Scottish Championship Winners/Playoffs/Relegated 16/17

Winners, playoffs, relegated.  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Hibs
2. St Mirren
3. Dundee United
4. Falkirk
5. Rovers
6. Dunfermline
7. QoS
8. Morton
9. Ayr
10. Dumbarton

To be fair, this is fairly biased in terms of Rovers. The top 4 is a shoe-in; just the order which is undecided.

Put it off hoping squads would be complete before the league starts but I've delayed long enough.

1. Hibs
2. Falkirk
3. Dundee United
4. St. Mirren
5. Raith
6. Morton
7. Dunfermline
8. Queen of the South
9. Ayr
10. Dumbarton

Fair bit of guesswork in there, mostly with Morton.

I can't see anyone else making the top four. Would be a total disaster for Hibs or Dundee United not to make it and there's no reason to believe Falkirk won't be as good as last season. St. Mirren have comfortably the fourth best squad in the division and were already hitting top half form under Rae last season with a poorer squad.

Raith have the strongest squad of the rest and could be confident of challenging St. Mirren for fourth, but Gary Locke. The squad is strong enough that even Locke can't take them close to relegation, but having such a dud as a manager surely precludes a credible playoff challenge.

I've said 6th for Morton but really we could be anywhere from 5th to 10th: if by the end of August we have the same squad we have now then I'll be predicting relegation. However we surely have a minimum of three signings to go so I have to take a guess and unusually for me I've gone for an optimistic one. We're too short to have any hope of challenging for the promotion playoffs, but if we add a quality striker - as Duffy has managed late on the last two summers - we can be confident of mid-table. The loss of Gasparotto from a defence which only conceded 42 goals last season will hopefully be balanced out by having a real right back and protection from midfield, while having Tidser fit should make a difference provided he has a striker worthy of the name ahead of him. If the defence remains solid, we can grind out points.

Dunfermline have made some excellent attacking signings and will score a lot, but their defence is a bit of a joke. That'll make them entertaining to watch, but for picking up points you'd far rather it was the other way round. If the likes of Ben Richards-Everton and Nat Wedderburn are featuring regularly it'd be no surprise to see them conceding 60+ goals over the course of the season. Having attacking players as good as Higginbotham and Reilly should keep them safe, but the defence will prevent a playoff challenge.

Queen of the South have a massive boost with the signing of Dobbie, but as good as he is one 33-year old can only do so much. The rest of the squad is decidedly mediocre as it stands, although they're another side who should have more signings to come. Skelton is an unknown quantity too so hard to say how they'll do, once again it's guesswork - like Morton they could  realistically end up anywhere from 5th to 10th.

I haven't predicted Dumbarton to be relegated since their first season up: they have a habit of making anyone who does look extremely stupid. It's also maybe daft to read so much into the League Cup with some teams not taking it as seriously as others, but they've been truly dreadful so far and on the back of a low points total last season and no signings to be excited about, I'm saying bottom. I wouldn't be surprised to see them ending up eighth again, but things are looking really bad for them as it stands.

The only reason I'm predicting Ayr for 9th rather than 10th is how shite Dumbarton's start to competitive action has been rather than anything good about Ayr.

1. Hibs
2. Dundee utd
3. St mirren
4. Raith
5. Falkirk
6. Dunfermline
7. Qos
8. Morton
9. Dumbarton
10. Ayr

I think Falkirk will be good at the back but carry less goal threat this season. Especially from midfield. Others have strengthened while we have stayed same/gone slightly backwards. Losing twenty odd goals and the drive and guile of both Alston and vaulks may cost us a play off place I fear. Gasparotto is a good addition

23 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Bit of ambulance chasing here but the daily record is saying there is a premiership club on the verge of administration so not sure if this would mean another place in the top league available

15 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

...or just a points deduction

Or just the Record regurgitating the same shite story they have run every year for the last 4 years, since the Rangers saga started.

Archived