Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

Both Austria and Serbia have no teams left - which means we've confirmed 9th place for the 2023/24 access list. We'll start next season in 8th so any points Rangers can score now will extend the current gap of 2.400 (12 wins) we have over Austria.

Plus of course add to their club coefficient so they may well be seeded in all qualifying rounds if they finish 2nd in the league.

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Both Austria and Serbia have no teams left - which means we've confirmed 9th place for the 2023/24 access list. We'll start next season in 8th so any points Rangers can score now will extend the current gap of 2.400 (12 wins) we have over Austria.

Plus of course add to their club coefficient so they may well be seeded in all qualifying rounds if they finish 2nd in the league.

We’ll get pot 1 anyway?

I don't know if this has been asked elsewhere on the thread, so apologies for any repetition.

How will they determine where the Europa League winners are placed in next seasons Champions League? I'm assuming they'll go into the group stage draw, but are EL winners immediately placed in Pot 1 say? Or is their pot designation down to co-efficient?

59 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

I don't know if this has been asked elsewhere on the thread, so apologies for any repetition.

How will they determine where the Europa League winners are placed in next seasons Champions League? I'm assuming they'll go into the group stage draw, but are EL winners immediately placed in Pot 1 say? Or is their pot designation down to co-efficient?

Pot 1 isn't decided by club coefficients any longer. It's the CL winners, EL winners and champions of top 6 leagues by coefficient. So England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France and Portugal.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They were pot one this year. Assume would be the same.

37 minutes ago, DMCs said:

Pot 1 isn't decided by club coefficients any longer. It's the CL winners, EL winners and champions of top 6 leagues by coefficient. So England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France and Portugal.

Cheers both. 

4 hours ago, Orbix said:

We’ll get pot 1 anyway?

Who is "we"? If you mean Rangers then they won't get pot 1 in the CL unless they win the EL. Likely to be on the border between pot 3/4. Would be pot 1 in the EL GS though.

11 minutes ago, greenockraver said:

If rangers win the uel, what happens to the automatic and qualifiers places in the spfl? Can scotland have 3 representitves in the champions league?

No, only two teams. If they finish 2nd then it's two in the group stage. Win the league and Celtic would be in the third qualifying round (due to the EL title holder spot being vacated)

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

No, only two teams. If they finish 2nd then it's two in the group stage. Win the league and Celtic would be in the third qualifying round (due to the EL title holder spot being vacated)

It is still theoretically possible, because Hearts can mathematically still finish 2nd. That would put Celtic and Hearts in the CL qualifiers via the league, and Rangers in the group stage via the EL. 

But it won't happen in practice, of course.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

It is still theoretically possible, because Hearts can mathematically still finish 2nd. That would put Celtic and Hearts in the CL qualifiers via the league, and Rangers in the group stage via the EL. 

But it won't happen in practice, of course.

That would be a hoot if we went from typically no teams to 3 teams in the group stages! 

Hopefully Scotland can maintain a high position over a longer period. If we stay 12th or above that guarantees third place a group stage spot and the money that comes with it. 

Even though Scotland is 11th in the access list next season, I don't think it will be any harder to pick up points than it was this season where we were 14th.

Our third place team could see a big improvement. If Hearts could win 2 and draw 1 in the Conference League group stage that's the equivalent of 5 wins in qualifying. St Johnstone managed 2 draws in qualifying this season. Rangers likely won't pick up as many points but they dropped a lot of points in qualifying and weren't flawless in the groups. Celtic could improve a bit and the 4th and 5th teams will hopefully pick up a few wins. At least we should look to never drop below 15 to keep 5 European spots. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I’m absolutely brand new to this forum game but have 1 burning question that I can’t figure out. 

We currently have 5 European spots available (4 through the league, 1 through the Scottish Cup). Should Hearts win their Scottish Cup semi vs Hibs, 5th place is automatically guarenteed European football. 

However, if the Rangers win the Europa (I think they have every chance) does that Europa league spot trickle down again? Guaranteeing 6th place European football? 

From a pessimistic Arab just looking for 3 points from either Hibs away on Saturday or Dundee at home in the derby.

23 minutes ago, FJackson said:

Hi guys, I’m absolutely brand new to this forum game but have 1 burning question that I can’t figure out. 

We currently have 5 European spots available (4 through the league, 1 through the Scottish Cup). Should Hearts win their Scottish Cup semi vs Hibs, 5th place is automatically guarenteed European football. 

However, if the Rangers win the Europa (I think they have every chance) does that Europa league spot trickle down again? Guaranteeing 6th place European football? 

From a pessimistic Arab just looking for 3 points from either Hibs away on Saturday or Dundee at home in the derby.

No because Rangers would already qualify for the CL by finishing in the top two.

Edited by Ginaro

On 18/03/2022 at 20:34, Buckets said:

Hopefully Scotland can maintain a high position over a longer period. If we stay 12th or above that guarantees third place a group stage spot and the money that comes with it.

Who gets "the money that comes with it"?

10 hours ago, FJackson said:

No, the only way Rangers winning the Europa League would get Scotland an extra place would be if Rangers finished outside the European spots.