Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

19 hours ago, Dunty said:

Brondby have an average of around 15,000, so it'll be interesting to see what they get this week.

Season ticket holders get free entry so it might be decent. In general I can't imagine there'll be much enthusiasm for the match though, I've been to FCK Europa League games against decent clubs and the attendance is middling. This is a good excuse for me to post one of my favourite fun facts though:

On the famous English football song "Three Lions" the crowd noise is that of Brondby (literally: Well City) fans. Ian Broudie recorded them in the process of beating Liverpool 1-0 in the UEFA Cup courtesy of a Dan Eggen goal.

The one good thing about having teams in QR1 is the chance to pick up some early coefficient points before some of our rivals. The bad thing is teams are at risk of being knocked out.

We picked up 3 out of 4 points, so it's not too bad, we do still have a small head start on the nations we're chasing. And we've made it to QR2 with all our clubs still intact, so althiugh 4/4 and a resounding win for Aberdeen would have been perfect, we're okay. 

I suspect Birkikara and Ventspils will be a step up in quality, but hopefully Hearts and Aberdeen will improve as they begin to get into their stride. 

Hibs are up against it but it's not Real Madrid they're playing. I'd say the tie is only 60/40 in Brondby's favour.

Celtic surely will win home and away comfortably?

So, 2/2 for Celtic. At *least* 1.5 for both Hearts and Aberdeen (home win, away draw) and 1 point for Hibs (home win, away defeat), that's 6 out of 8 coefficient points and maybe even all 4 into the next round. I'd take that.

Edited by La_Leyenda

On 1 July 2016 at 10:44 AM, La_Leyenda said:

Only Austria and Croatia had teams playing in this round from that group above.

Austria: Admira Wacker 1-1 Spartak Myjava

Could be a tricky second leg for them in Slovakia. Good chance they might go out.

Croatia: UE Santa Coloma 1-3 Lokomotiva

They should probably be alright.

Admira Wacker won the second leg 3-2, so made it through.

Lokomotiva won 4-1, and 7-2 on aggregate. 

Norway and Poland, who are both ahead of us in the coefficients, both had a club each knocked out in QR1, a huge blow for them. Stabaek lost at home to a Welsh team Connah's Quay, and Cracovia got knocked out by Shkendija, who Aberdeen knocked out last season.

-Like I said in a previous post, realistically we're not going to get to the top 15 in one season. Two good seasons is still very hard but maybe doable. So keep an eye on Greece, Holland, Romania, Croatia and Austria as that's who are in and around 15th spot if looking at the coefficient table two years ahead.

The fixtures next week in QR2 are:-

Champions League

Red Bull Salzburg v Liepaja

Vardar v Dynamo Zagreb

Europa League

Austria Vienna v Kukesi

Admira Wacker v Kapaz

RoPS v Lokomotiva

CSMS Lasi v Hajduk Split

Pas Giannina v Odd

So three Austrian teams, three Croatians, one Romanian, one Greek, no Dutch.

19 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Oh here we go....more failure in Europe. If Celtic lost to a club with inferior resources like Aberdeen did, it'd be carve up time by the media. I suspect this will not receive the same attention.

except Aberdeen won the tie

So, 2/2 for Celtic. At *least* 1.5 for both Hearts and Aberdeen (home win, away draw) and 1 point for Hibs (home win, away defeat), that's 6 out of 8 coefficient points and maybe even all 4 into the next round.

[emoji23] Hibs will get absolutely Malmo'd home and away. Zero points. Thankfully they don't issue negative points!

On 07/07/2016 at 7:37 PM, Davie Bhoy said:

Oh here we go....more failure in Europe. If Celtic lost to a club with inferior resources like Aberdeen did, it'd be carve up time by the media. I suspect this will not receive the same attention.

We (rightly) got slaughtered after bad results versus Skonto Riga, Bohemians and Vilnius, so I don't think that's true. You're not the first person this week to try and turn a bad result for Aberdeen into a Celtic issue.  It's a bit weird.

There's a chart here from @BytheminAFC which shows the relative performance of Scottish teams versus their seeding.  Interesting reading.

CmyMjJXWIAAvJGc.jpg:large

Edited by O_Kahn

Well here's the updated table

Rank - Country - 16-17-  Total - teams left
15. Romania - 0.000 - 21.050 - 4/4
16. Croatia - 0.500 - 20.625 - 4/4
17. Austria - 0.750 - 18.350 - 4/4
18. Sweden - 1.000 - 17.975 - 4/4
19. Belarus - 1.000 - 17.875 - 4/4
20. Norway - 0.750 - 17.450 - 3/4
21. Denmark - 1.000 - 16.500 - 4/4
22. Poland - 0.250 - 16.125 -  3/4
23. Scotland - 0.750 - 15.300 - 4/4
24. Azerbaijan - 0.875 - 14.375 - 4/4

We seem to be reeling in Poland and could catch them by the end of the next Round.

Edited by Marr1
A Polish side got punted

Well here's the updated table

Rank - Country - 16-17-  Total - teams left
15. Romania - 0.000 - 21.050 - 4/4
16. Croatia - 0.500 - 20.625 - 4/4
17. Austria - 0.750 - 18.350 - 4/4
18. Sweden - 1.000 - 17.975 - 4/4
19. Belarus - 1.000 - 17.875 - 4/4
20. Norway - 0.750 - 17.450 - 3/4
21. Denmark - 1.000 - 16.500 - 4/4
22. Poland - 0.250 - 16.125 -  4/4
23. Scotland - 0.750 - 15.300 - 4/4
24. Azerbaijan - 0.875 - 14.375 - 4/4

We seem to be reeling in Poland and could catch them by the end of the next Round.

Did Cracovia not get put out? So Poland should be at 3/4? Which is also good news for us.

Yes, although it doesn't fill you with hope when they lose to a team who have never won a game in Europe.

If they struggle in this round against this calibre of opposition...

Apologies we didn't fill you, a lunatic Celtic fan, with hope

Norway who are a few places above us are in danger of losing all of there teams in the next round. While Poland who are just above us could lose a couple of teams aswell. With Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts we could take 6+ plus (CL is 2 points for a win I think) meaning that we could overtake both of them very soon.

Apologies we didn't fill you, a lunatic Celtic fan, with hope

Listen mate, when it comes to Scottish clubs in Europe, I want them all to do well....well apart from one. Even then, if we're doing well I don't grudge them a wee run.

The fact is that given the draw, you should've done better. No amount of sarcastic replies from you or anyone else will change that.

For this season so far we're sitting 33rd (joint 28th on average points), but I'd expect this to increase quite quickly as there are plenty of countries above us who have already lost teams - Georgia for example have the same points as us (0.75), but have 3 teams already knocked out and are depending on Dinamo Tbilisi to gather the rest of their points.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/ccoef2017.html

As has been mentioned previously, we're sitting 23rd overall at the moment on the tails of Poland. I'd expect Legia Warsaw to get through their tie against NK Zrinjski, but it may not be a cakewalk against the Bosnian champions. Elsewhere Zaglebie Lubin have a trickier tie against Partizan Belgrade whilst Piast Gliwice will be doing well to get through against Gothenburg. It's not unrealistic to say that Poland could be left with one team in Europe after this round.

Hopefully Aberdeen and Hearts can do the business in this round and Hibs manage to get some sort of positive result in one of their legs against Brondby and then we can start looking up the table to the dizzying heights of Norway and Belarus.