Scottish Championship Winners/Playoffs/Relegated 16/17

Winners, playoffs, relegated.  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

What would happen to Morton if you got through the play offs? Would you still be allowed to play at Cappielow or would they be c***s and make you go elsewhere whilst improvements are made?

Nope. Other than the roof being put over the away end we wouldn't have to do much. The rules have thankfully been changed over the years.

1 minute ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

What about the home end behind the goals wouldn't that need a roof as well?

I am unsure. I hope not. Cappielow will have to be ripped up and built again at some point soon but I'd love at least one season of it in its current form in the top flight.

I am unsure. I hope not. Cappielow will have to be ripped up and built again at some point soon but I'd love at least one season of it in its current form in the top flight.

Aye, it'd be a shame to end up with something like St Mirren's ground which is just a generic stadium unlike what Love Street was before the move.

They have been instructed to move to  any junior ground.Nothing to do with improvements mind you,powers that be believe it will just look a lot better on the telly

Haha. You're a mess mate. Chin up.

Nope. Other than the roof being put over the away end we wouldn't have to do much. The rules have thankfully been changed over the years.

We do not and never have had to put a roof above the away end. If it is good enough for Barcelona to leave fans uncovered, it is certainly good enough for a team based on the sultry Clyde Riviera. If we stayed in the top flight for a year or two then the club would probably do up the WDE but they aren't required to do so.

By virtue of the team being gubbins during much of the expensive TV deal era, Cappielow has retained its dignity as one of the ten oldest football grounds in the world. I'll never have to watch a Morton home game from one of those ridiculous, white elephant stands or shoebox grounds that blight the middle tier of clubs in Scottish football, and that is delightful.

On 2/7/2017 at 19:43, ShaggerG said:

Who was then would you say? I'm not looking for a load of abuse here, just genuinely interested.

I know that Alan McGraw managed for years and was well thought of and others like Stark and McCormack were were liked (I think). Have any Morton managers in that time been poached or left to manage a bigger club or any moved on at the end of their contract that the fans would rather had stayed?

McGraw had a good start and got us into the top tier - and straight back down. Stagnated for 5 years before taking us further down - and back up. Had one more good season (the 95-96 Dundee United & Dunfermline season). After that we returned to being "meh" and would have stayed there had the new chairman not brought in Stark. Unfortunately the new chairman also tried to kill us off and Stark departed and the promising team he was building was dismantled.  

No-one since Stark has come close to Benny Rooney until Duffy arrived.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

McGraw had a good start and got us into the top tier - and straight back down. Stagnated for 5 years before taking us further down - and back up. Had one more good season (the 95-96 Dundee United & Dunfermline season). After that we returned to being "meh" and would have stayed there had the new chairman not brought in Stark. Unfortunately the new chairman also tried to kill us off and Stark departed and the promising team he was building was dismantled.  

Thanks for the reply.

Fair to say that Stark's the only one in relatively recent times that you would have wanted to stay then? I'm sure that you would say the same about Duffy too at the moment though so would be a bit of a blow if he was poached?

Falkirk was Duffy's first managerial appointment and I felt he had us playing good attacking football for the most part. It was only the Salcoats scandal that brought him down!

I liked Stark too but let's not forget he had bucketloads of cash thrown at him and paid fees for - off the top of my head - Archdeacon, Thomas, Twaddle and Duffield.

Thanks for the reply.
Fair to say that Stark's the only one in relatively recent times that you would have wanted to stay then? I'm sure that you would say the same about Duffy too at the moment though so would be a bit of a blow if he was poached?
Falkirk was Duffy's first managerial appointment and I felt he had us playing good attacking football for the most part. It was only the Salcoats scandal that brought him down!

What happened at Saltcoats?

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Thanks for the reply.

I wanted Stark to stay, but totally understand his reasons for going - right after a 6-2 gubbing at Inverness when it was clear that he wouldn't be allowed to keep the players he wanted. There's not one between Stark and Duffy that I'd have back.

Should mention that when McGraw took us to the 3rd tier it was part of the re-shuffle from 3 leagues to 4 and saw a crazy situation where 5 teams were relegated and one promoted (Stranraer). We had no excuses, though, as we finished 2nd bottom ahead of Brechin and would have been relegated any other season too. He was a legend as a player and is a genuinely nice man who still cares about Morton, but stayed too long as manager. 

As for "Saltcoats", don't be a tease - do tell.....

36 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

I wanted Stark to stay, but totally understand his reasons for going - right after a 6-2 gubbing at Inverness when it was clear that he wouldn't be allowed to keep the players he wanted. There's not one between Stark and Duffy that I'd have back.

Should mention that when McGraw took us to the 3rd tier it was part of the re-shuffle from 3 leagues to 4 and saw a crazy situation where 5 teams were relegated and one promoted (Stranraer). We had no excuses, though, as we finished 2nd bottom ahead of Brechin and would have been relegated any other season too. He was a legend as a player and is a genuinely nice man who still cares about Morton, but stayed too long as manager. 

As for "Saltcoats", don't be a tease - do tell.....

Well it goes something like this...mass brawl involving players at a night out which went way beyond the usual nightclub punch ups...Duffy wanted serious disciplinary measures/players freed & the board told him to bolt so he quit in the cream puff ...that's the jist of it anyway. Stuart burgess was the captain & he led a mutiny against Duffy so the story went

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

What happened at Saltcoats?

There was a night club or disco or some such that the players went to and there was some kind of bust up which ultimately led to Duffy leaving (I think)? I don't remember the details but I'm sure that somebody on here will be able to tell us. I think it was the same place that Andy Goram used to go to!

Oops, sorry, hadn't realised that the duke had already replied. He seems to remember a bit more about it than me too.

There was a night club or disco or some such that the players went to and there was some kind of bust up which ultimately led to Duffy leaving (I think)? I don't remember the details but I'm sure that somebody on here will be able to tell us. I think it was the same place that Andy Goram used to go to!
Oops, sorry, hadn't realised that the duke had already replied. He seems to remember a bit more about it than me too.

No doubt Sullivans or the Metro. Goram was friendly with the owner of the former, who may even have owned both. I googled it there and can't say I recall it at the time.

Yeah, the whole story has never emerged, but I'm pretty sure Peter Hetherston, David Beaton and Tom Callaghan, as well as Burgess were for the high jump if Duffy had his way. I think Colin McNair did get the heave, and ended up at Motherwell. There's a whole other story there too...

Duffy has since said he over reacted and should not have quit.

I looked back at the records from that season. God, we were awful that year.

Archived