Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

Who's dying on a hill?
Settle down.
It came off a little harsher than I intended, apologies. The view is a little simplistic though, the relative TV deals obviously play a huge part in finances. Many of the clubs mentioned also regularly challenge for/win their respective leagues, potentially gaining access to the champions league. Maribor for example are probably the Slovenian equivalent to rangers or celtic rather than Aberdeen.

I did say a handful of clubs could outspend them. But if clubs from leagues with similar or smaller TV deals, from cities smaller than Edinburgh and Aberdeen, with far, far less opportunity to sell sponsorship and hospitality, with less than half the money coming in through the gate and with no more merchandise sales can outspend them, where is this money coming from?

I don't necessarily disagree with your overall point btw. I think it's clear a team mainly full of average Swiss, Danes, Croats or Austrians is likely to beat a team mainly full of average Scots. We need to find a way to close that gap.

I'm not convinced that the Edinburgh teams or Aberdeen can pull in far more commercial or hospitality revenue than than an equivalent placed team from another league.

As for where the money is coming from I'm not sure as I haven't looked into it enough. We seem to have a different model in Scotland to most other leagues around us. It's hard to remove the old firm from any of these comparisons though.

5AvFGTY.jpg&key=26a919b5a1286f15920d3ba39d844dc597635204159a787845c7730316e87db1

I could go on. How many of them could outspend Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts on wages? A handful. How many would be favourites to put any of our three out of Europe? All of them.

Birkirkara, a Maltese club, should not be favourites to beat a Scots club - the rest, maybe. Lots of money in Cypriot football at the top end despite fairly low domestic attendances - and teams full of S.Americans etc

Where does the money come from in Cyprus? Is there a reason behind it?
According to FIFPro half of the players in Cyprus have two contracts. One is registered with FA, taxes paid etc. The other is an under the table agreement with the rest of the players wage.
Unsurprisingly they have the highest percentage of foreign players and also the highest turnover of players each season of any European league as players look to earn a quick buck.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You disgust me.

How so? I'm cheering on all scottish clubs this season. Everything pointing to Dons in group stages next season as long as we deliver domestically this season.

A reminder the coefficient table can be found here: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2021.html

All three clubs in UEL QR2 are seeded, so a decent chance of them progressing. After that, if they are to make the group stage then each club will basically need to beat one of the top 13 seeds in either QR3 or the play-off round. Celtic should get to the UEL play-off, then it depends on what the draw throws up.

Similar situation for the countries around us though - two unseeded teams from Ukraine and Denmark, one from Turkey and Cyprus in QR3.