Coefficientwatch

lionel hutz

5 hours ago, Ginaro said:

We are currently 14th (guaranteed 15th) in the 2019-20 ranking: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2020.html

That sets the allocation for the 2021-22 access list, so during the 2020-21 season that's what clubs will be competing for - i.e. two CL, one EL, two ECL at the end of this season.

Ok, let’s see if I can get my head around this:

So for this season:

1. CL qualifying round 3

2. CL qualifying round 2

3. Europa League qualifying round 3 (assuming cup winner is one of top 3 teams)

4. Europa Conference League qualifying round 2

5. Europa Conference League qualifying round 2

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Ok, let’s see if I can get my head around this:

So for this season:

1. CL qualifying round 3

2. CL qualifying round 2

3. Europa League qualifying round 3 (assuming cup winner is one of top 3 teams)

4. Europa Conference League qualifying round 2

5. Europa Conference League qualifying round 2

Yes, but, subject to a wee push up the line dependent on who wins the champions league and europa league 2020/21. If those were both teams with domestic success meaning they vacate their winner spot then it could mean 3 is pushed in the the Europa PO round meaning guaranteed group stage football (eg Conference League if they lose). 

Absolutely huge potential for one of the Scottish clubs

I'm assuming third place teams in the group no longer get punted into the next competition down? Otherwise struggling to see how that could work.
Still get punted down unfortunately.

3rd in CL groups will drop down and play a knockout round against the 2nd place teams from the EL.
3rd in EL will drop down and play 2nd place teams from ECL groups too.

Oh okay, ta.  I was struggling to work out how a 24 team knockout would work! 

I don't mind that, tbh. It means finishing 1st has a genuine reward above finishing 2nd. Will keep the groups competitive for longer.

I would also have it so that Champions League last sixteen was just one leg, with the group winners getting home advantage. Again, it gives a genuine reward for better performance and keeps the groups competitive.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

Still get punted down unfortunately.

3rd in CL groups will drop down and play a knockout round against the 2nd place teams from the EL.
3rd in EL will drop down and play 2nd place teams from ECL groups too.

This is sounding better and better.

So the 3rd Scottish team could win two matches and survive in Europe until the end of February. Heady days.

One match in the PO round and one match in the group being good enough to finish 3rd in the group and fall in to the ECL last 32.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:
Oh okay, ta.  I was struggling to work out how a 24 team knockout would work! 

I don't mind that, tbh. It means finishing 1st has a genuine reward above finishing 2nd. Will keep the groups competitive for longer.

I would also have it so that Champions League last sixteen was just one leg, with the group winners getting home advantage. Again, it gives a genuine reward for better performance and keeps the groups competitive.

I don't mind it for the 3rd in CL dropping down. It seems fairly sensible. 3rd in EL dropping down is a bit much though.

In theory (I think) teams could play against each other 6 times in a season now. CL quali, EL quali and ECL knockout.

13 minutes ago, d31 said:

This is sounding better and better.

So the 3rd Scottish team could win two matches and survive in Europe until the end of February. Heady days.

One match in the PO round and one match in the group being good enough to finish 3rd in the group and fall in to the ECL last 32.

Don't think 3 will get you through very often. 5-6 is seems to happen a fair amount though.

Edited by charger29

32 minutes ago, charger29 said:

I don't mind it for the 3rd in CL dropping down. It seems fairly sensible. 3rd in EL dropping down is a bit much though.

Seems okay to me, basically the same principal. Keeps it interesting for all the teams. Even if you're shite, you still have a chance of third and continued European competition. If you're one of the better teams you'll be aiming to top the group and avoid the 2nd vs ECL throwouts playoff round. There should be very few dead rubbers.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

2 hours ago, d31 said:

Yes, but, subject to a wee push up the line dependent on who wins the champions league and europa league 2020/21. If those were both teams with domestic success meaning they vacate their winner spot then it could mean 3 is pushed in the the Europa PO round meaning guaranteed group stage football (eg Conference League if they lose). 

Wow. 
That’s great. The fact almost half the premiership gets to Europe has to have the SPFL pretty happy, plus makes the fight for the top 6 even more important.

3 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Wow. 
That’s great. The fact almost half the premiership gets to Europe has to have the SPFL pretty happy, plus makes the fight for the top 6 even more important.

Yes it is a very exciting prospect

Now that there are 5 European spots on offer, should one of them be allocated to the winner of the League Cup? Not that'll probably matter, but on the off chance a club out with the best four teams in the league wins it.

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

Now that there are 5 European spots on offer, should one of them be allocated to the winner of the League Cup? Not that'll probably matter, but on the off chance a club out with the best four teams in the league wins it.

No, because there’s no guarantee it stays 5 spots forever. 

4 hours ago, d31 said:

Just to clarify - whether the CL and EL title holder spots are used have no bearing on us as association 14, as you can see from the changes at: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2019.html

Only the gap created by a lack of ECL title winner will have any affect on us, if as we expect UEFA move up the cup winners from association 7, and then 13+14 as well.

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

There's now nine countries who have a league cup, and only one awards a European place (England with their 7 clubs) - don't think we need to bother, in case we end up with someone from outside the top 4 or 5 representing us in Europe.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Just to clarify - whether the CL and EL title holder spots are used have no bearing on us as association 14, as you can see from the changes at: https://kassiesa.net/uefa/AccessList2019.html

Only the gap created by a lack of ECL title winner will have any affect on us, if as we expect UEFA move up the cup winners from association 7, and then 13+14 as well.

There's now nine countries who have a league cup, and only one awards a European place (England with their 7 clubs) - don't think we need to bother, in case we end up with someone from outside the top 4 or 5 representing us in Europe.

So this is a one off for one year then (if it relys on there being no winner of the Conference League)? 

1 hour ago, d31 said:

So this is a one off for one year then (if it relys on there being no winner of the Conference League)?

Possibly - of course this is the only season that we know for sure that the ECL title holder spot will not be used. Following seasons the winners may well have already qualified for the CL or EL group stage via their league position so it would be vacated again. If the ECL winner has not qualified for Europe at all then they'd get the EL group stage spot.

However the complicated scenario is where the winners are from a country outside the top 4 and taking part in qualifying for the CL or EL - the title holder spot would need to be kept open until it was confirmed they had got to the EL group stage (or CL play-off round). Which might be too late for our cup winners to be moved up.

Edited by Ginaro

Rangers earned as many UEFA coefficient points this season as Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund (18.00), and more than Real Madrid (17.00). Celtic (16.50) were not far behind them.

Quite a good stat that eh.

On 11/08/2020 at 13:59, Ginaro said:

Wouldn't a team who won a domestic cup have a better chance of doing well in Europe than a team finishing fourth or fifth in the league?