European away matches - roll of honour

tarapoa

On 7/2/2016 at 09:36, 2pac said:

Fair play like, what ones did you miss we've played nistru otaci, hertha Berlin, Dnipro and the Macedonians from last year in that time frame

Nistru - Didnae really consider

Hertha - Was going, but same week as I was enrolling at RGU

Dnipro - Looked a c**t journey / logistics.

Skopje - Was in Thailand

Add Fola Esch, but nae Ventspils. Swore blind after witnessing that shite last week I'd nae be gan to 2nd round.

Back on it for 3rd.

Nistru - Didnae really consider

Hertha - Was going, but same week as I was enrolling at RGU

Dnipro - Looked a c**t journey / logistics.

Skopje - Was in Thailand

Add Fola Esch, but nae Ventspils. Swore blind after witnessing that shite last week I'd nae be gan to 2nd round.

Back on it for 3rd.

Waiting for the draw to see who we get if we get Lille at least it's an easy tie to get to. I can also add fola

• 3 months later...

Ballymena 2 - 2 Cowdenbeath.  Pre season friendly.  One of 5 Cowden fans at the game (3 from the Dublin supporters club and my Dad :lol: ) saw us fall 2-0 down before a spirited come back.  Think it was the first match Greg Stewart played for us.

Highlight being meeting the Mayor after the game who thanked us for coming over and then getting caught in biblical levels of rain as we ran through town to the train station.

*insert random match vs Berwick here as banter*

1999: VPS Vaasa 1 - 1 St Johnstone 

1999: Monaco 3 - 0 St Johnstone

2012: Eskisehirspor 2 - 0 St Johnstone

2013: Rosenborg 0  - 1 St Johnstone

2014: Luzern 1 - 1 St Johnstone

2015 - Alashkert 1 - 0 St Johnstone

• 4 weeks later...

Too young to go to Linz and Metz sadly.

My one Thistle European memory to date was watching NK Zagreb scoring at Firhill, turning to watch the away support celebrate before realising there weren't any away fans at all. 

In fairness to them, living in Zagreb during the height of the Balkans war was probably safer than Maryhill in the 90's.

• 3 years later...

Also a friendly versus FC Xanthi in Austria - only 3 Dons fans there. Game was moved across Austria at the last minute so we had to traipse across the country for 2 hours on the train, then wait for the midnight train back to Innsbruck. Thank goodness for Interrail passes.

Was having a debate with someone who likes to think he knows AFC well, and mentioned recalling us playing Olympiakos in a friendly in the Aitken era - I believe in Austria or Bavaria and getting absolutely horsed. He had no recollection of this.

Duncan Shearer today mentioned 1996 and certain players getting pished on a pre season tour in Austria, when trying to defend the Soul Bar brigade.

Was this Xanthi match perhaps on the same tour as this Olympiakos drubbing no-one remembers?

Sore one this thread as no one is able to travel this season at least until Group stages according to UEFA.

My away day record in Europe is as follows:

1995 Mypa 47 - Finland

2008 Nancy - France

2009 - Llanelli -Wales

2009 - Steaua Bucharest - Romania

2010 - Breidablik - Iceland

2010 - Odense - Denmark 

2012 - Panathaikos - Greece

So 8 years ago......f**k Covid19 😞

Edited by welldaft

On 11/08/2020 at 18:45, tarapoa said:

Was having a debate with someone who likes to think he knows AFC well, and mentioned recalling us playing Olympiakos in a friendly in the Aitken era - I believe in Austria or Bavaria and getting absolutely horsed. He had no recollection of this.

Duncan Shearer today mentioned 1996 and certain players getting pished on a pre season tour in Austria, when trying to defend the Soul Bar brigade.

Was this Xanthi match perhaps on the same tour as this Olympiakos drubbing no-one remembers?

Yes.

July 27 - half a dozen players went out on the lash in Seefeld

July 28 - goalless draw with Xanthi in Westendorf (the game I attended)

July 30 - pumped 6-0 by Olympiakos, McKimmie sent off with 5 mins to go (he was one of the players fined for the booze incident)

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DONS+SIX+GO+ON+pounds+12%2c000+BOOZE-UP%3b+Roy+hands+out+record+fines.-a061257815

Edited by O_Kahn

21 hours ago, O_Kahn said:

Yes.

July 27 - half a dozen players went out on the lash in Seefeld

July 28 - goalless draw with Xanthi in Westendorf (the game I attended)

July 30 - pumped 6-0 by Olympiakos, McKimmie sent off with 5 mins to go (he was one of the players fined for the booze incident)

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/DONS+SIX+GO+ON+pounds+12%2c000+BOOZE-UP%3b+Roy+hands+out+record+fines.-a061257815

Great stuff O_Kahn - incredibly the normal spot Heritage site has omitted these friendly fixtures

image.thumb.png.3015bce3b618a374b07504743bdba0fe.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2020 at 20:52, welldaft said:

Sore one this thread as no one is able to travel this season at least until Group stages according to UEFA.

My away day record in Europe is as follows:

1995 Mypa 47 - Finland

2008 Nancy - France  ** My debut 

2009 - Llanelli -Wales

2009 - Steaua Bucharest - Romania **

2010 - Breidablik - Iceland

2010 - Odense - Denmark **

2012 - Panathaikos - Greece **

add in 2014 Stjarnan - Iceland **

So 8 years ago......f**k Covid19 😞

** for me.   For the Wales trip, he easiest to get to,  I was flying to Tenerife the following 6am with family, couldn’t risk it.

Not a bad wee run I had, was expecting to clock some travels up this year.