Irvine Victoria 16/17

IrvineVicsMan

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, poity_uk said:

And as a wee bonus,, a friend sent me this scan of an article from the Evening Times.

Thanks to everyone for all the help :-)

Vics6IM0a.jpg

Good article, my late father who was on the committee at the time, along with a couple of other committee members were going nuts at the end of the game, having done the arithmetic, but the some of the Vics players & management thought they were all steaming:rolleyes:

POITY, did you get the scorers? Am sure Strain scored one in each half along with Les Train(another former meadow player) and Andy Clarkson on the score sheet. The memory isnae as good as it used to be, so would be interesting to see who actually did the damage on the day.

Quote: " and Kilbirnie had better watch out in the semi!"  :shutup

Aye very good, if my memory serves me right they pumped us 6-1 and am sure it was played at Winton Rovers ground. The only positive to come out that game was the performance of Ian Jardine, which I think led to him being signed by Kilmarnock, and they had actually been at the game looking at Hugh Arkison.

T

Tombo, a friend sent me a scan of a first half report.  So, I now know it was 3-0 at half time.  Andy Clarkson got the first two and Chris Strain scored with a penalty.  I believe (because you told me :-) )Chris Strain scored the 6th goal.

The reason I was asking is that I write historical articles for the Meadow programme and interviewed Bert Loach for Saturday's edition.  He brought up the story, but wasn't too sure of the details, and I remembered the situation from reading about it in the Irvine local papers at the time.  Anyway, I just wanted to make sure it was correct before I sent it in to the programme editor.  Your help is much appreciated.  Many thanks.

5 minutes ago, poity_uk said:

Tombo, a friend sent me a scan of a first half report.  So, I now know it was 3-0 at half time.  Andy Clarkson got the first two and Chris Strain scored with a penalty.  I believe (because you told me :-) )Chris Strain scored the 6th goal.

The reason I was asking is that I write historical articles for the Meadow programme and interviewed Bert Loach for Saturday's edition.  He brought up the story, but wasn't too sure of the details, and I remembered the situation from reading about it in the Irvine local papers at the time.  Anyway, I just wanted to make sure it was correct before I sent it in to the programme editor.  Your help is much appreciated.  Many thanks.

POITY, don't believe everything I say, Lol. Everybody who knows me, knows that I am a wind up merchant.:rolleyes:

However, I was a good friend of Chris and we worked together for a long time and I remember him telling me that his late father, who was a staunch meadow supporter, reluctantly congratulated him, after the game for scoring the goal that knocked them out.  I reminded Chris that I was still a youngster when he played with us.

Won't be at the game on Saturday unfortunately, so wont catch the article in the programme.

T

Just received the sad news there, that one of our oldest supporters, Jimmy Rainham died on Monday.

For those of the faithful who were unlucky not to know Jimmy, he was the old boy with pipe who kept the midges away. A true Westenders, in every sense.

Condolences to his family

T

more sad news guys, we have lost another of the Vics family, sorry!

Arthur Brooks,former player has died. Arthur was part of the  league championship winning  side of 1974 and came back to celebrate the 2014 success by unfurling the flag.

Condolences to his family.

T

Referee was abysmal today but can't take away from how poor Vics were also. Nobody wanted the ball to feet, few players hiding. Can't defend crosses to save their selves and just poor all round.

Big no9 for Meadow could have scored 3 or 4 headers today alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Girvan played really well today. Totally dominated the match and could have been a few more goals in it. Was expecting a tougher game to be honest after our encounters last season. All the best for the season though.

Spot on with your post Lineo. Vics were naive today,they were bullied and overall 2nd best. Girvan were worthy winners and looked like scoring every time they were near our box. 

Yes we hit the woodwork a couple of times but it would've only papered over the cracks. Only a few of the Vics players got pass marks today and some of them let their heads go down too early as well.

Going to be a long season.

T

Archived