Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

16 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Dinnae talk pish.

Celtic win games in Europe for prestige and (more importantly) financial reasons. Boosting the coefficient is a by-product of that.

correct me if i'm wrong but what does any team that competes in Europe win games for, there is no difference between celtic or any other club?apart for the clubs that can win the damn thing

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Sorry about the delay but:

13.  Croatia - 3.625 - 23.750 - 3/4 - Dinamo Zagreb, , Hajduk Split, Lokomotiva Zagreb,
14.  Greece - 1.500 - 23.600 - 3/5 - Olympiacos, PAOK, Panathinikos,

15.  Netherlands - 1.200 - 23.163 - 4/5 - PSV, Ajax, Feyenoord, AZ Alkmaar, 
16.  Romania - 0.700 - 21.750 - 2/5 - Astra, Steaua Bucarest, 
17.  Austria - 3.625 - 21.600 - 3/4 - RB Salzburg, Rapid Wien, Austria Wien, 
18.  Denmark - 4.250 - 19.750 - 4/4 - FC Copenhagen, SonderjyskE, Midtjylland, Brondby
19. Belarus - 2.875 - 19.750 - 1/4 - BATE Borislov
20.   Sweden - 2.750 - 19.725 - 1/4 - IFK Goteburg
21.  Norway - 1.375 - 18.325 - 1/4 - Rosenborg BK

22.  Poland - 1.875 - 17.625 - 1/4 - Legia Warsaw,
23.  Scotland - 2.625 - 17.175 - 1/4 - Celtic
24.  Israel - 3.625 - 16.250 - 3/4 - Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Maccabai Tel-Aviv, Beitar Jerusalem
25.  Azerbaijan - 2.750 - 16.250 - 2/4 - Qarabag, Qabala

Celtic's win is big for Scotland as it means that Poland stay catchable and Norway will be caught if Rosenborg BK lose next week and Celtic win on the night. Belarus and Sweden are also being reeled in. Whilst, Romanian football is collapsing with Steaua losing 5-0 at home to Man Shitty and Astra drawing in Romaina with West Ham.

it's going to be hard for celtic to get 4 or 5 wins,it makes me think that celtic would be better getting third in the champions league then drop into the europa cup and try to get more wins,2 wins in champions league then 2 in the europa cup with the bonus points should be enough,every season the rest of the teams in Scotland leave celtic to much to do 

Last week I thought I'd worked it out that Celtic would be in pot 3 for the group stage draw, but then I found out that the winners of the top 7 leagues automatically get drawn as pot 1 teams. So I've rejigged it and Celtic basically need Rostov to put out Ajax in order to sneak into pot 3. This isn't outwith the realms of possibility. The Russians drew 1-1 in Amsterdam and Ajax have a tricky away tie in Russia to navigate. The away goal could make all the difference in that game.

However, if the groups are drawn with the bonus points all added, then this would change again and Celtic would probably be in pot 3 as they would overtake Brugge. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Actually Celtic will probably overtake Brugge if they get any sort of result in Israel, but maybe the pots are based on seedings at the beginning of the season and my efforts have all been in vain.

23 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Last week I thought I'd worked it out that Celtic would be in pot 3 for the group stage draw, but then I found out that the winners of the top 7 leagues automatically get drawn as pot 1 teams. So I've rejigged it and Celtic basically need Rostov to put out Ajax in order to sneak into pot 3. This isn't outwith the realms of possibility. The Russians drew 1-1 in Amsterdam and Ajax have a tricky away tie in Russia to navigate. The away goal could make all the difference in that game.

However, if the groups are drawn with the bonus points all added, then this would change again and Celtic would probably be in pot 3 as they would overtake Brugge. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Actually Celtic will probably overtake Brugge if they get any sort of result in Israel, but maybe the pots are based on seedings at the beginning of the season and my efforts have all been in vain.

Beginning of the season unfortunately

Poland have overtaken Norway into 21st place. If Rosenborg go out tonight (2-1 down to Austria Vienna) then Scotland should almost definitely overtake Norway too. I reckon 21st place is an achievable target for this season. This basically comes down to who does better in the CL - Legia Warsaw or Celtic. Things will hopefully become clearer after the draw at 5pm today.

20 - Sweden - 19.725

21 - Poland - 18.750

22 - Norway - 18.325

23 - Scotland - 18.175

24 - Israel - 16.500

3 hours ago, Mordecai said:

This basically comes down to who does better in the CL - Legia Warsaw or Celtic. Things will hopefully become clearer after the draw at 5pm today.

Well, that's that, then  :P

Didn't realise Borussia Monchengladbach were back in Europe - there's a blast from the past. At least the old "give us a B!" joke will surely get another airing in Glasgow.

6 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Well, that's that, then  :P

Didn't realise Borussia Monchengladbach were back in Europe - there's a blast from the past. At least the old "give us a B!" joke will surely get another airing in Glasgow.

Yeah, certainly not going to be easy. Legia have a pretty tough group too (Real Madrid, Dortmund and Sporting), but Celtic will probably have to spend some money to get anything from the group whatsoever. Even then it will probably still be rather difficult to better Legia's results.

On a different note - Sweden have just lost their only remaining representation in Europe as Qarabag have just beaten Gothenburg 3-1 on aggregate. I don't see us catching Sweden this year, unless Celtic can scrape 3rd place in the group and get some results in the EL. We have a good chance of overtaking them next season though.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I can't even see Celtic getting a win in this group. Think they'll be 4th by a mile. 

I think a single draw would take us above Norway into 22nd place. We'd need to be wary of Israel catching us though, they still have 2 teams left in the EL.

We need Celtic to get 1 draw to overtake Norway.

We need Celtic to get 1 win+1 draw, or 3 draws, more than Legia Warsaw get (against Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Sporting Lisbon) to overtake Poland.

Israel - with 2 clubs in EL - are equivalent of 3 wins+1 draw, or 7 draws, behind.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Yeah, certainly not going to be easy. Legia have a pretty tough group too (Real Madrid, Dortmund and Sporting), but Celtic will probably have to spend some money to get anything from the group whatsoever. Even then it will probably still be rather difficult to better Legia's results.

I think they will total about 6 points between them.

On 22/07/2016 at 22:22, Chinese Whisperer said:

Who do we think were the 3 countries above Scotland in 1984? Maybe England, Germany & Italy?

I remember in the early 80s that exactly half of the Premier Division qualified for Europe, our coefficient was so high!

Germany, England and Spain were the 3 above us in 1984.

Half the 10-team Premier Division qualified for Europe in 1982-83, 1983-84, 1984-85 and 1985-86... intervening 2 seasons still had 5 slots but 12-team Premier... and in 1988-89.

(In 1994-95 we had 5 slots but this included Partick in the Intertoto and Raith qualified from the First Division - although granted they were also promoted into Premier).

However, our greatest-ever season was 2008-09 when half the 12-team SPL qualified for Europe.

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, it's worth adding that in 1960-61 half of the 18-team Division One qualified for something, under the various options on the go in those early days. Rangers (1st) the European Cup; Kilmarnock (2nd) the International Soccer League; Third Lanark, Celtic, Motherwell, and Aberdeen (3rd-6th) the Anglo-Franco-Scottish Cup; Hearts & Hibs (7th & 8th) the Fairs Cup; and Dunfermline Athletic qualified to the Cup-Winners' Cup.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Christ, I'd already forgotten about the Intertoto.

I don't think I'd known that the tournament had been around long before UEFA started using it to offer up UEFA Cup places, nor that (according to Wiki, at least) Hibernian finished in one of the runner-up slots at one point (presumably Hibsing the final game after taking a seemingly-unassailable lead). Anyone know when that was?