Football Nation EoS Qualifying Cup 2016-17

Rab B Nesbit

If you read histories of St Bernards FC you will find that the City Cup spent much of the Second World War buried in the terrace at the Gymnasium (Saints were the holders and it was thought that some less than holy witness had tried to nick it and buried it there hoping to maybe pick it up later) until it was uncovered by workmen. 

city cup.jpg

The City Cup in very fetching black and white ribbons (Gretna 2008's in this case, alas) 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A terrific game at K Park today with Spartans coming out on top by 2 goals to 1.  First time I've seen them and they really impressed me.  First half was a real chess match with few real chances but both teams playing a nice passing game.

Second half became more open with more chances being created.  Spartans took the lead and we equalised in stoppage time but just when it looked like extra time would follow Spartans scored with almost the last kick of the ball.

I felt we played very well with some very good individual performances but our final ball was letting us down and Spartans defended really well (they blocked so many crosses).

I have no complaints about the result as I felt Spartans gave a great performance and I hope they win the competition.

Saturday 21st January
(SF) - East Kilbride 1-2 Spartans
(R3) - Whitehill Welfare 2-3 Hawick RA

So the EOS Qualifying Cup Final will pit Spartans against Hawick or LTHV - while the EOS 'City' Cup will feature Berwick, Edinburgh City, Spartans and Hawick or LTHV.

Spartans beat Berwick 3-0 at Shielfield in August... Hawick beat Berwick 3-2 at Shielfield in October... LTHV held Berwick 0-0 at Shielfield last season... :unsure2:...

By my reckoning this is Hawick's first Semi-Final since 1996.

Not sure if that's possible TtB... Traditionally the Scottish League clubs were always drawn at home in SFs (or Final where no SFs). Been a while though so maybe that's altered, and clubs can surrender home advantage anyway - Berwick have done that a couple of times and played at Saughton and Raydale.

According to EOSL website the outstanding SF Hawick v LTHV is on Wednesday 8th February.

As expected the Final occupies its usual mid-March slot, this year Sunday 19th March.

http://www.eosfl.com/matches.asp?sid=8&cid=36&ResultsFixtures=fixtures&clid=All&refid=All&df1=&df2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some season for LTHV?

Won the Alex Jack Cup. Finalists in the South & East Cup-Winner Shield (face Lochar at Mid Annandale on April 29th). Finalists in the EOS Qualifying Cup (face Spartans on March 19th). Semi-Finalists in the EOS Cup (host Berwick on March 8th). Semi-Finalists in the EOS League Cup (host Tynecastle/Eyemouth). Quarter-Finalists in the South Challenge Cup (host Whitehill on March 11th). Quarter-Finalists in the King Cup (host Heriot-Watt Uni/Eyemouth). Sat 1pt clear atop EOS League, 7 games left though Leith are just 2pts behind with 2 games in hand.

Statistically it's a tall order, particularly v SPFL and Lowland clubs - but on paper they could be 19 games from winning 8 trophies in a single season.

Even if a few of them fell by the wayside they could sill be on to equal or surpass the record in the Lowland/EOS leagues which as I recall is held by Spartans or Whitehill with 5 trophies in one season?

Whitehill actually held 6 trophies: in 94-5 they had won the  EOS Premier, King Cup, League Cup, South Qualifying Cup, and EOS Qualifying Cup, and for a spell they still held the City Cup from 93-4. 

IMG_1972.JPG.f08c2884abd5075a2ee0348a26e0dffe.JPG

Spartans v LTHV in the EOS Qualifying Cup Final confirmed for the new 500-seater indoor stadium at Oriam, Riccarton at 3:30pm on Sunday 19th March:

http://www.spartansfc.com/2017/02/27/football-nation-cup-oriam-to-stage-all-edinburgh-cup-final/

The Final of the 2017 Football Nation Qualifying Cup will take place under the roof at the Oriam sports complex at Heriot Watt’s Riccarton site.

Spartans face East of Scotland title challengers Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale on the indoor synthetic surface on Sunday 19th March with a 3.30pm kick-off.

I believe this will be the first-ever competitive senior game - as opposed to friendlies, U20s, Juniors etc. - played indoors in Scotland. Certainly the first senior cup final.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Spartans v LTHV in the EOS Qualifying Cup Final confirmed for the new 500-seater indoor stadium at Oriam, Riccarton at 3:30pm on Sunday 19th March:

http://www.spartansfc.com/2017/02/27/football-nation-cup-oriam-to-stage-all-edinburgh-cup-final/

The Final of the 2017 Football Nation Qualifying Cup will take place under the roof at the Oriam sports complex at Heriot Watt’s Riccarton site.

Spartans face East of Scotland title challengers Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale on the indoor synthetic surface on Sunday 19th March with a 3.30pm kick-off.

I believe this will be the first-ever competitive senior game - as opposed to friendlies, U20s, Juniors etc. - played indoors in Scotland. Certainly the first senior cup final.

Interesting stuff playing the final indoors. Any idea if it will be a ticket game.

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 15:29, The Mantis said:

Whitehill actually held 6 trophies: in 94-5 they had won the  EOS Premier, King Cup, League Cup, South Qualifying Cup, and EOS Qualifying Cup, and for a spell they still held the City Cup from 93-4. 

IMG_1972.JPG.f08c2884abd5075a2ee0348a26e0dffe.JPG

Now we're talking 

On Friday, February 24, 2017 at 18:52, HibeeJibee said:

Left to right in that pic: the EOS League trophy - later remodelled; the City Cup; the King Cup; the Scottish Qualifying Cup South; the EOS Qualifying Cup; and the EOS League Cup?

Probably the worst league trophy in football 

Interestingly - well OK not really - this means Riccarton Campus will host 2 cup finals this season after hosting 2 in total during fully the previous 30 years.

Alex Jack Cup Final was on Heriot-Watt's outdoor park in November.

Having brought forward their EOS 'City' Cup tie with Berwick to a week tonight LTHV could also exit the EOS Cup before completing the EOS Qualifying Cup!

10 hours ago, magoo said:

Probably the worst league trophy in football 

There used to be a decent East of Scotland League trophy- you can see it in old photos of title winning teams up to the 1970s. I think I saw such a team photo at Selkirk one day and asked Keith Anderson, who of course won the title with Selkirk, what happened to the trophy. Apparently in the late 1970s the League Secretary moved house and the trophy was lost in the flitting.

so we ended up with what Monty called, when City won it, the "bollock on a stick"!  

Archived