tournaments so automatically we play less games.

However we don't play many friendlies so we must play maybe half a dozen games a season if we are lucky.

England always qualify always play friendlies, even the likes of wales, n Ireland and south nearly always play friendlies

Why is this even up for debate? He has to go, simple as but we all know he wont quit and the SFA wont sack him so we are stuck with him until the Idiots In the Tartan Army stop following the team like loyal lapdogs and hit the SFA where it hurts, in the pocket.

I watched that dross on Friday and had to endure being told about how well we played, on what Planet is it acceptable to take positives from a 3-0 Defeat where we looked so bad??

I am not one for sacking managers constantly but there is no reasonable argument for him staying.

We don't have good players

No one else can do better

The players love him

Pish. He has no answers to the many problems we have. The same problems are happening over and over again.

There's not much he can do about us not putting chances away. Fair enough. But with a limited group of players the first job is organise, make them solid and hard to beat. That can be done, without question.

You don't need Ferdinand and vidic at centre half to get simple organisation and shape. Get someone in who first and foremost can do this.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I am not one for sacking managers constantly but there is no reasonable argument for him staying.

We don't have good players

No one else can do better

The players love him

Pish. He has no answers to the many problems we have. The same problems are happening over and over again.

There's not much he can do about us not putting chances away. Fair enough. But with a limited group of players the first job is organise, make them solid and hard to beat. That can be done, without question.

You don't need Ferdinand and vidic at centre half to get simple organisation and shape. Get someone in who first and foremost can do this.

That's what separates good managers (the 2 Irish managers) and bad managers (Strachan).

The 2 O'Neils know they have limited players, but by f**k they're organised and hard to beat.  And good managers don't publicly put the players down and tell everyone their limited/shite.

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's what separates good managers (the 2 Irish managers) and bad managers (Strachan).

The 2 O'Neils know they have limited players, but by f**k they're organised and hard to beat.  

In an absolute nutshell.  

The likes of Souness, "he's getting the best out a limited group".  Is he f**k!

As said, look at N Ireland and Rep of Ireland.  Look at Iceland ffs!  Get the group of players into a shape which suits them, get a team hard to beat first and foremost.

I was a huge supporter of Strachan getting the job in the first place, but it's two years to the day since we beat Ireland.  We've done f**k all since.  TWO YEARS.  We've gone so far backwards it's frightening.  He simply has to go. 

29 minutes ago, Desp said:

In an absolute nutshell.  

The likes of Souness, "he's getting the best out a limited group".  Is he f**k!

As said, look at N Ireland and Rep of Ireland.  Look at Iceland ffs!  Get the group of players into a shape which suits them, get a team hard to beat first and foremost.

I was a huge supporter of Strachan getting the job in the first place, but it's two years to the day since we beat Ireland.  We've done f**k all since.  TWO YEARS.  We've gone so far backwards it's frightening.  He simply has to go. 

100% agree. One of the issues I see with Strachan is that he's picking players to play the shape he wants to play rather than finding a shape that suits the players he's got. That's a problem when it comes to international management IMO. He's got a limited player pool of that there's no doubt but rather than finding the best way to set up those decent players he does have at his disposal there's an argument that he's been ignoring those players in favour of players who Strachan feels are a better fit erm, "physically".

On 12 November 2016 at 21:19, johan scott said:

Ah, obviously Charlie Elvin's the man we're looking for then. Inbred teuchter moron.

You're an absolute tw*t. Would you say that about any other group of people? How would you appreciate it if someone judged your work on the basis that you are an 'inbred Jock moron'? Is there any evidence that people from the Highlands are unusually stupid? Because there's evidence right here that you are.

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Charlie Nicholas now saying it's time up for Strachan.

Ach well, I guess that's it then.....Cheerio Gordy. .saying-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12090/10657390/charlie-nicholas-scotland-not-good-enough-under-gordon-strachan

Nicholas is a known dickhead, but you can't really argue with what he's saying apart from when he says he doesn't know if we'll get someone in who'll do better.  They can't do much worse, I'd say.

It's also refreshing to see a pundit and former team mate ripping onto him.  Fair play to Nicholas for that.

Archived